The yeast bay lacto blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtobrew1981

Reaction score
So I pitched the yeast bays lacto blend about 36 hrs ago at around 90 f and just let the temp free fall but no real sour taste. Will the sourness come in time or should I pitch another lacto blend. A side note I pitched oyl 605 in the same wort different vessel and got results with that. So it's making me think the yeast was possibly bad maybe. So my question is should I take some of the other wort and blend it with the one that's not so sour or just pitch oyl605 into other vessel . Or do nothing and pitch my sacc. I also am not boiling to kill the lacto .

What is your wort's IBU level? I'm assuming you're at the kettle souring stage and haven't introduced any hops yet, but assumptions aside:

According to TYB site, that mix contain plantarum, brevis, and an unknown strain of lacto. Plantarum is pretty hearty (temp), but the page for this mix states "higher IBUs may result in very slow or no souring (testing is still ongoing to determine IBU at which lactic acid production is inhibited)".

Last edited:
0 ibus I've since applied a heat pad inside a sleeping bag to try to get the temp up for90 degrees

I haven't used that product but generally I'd suggest waiting another day or two.
Was the vial in date & stored properly to your knowledge?

Ideally you should monitor progress with a pH meter. You can't necessarily taste the acid when there is still so much sugar. FWIW it's not fully safe to be tasting it either (assuming you didn't pre-acidify).

Also you want to monitor to be sure the temperature isn't too high. Excessively high temps can slow or kill your Lacto.

Good luck & keep us updated :)

So took a ph reading today and ph for the Carboy with oyl605 was 3.1 ph for the carboy that has theyeast bay lacto blend 3.3. Pitched wlp 590 French saison into both

Nick from The Yeast Bay here! 3.3 is typically where the blend will settle after ~48-72 hours. I specifically selected strains for that blend that will not drive the pH much lower than 3.25-3.3. Perhaps it's just my personal taste creeping into my products, but any pH lower than 3.2-3.3, the lactic profile dominates the beer and overpowers the palate, and tends to drown out yeast driven character. Glad it got down there for you though!

Lemme know if you have any other questions, you can feel free to email me as well at [email protected], or [email protected] (probably easier to remember the latter :)).

What's the best temp for this stuff? I pitched at 100° and let it settle to 95°. Is that in the range for a 36-48 hour sour?

EDIT: Well crap, looks like I screwed up and should have kept it lower, around 85° - 90°. Hopefully I didn't screw it up by keeping it above 90° for around 6 or 7 hours.

Last edited:
Nick from the Yeast Bay again. 90-95°F is good, even up to 100 °F for a short moment time isn’t going to kill the lactobacillus or anything like that, around 100 °F or little higher you will likely just see slower activity.

Thanks, good to know. I cranked it down to 88° last night and I'm going to take a pH reading this evening (at around 30 hours post pitch) to see where I'm at. I'm aiming for 3.5.

In case anyone was wondering, it was down to 3.5 at around 4pm this afternoon, which would be about 27 hours post-pitch. It smelled and tasted amazing, can't wait!

BTW, I waited until I boiled before I tasted, is it safe to taste after lacto but before the boil (or pasteurization)?

Last edited:
BTW, I waited until I boiled before I tasted, is it safe to taste after lacto but before the boil (or pasteurization)?
Probably ;)
The Lacto isn't dangerous at all, so it's only unsafe if it gets contaminated with something else. Pre-sour boil and pre-acidification help a lot. Should be OK if you're not the guy with sewage in his kettle.

Yes agreed you can taste without boiling if you use a commercial culture. The only way I wouldn't taste without boiling is if I harvested the lacto from grain

Back