The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bigger question IMO is how does Darryl keep up with his crossbow bolts. I can't keep track of 5 for a whole deer season. I don't think I have seen another crossbow during the entire series, so I wouldn't think x-bow bolts would be easy to come by.

Daryl's current crossbow isn't his original remember? He got his from the Kingdom, which seemed to have a few. He's also been shown to make his own on the show, so apparently he's a pretty decent fletcher.

We've also seen him collect his shot bolts from things he's shot. ZA fans often cite that as a reason to use an archery weapon.

My long range set-up of choice would be a simple bolt action .22 with a scope. That's enough to ping through their heads without dealing with recoil.

Short range I would opt for two of those telescoping batons that cops use.

.22 LR has lots of advantages. Range. Low weight and small size per round. A box may be 50-550 rounds. Some .22s can easily handle shorts, sub sonics, and LR -- so not as loud as other options, and it may increase the ability to find ammo. Low, almost no, recoil. Plenty stopping power for its main role in a ZA.

For melee, I'd like a hatchet or machete. Both can be used as weapons and tools. A hatchet could be a hammer. A machete is a large knife. A sharp hatchet can do some knife work, but it'd take maintenance to keep the edge.

For a handgun, 9mm. Semiautos are plenty reliable. Sixteen shots. Stopping power. Common ammo.

I'd want a multitool knife. The tool features would be invaluable, and it could still be a weapon.

If I went archery, it'd be a recurve. 35-50 pounds draw. Stick and string simple. Quiet. Not as bulky as a crossbow.

For a big rifle, I wouldn't go too big. AK or SKS. Rough and tumble guns that take a beating and keep working. Common. Essentially 30 cal, can drop anything living in North America. High capacity available.

.22 LR has lots of advantages. Range. Low weight and small size per round. A box may be 50-550 rounds. Some .22s can easily handle shorts, sub sonics, and LR -- so not as loud as other options, and it may increase the ability to find ammo. Low, almost no, recoil. Plenty stopping power for its main role in a ZA.

For melee, I'd like a hatchet or machete. Both can be used as weapons and tools. A hatchet could be a hammer. A machete is a large knife. A sharp hatchet can do some knife work, but it'd take maintenance to keep the edge.

For a handgun, 9mm. Semiautos are plenty reliable. Sixteen shots. Stopping power. Common ammo.

I'd want a multitool knife. The tool features would be invaluable, and it could still be a weapon.

If I went archery, it'd be a recurve. 35-50 pounds draw. Stick and string simple. Quiet. Not as bulky as a crossbow.

For a big rifle, I wouldn't go too big. AK or SKS. Rough and tumble guns that take a beating and keep working. Common. Essentially 30 cal, can drop anything living in North America. High capacity available.

Short range / hand to hand
Yes, you are right. A hatchet or machete would be a better tool than batons. The reason I was thinking telescoping batons is size and weight impact primarily. However, I also thought that I wouldn't want to accidentally cut myself with the same blade used to slice-n-dice zombies. Too risky...I would rather have a separate multi-tool like you had mentioned.

Archery
While I am good with the bow, I wouldn't go that route. It has too many potential failure points, and getting replacement strings is going to be rough. In addition, they are bulky and the accuracy is not on par with that of a scoped .22; however, they surely are quiet. I wouldn't go the bow route though.

Big guns
I wouldn't bother, myself.

I'd also like a backpack or sling bag. I'd carry water, food, clothes, a plastic tarp, boots, rope, twine, tape, kitchen sink. I mean, while we're getting our fantasy ZA gear together.

Fire making tools would be in my pockets.

If "Fear The Walking Dead" has taught us anything, all you have to do is slather yourself in zombie guts and you're invisible to them. No need for any defense other than having a few dead zombies around to provide you with zombie funk.

If "Fear The Walking Dead" has taught us anything, all you have to do is slather yourself in zombie guts and you're invisible to them. No need for any defense other than having a few dead zombies around to provide you with zombie funk.

Yeah, but then again you do have to deal with the humans...need weapons for that, most of the time.

I'd also like a backpack or sling bag. I'd carry water, food, clothes, a plastic tarp, boots, rope, twine, tape, kitchen sink. I mean, while we're getting our fantasy ZA gear together.

Fire making tools would be in my pockets.

You'd be better off with some filtration system...lol kitchen sink

Anyone else note the brewers working in the background when Eugene first arrived to the sanctuary and was touring it around. As a homebrewer I constantly find myself trying to calculate the possible logistics of brewing quality beer to supply a Walking Dead settlement. Equipment (the Sanctuary has a kickass forge and the Hilltop in the comics is renowned for their blacksmith), scavenging or producing ingredients, challenges with meeting production quotas, concepts like refrigeration, storage, bottling/kegging, Co2, access to knowledge sources, open versus closed fermentation, how you would pull off good lagers, and even how many points I could rack up brewing in the Sanctuary ie how valuable would this occupation be. During field exercises in the Marine Corps I always invested and packed excess amounts of chew and cigarettes because you could always bank on people not preparing enough to supply their habit and being willing to pay extra to fuel it. Anyone else think about crap like this outside the obvious scenarios like supplying food, water, medicine, ammunition etc?

biggest problem with brewing in a post-apocalyptic world is the re-purposing of your most valuable resource: water

while knowing how to make alcohol is a good skill to have when the world turns, using 8 gallons of water to make 2 cases or a sixtel of beer is a bad trade-off, IMO

I guess if you're in the situation the Saviors are in, you would access to plenty of water & refrigeration. then the raw materials would be the sticking point.

It is fiction, though. We shouldn't expect documentary realism.

I know its just fun to over-analyze fiction sometimes. :rockin: We were debating who would win in a death match between Tigger and Pooh on another thread. (Tigger would kick his chubby ass by the way)

biggest problem with brewing in a post-apocalyptic world is the re-purposing of your most valuable resource: water

while knowing how to make alcohol is a good skill to have when the world turns, using 8 gallons of water to make 2 cases or a sixtel of beer is a bad trade-off, IMO

I guess if you're in the situation the Saviors are in, you would access to plenty of water & refrigeration. then the raw materials would be the sticking point.

How scarce is it compared to other resources? There has always been an emphasis of struggle for other resources in the show and comics yet water hasn't been one. Could also go the route of the old days and repurpose a specific amount of runoff for small bier consumption consisting of beer with less than 0.5%-1% ABV for hydration needs over pure water.

Think it's less an issue when they're settled in one place as opposed to them being on the move

I was thinking in terms of the same premise. Basic needs like food, water, and security would need to be firmly established before a group could start investing in other issues like brewing. Imagine Rick yelling at Carl when they're on the move, "Don't be an idiot Carl we can't leave that behind! That's 5 gallons of quality NEIPA! Leave that pack of food behind and strap that conical to your back! It's still got maybe got a week left before it finishes out!"

Short range / hand to hand
Yes, you are right. A hatchet or machete would be a better tool than batons. The reason I was thinking telescoping batons is size and weight impact primarily. However, I also thought that I wouldn't want to accidentally cut myself with the same blade used to slice-n-dice zombies. Too risky...I would rather have a separate multi-tool like you had mentioned.

Archery
While I am good with the bow, I wouldn't go that route. It has too many potential failure points, and getting replacement strings is going to be rough. In addition, they are bulky and the accuracy is not on par with that of a scoped .22; however, they surely are quiet. I wouldn't go the bow route though.

Big guns
I wouldn't bother, myself.

The amount of fluid transfer in human to walker combat and the slathering of zombie guts as a disguise in these shows is still puzzling. Rick impales himself on the junkyard walker, and he's just fine. Weird.

You'd be better off with some filtration system...lol kitchen sink

Life Straw bottles.

Anyone else note the brewers working in the background when Eugene first arrived to the sanctuary and was touring it around. As a homebrewer I constantly find myself trying to calculate the possible logistics of brewing quality beer to supply a Walking Dead settlement. Equipment (the Sanctuary has a kickass forge and the Hilltop in the comics is renowned for their blacksmith), scavenging or producing ingredients, challenges with meeting production quotas, concepts like refrigeration, storage, bottling/kegging, Co2, access to knowledge sources, open versus closed fermentation, how you would pull off good lagers, and even how many points I could rack up brewing in the Sanctuary ie how valuable would this occupation be. During field exercises in the Marine Corps I always invested and packed excess amounts of chew and cigarettes because you could always bank on people not preparing enough to supply their habit and being willing to pay extra to fuel it. Anyone else think about crap like this outside the obvious scenarios like supplying food, water, medicine, ammunition etc?

How scarce is it compared to other resources? There has always been an emphasis of struggle for other resources in the show and comics yet water hasn't been one. Could also go the route of the old days and repurpose a specific amount of runoff for small bier consumption consisting of beer with less than 0.5%-1% ABV for hydration needs over pure water.

I was thinking in terms of the same premise. Basic needs like food, water, and security would need to be firmly established before a group could start investing in other issues like brewing. Imagine Rick yelling at Carl when they're on the move, "Don't be an idiot Carl we can't leave that behind! That's 5 gallons of quality NEIPA! Leave that pack of food behind and strap that conical to your back! It's still got maybe got a week left before it finishes out!"

Rick's group wasn't to keen on old what's his name who got his leg eaten having a drinking problem. Their group hasn't been much for booze. We know the Saviors and Hill Top like to nip at the bottle. It is a dangerous time to be drunk. But hey, booze water is safer than non booze water.

And yeah, lots of food stuff can be fermented into drinkable, even good, alcohol.

I agree that a .22 is optimal for shooting zombies in the ZA. Lever or pump action. Lightweight, high capacity plentiful reliable rimfire ammo.
I'd go without a scope. Thats just something else to break/snag on stuff/get in the way. I don' think there would be a real need to shoot walkers beyond 40 yards or so. A .22 is also adequate for killing almost any wildlife in the Southeastern US. If I carried a handgun it would likely be a .22 revolver too.

I wouldn't bother with any high caliber rifle. For defending/fighting other survivors...probably an AK-47, but I sure wouldn't want to carry it everywhere. If I had to carry it everywhere, or was traveling, I'd go with a short barreled AR-15 with a folding stock(no scope). My every-day zombie killer would be an 8 foot spear(or staff) tipped with a 6 inch sharp spike. I'd also want a short heavy blade machete maybe about 18 inches for really close quarters zombie fighting.

Then I'd head off to inhabit a Gulf Coast barrier Island that also has a fresh water source where I'd start farming sugar cane to make rum. I think we'd revert back to using high proof alcohol as more of a medicine than a casual drink. I think the distiller would be far more important than the brewer.

Strange that you guys should be discussing ideal zombie killing tools.

I love to watch Forged in Fire. Just a few days ago, I was wondering what would be the perfect design that I might be able to make if i was holed up in a blacksmith shop, and I came up with this design.....I call it the LGI stabby slicey stick. I can guarantee that this design is totally my own, and completely original.

zombie-killer-68062.jpg

Strange that you guys should be discussing ideal zombie killing tools.

I love to watch Forged in Fire. Just a few days ago, I was wondering what would be the perfect design that I might be able to make if i was holed up in a blacksmith shop, and I came up with this design.....I call it the LGI stabby slicey stick. I can guarantee that this design is totally my own, and completely original.

zombie-killer-68062.jpg

You better patent that before the Chinese get ahold of it.

Well thoughts on the season 8 premiere?

I thought it was a decent episode. I thought the scenes showing Rick and company in the future, healthy and happy, was a good move. There have been too many episodes/seasons that were just hopeless. One of two things needs to happen quickly to keep the show interesting IMO. They need to show some hope of a cure to the zombie-plague and do an episode on how it all started.

I’ve been saying since day one there has to be a group of people living in safety somewhere. Preppers, scientists, military, whatever. They gotta get on shortwave and tell the world.

I gave up on this show quite a while ago. I kept up with what was going on overall, but I quit watching. It became that bad book that skimmed through because you didn't want to waste your time but wanted to get through to see how it ended.

Sunday night I thought I'd give it another shot.

Jesus. Why did I bother?

I have no problem suspending belief to watch it. It is, after all, a zombie show. But why in the hell can they not have people act like they would in real life?

Them not shooting Negan while he pranced around delivering one liners was the last straw. What a colossal waste of time.

And another comes on
And another comes on
Another one rides the bus
Hey, he's gonna sit by you
Another one rides the bus

Wife, daughter and I went to the Conan taping with Weird Al as the guest just the other day.

I am the big, balding, bearded fat guy in the blue and green floral shirt standing in the second row, over by Andy's podium. In my scene, I'm turning away from the camera sweep because the 4' tall Asian girl on my left was elbowing me in the kidney every time she clapped.

EDIT: oh yeah, Walking Dead. Is that still on?

Same here. I was shouting at the TV: "If you can SEE HIM, you can SHOOT HIM!"

But, I'm a huge fan, so I look forward to this season. :rockin:

Worst episode yet.

Okay. I get it. We see a humane side of the Saviors, at least some of them, in caring for the baby. Jesus saves. Yeah. Yeah. But all this coming to a screeching halt in the heat of battle for muh feels is bull.

And yes, a battle like this, several battles as it is, would take hours. Maybe days. But this episode was blatantly drawn out.

And sure, each person killed at this point is probably fairly strong genetic material lost forever. Oh well.

Take no prisoners. Make no hesitation.

I've watched it from the beginning three times now. That's my new game plan everytime a new season comes out. I watch it right from the start just before the newest season starts. Such a good show!

Id rather just watch the first three seasons again and skip the rest. The farm, the cdc, the quarry. Yeah!

I didn’t care for the season on the farm. It reeked too much as if they wanted to save money by having the same set every week.

Back