There’s something wrong with my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKenshi

Reaction score
i recently made a great batch of Irish Ale. Tasted great, the color was almost perfect, the ABV slightly high but not off putting. I primed and bottled and the carbonation turned out just right.

But now that they’ve conditioned for awhile I have this problem where every time I pour one, (see first picture) within a few minutes it just vanishes (see second picture).

This has happened with the last six I’ve opened, and it’s not just me. The same thing happens to my wife.

What can I do to fix this, or is it too late?

Attachments

• 06DB593D-6B1A-47EF-875A-033F741FD40D.jpeg
    06DB593D-6B1A-47EF-875A-033F741FD40D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 208
  • ADA4D963-BE48-4657-8DB3-51F66C045BBF.jpeg
    ADA4D963-BE48-4657-8DB3-51F66C045BBF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 199
Hmm. My guess is poor control of mash acidity. You need a mash pH of 5.2 to 5.4 to ensure proper conversion, taste, and storage. Outside of that range, problems can occur. You should read up about this. It's obviously too acidic if it's eating through the glass, creating pinholes for the beer to drain.

Try some baking soda next time.

Have you had your house fumigated for Irish? I had the same problem when I made an Irish ale, turned out I had a whole family of Irish living in the cupboard. It's amazing how quick they are, you barely see them.

This has happened with the last six I’ve opened, and it’s not just me. The same thing happens to my wife.

It's not too late for you, but it requires quick action. Pack them securely and send them all to me. I have a fully equipped beer disappearith lab (in my belly). I will rigorously test these beers to the emptiest to determine why the liquid seems to be evaporating at such rapid rates. According to made up by me Irish folklore, this sounds like a case of an ancient curse placed on Irish beers by the people of Hunapish, a lost island off the shores of Austria. The symptoms of the curse, aside from the rapid evaporation, include slurring of word, loss of balance, inhanced courage, loud laughing, loss of self control and headaches in the morning.

If you were up on your Irish lore you would know this is clearly the work of Brownies - If you just set a small plate of bread, and a small bowl of milk on the back porch each night, their mischief will soon cease. I had this same thing happen with a fine batch of stout - One day my wife went to get one and our keg was completely dry!!! When she asked what happened to all of it, I had to explain the whole Brownie lore thing - because she is not Irish. Clearly if she had been putting out the bread and milk this would have been prevented . . . . She was skeptical. As I said she is not Irish - But that is how it went.

I have had this issue before, it was the 32 year old unemployed Troll that lives in the basement, it would wake up late at night when everyone else was fast asleep and visit the beer frig out in the garage, I had to place a lock on said beer frig and this cured the mystery of missing brews.

Back