The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they are trying to make her appear sick in the show due to all the stress, but between that and the short hair they are doing too good of a job of it.

Let's talk virus again. What we (think we) know.

*It's a virus. The CDC said so.
*Everyone has the virus. Again, the CDC said so.
*If you die with your head attached and in fairly good condition, you turn. Again with the CDC, and as recent as last week's episode.
*The mortality rate is, eventually, 100%. We've seen dead zombies, er, walkers, who appear to have expired without being piked in the head.
*The virus causes some regeneration. It brings the dead back to life. Sort of.
*If not a regenerative property, it does slow decomposition. Dead and exposed bodies fall apart a lot faster than these walkers.
*It removes or greatly reduces the need for food and water. Sure, they eat, but they seem to go a long ass time without.
*It only affects humans. That horse got ate, but we haven't seen any infected non human animals.

Now, we don't really know that everyone has it or that it's fatal to everyone or that it will even turn everyone. It's just worked out that was with everyone we've seen so far. Not everyone got the plague.

If everyone has the virus, how does getting bit cause a person to turn? A minor bite will still cause a person to turn. And it's not just a bite. A good mauling will do. But smearing yourself in blood and guts, even getting a face full of gore, that's okay. No problemo.

One theory is that the virus is transmitted from bones. Well, teeth and fingernails ain't bones.

If everyone has the virus, why aren't they all slowly turning into walkers? Some people may only be carriers, but we haven't seen that.

Four theories. One, they are all slowly turning. Very, very slowly. Two, something about being alive keeps the virus at bay. That seems to be the case, but how? Three, there are two viruses. Weak. Four, the virus mutates when it meets a virus from another body.

And about those animals. Seems we'd be seeing a lot more animals and insects, especially insects, by now. Sure, the lack of game laws and grocery stores has more people hunting more animals more often, but still think there should be more.

I know Robert Kirkman said that they wouldn't disclose where the virus came from in the Walking Dead because it wasn't essential to the story but I was hoping that they might go further into it in Fear the Walking Dead, sadly they did not.

If everyone is already carrying the virus then I don't think there is any passing it. I think a bite from an undead person kills you and then the virus takes over.

I know Robert Kirkman said that they wouldn't disclose where the virus came from in the Walking Dead because it wasn't essential to the story but I was hoping that they might go further into it in Fear the Walking Dead, sadly they did not.

If everyone is already carrying the virus then I don't think there is any passing it. I think a bite from an undead person kills you and then the virus takes over.

It makes sense that the people we see in the show are more concerned with daily survival than finding out the medical details of the virus. They don't even have the means to. Even if they found their way into Los Alamos, they'd be challenged just to figure out how the equipment works.

Still though, these people should have a better understanding of science, and there is more technology in the world, than people had between the 1300s to 1800s; the plague to electricity.

And what about a bite is so lethal? If everyone is already infected, how does a bite on the arm kill them?

I'd have liked Fear The Walking Dead to be a show about this kind of stuff.

Maybe the bite is something of a red herring? Generally we haven't seen a "brand new" zombie bite infect someone have we? Its always been someone who's already been snacking on their fellow humans. So maybe it's just that their mouths are disgusting and filled with rotting flesh that brings all sorts of nasty infections, much like a komodo dragon; they get infected by the nasty bite and die because nobody has antiseptic and a bunch of anti-biotics to fight off the infection in the zombie apocalypse. This would also explain why cutting off the infected limb is so effective; the infection hasn't had time to spread to the rest of the body yet.

Maybe the bite is something of a red herring? Generally we haven't seen a "brand new" zombie bite infect someone have we?

Yes, at the prison, several seasons ago, when numerous people fell deathly ill. There were no zombies, and then suddenly there were several, some from bites, some not.

There's an Orbit gum joke in here somewhere.

Orbit2.png

But those folks didn't get a little arm or neck bite, they got totally murdered. I'm talking about a "fresh" zombie biting someone who takes a non life-threatening injury and survives long enough to die from the "zombie fever". As far as I know, only two guys on the show have gone through zombie fever, Jim waaaaay back in season 1 and Bob in season 5; both were bit by "old" zombies.

I think we're on the right track here. It's the bite that kills people. It introduces a wound on the body that then turns into an infection (unless amputated). The infection then turns into a fever that ends the person's life.

Since everyone is already carrying the virus, there is no transfer of it via contact. Contact with zombie blood, scratches, etc. do nothing. It's only when someone is bitten that they die.

BTW, I felt lost this Sunday without anything to watch. Walking Dead is on break, Westworld ended. My Sundays are meaningless now :(

So, if you get bit by a walker you will get an infection, a fever, then die (and turn). What if you could manage that fever? Would you still die? I can't see how you could turn if you can manage the fever.

Just some food for thought.

BTW, I felt lost this Sunday without anything to watch. Walking Dead is on break, Westworld ended. My Sundays are meaningless now :(

Ditto. Fortunately(?) I'm still catching up on Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad so I can watch a couple of those instead. I also played board games with the kids for a change. :)

So, if you get bit by a walker you will get an infection, a fever, then die (and turn). What if you could manage that fever? Would you still die? I can't see how you could turn if you can manage the fever.

Just some food for thought.

Interesting thought. Maybe if you were able to procure some antibiotics you may be able to cure the fever. Problem with that is that they have a limited shelf life. I guess you could produce your own if you knew how...

Interesting thought. Maybe if you were able to procure some antibiotics you may be able to cure the fever. Problem with that is that they have a limited shelf life. I guess you could produce your own if you knew how...

The CDC guy was trying to find a cure before he croaked. There's not going to be any man-made cure for this.

I do think there is some argument for every person being close to the edge of turning at any moment, and the infection from a bite is just so nasty that it speeds it right up...

Look back on the moments immediately prior to Rick shooting Shane (the first time). If memory serves, Shane might have already been daydreaming about becoming a zombie even before he was shot -- help me, I can't remember the exact timing of all that but I think it might be worth another viewing of that particular episode.

I would also be interested to see if antibodies built up during pregnancy might be enough to prevent turning in the next generation. Like, let's kill Judith with a non-head wound and see if she turns. If she doesn't, then all of a sudden every woman needs to get impregnated immediately. Isn't there some medical precedent for this kind of thing? Do all children born carrying HIV end up with AIDs, or can they be just carriers?? I think I remember something about this from somewhere but I haven't Googled it yet. Or maybe some other nasty bloodborn diseases are like this, where children who got it from mom don't necessarily die from it like mom does.

The guy at the CDC though was trying to revert people who already were zombies back to being normal. He didn't have any interest in trying to save someone who was dying from turning (or at least it didn't seem that way).

I think they provided the "everyone's already infected" idea so that our cast wouldn't focus on trying to cure it, instead just trying to survive. Everyone dies, everyone turns eventually.

I don't think this plague means the end for Homo sapiens sapiens. Even without a cure, humanity could still fully recover from this scenario. Fully. With enough effort/resources, they could kill every walker on the planet. Then, as part of the nominal death ritual, instead of simply burying or cremating a person like we had in the past, you also need to ensure the head is dead before doing these things. The only fatal wound for the living or the undead is a head shot. Just one little extra caveat compared to life right now. You'd also need to closely shelter your children until they come of age, around age 12 or whatever. This is not far different from what we do already anyway. The biggest difference is, everyone of age now carries a weapon, all the time, no exceptions. For this reason, since every single person is now armed, then laws would need to become more strict = death sentence for a first offense for any serious crime. It just ain't worth the risk to jail anyone or to put up with any psychological conditions -- survival of the fittest dictates that anyone who poses a risk must be destroyed since everyone must always be armed. Jails could be done I guess, but they're pretty stupid in this new reality. I guess this could make for some more interesting governmental styles as well.... but also still liveable with freedom and justice for all under the right conditions... life liberty and pursuit of happiness kind of stuff could return to normal if all yahoos were destroyed. It might take several generations to get there, but it could happen. Humanity as we know it could start all over again. All they have to do is be cognizant of the importance of head shots, and kill any stragglers on sight, living or undead. Humanity just becomes stronger and keeps on going that way. Idiots get killed, and good people reign. For the most part. There would still be war and famine and all the rest, that's the way life is today and it's never going to change. But for the most part, we could get back to normal.

Not a world I'd want to live in, but if you didn't know any better it wouldn't matter. Destroying the brain of the dead wouldn't be hard, the tough thing would be someone getting sick and turning and taking out a bunch of people like what happened at the prison and other settlements. Every sickly/elderly person is a time bomb waiting to happen.

That is one reason I'd like to see Judith live. She was conceived and born after the outbreak. What biology does she get from that? If everyone is infected, and a baby has a comparatively weak immune system, how did she survive more than a few hours?

There have been two or three people who didn't receive bites that were physically traumatic enough to cause death. They still died and turned, seemingly as a result of the bite. We've seen people slathered in walker blood and guts. It's gotten in their mouths and eyes. Even if we say it's the other than walker virus nastiness from a bite which causes an infection which spreads and kills rapidly, even for an infection, how do we explain all the other exposure which doesn't result in a deadly non walker infection? Is there a specific deadly infection, one which is different from the one which causes zombification, which has to enter directly into the blood through an open vein or artery in order to cause death? That would make the two virus theory a reality.

This over-analysis must be stopped!

You turn into a Zombie if you get bit by one or die.

You must brain the Zombie or cut its head off to kill it.

Done.

Yep. I'll tell you the same thing I used to tell the Group Commander. You're over thinking this one, Cap.

Hershel's decapitated head turned.

Yeah, but you didn't have to worry about the damn thing chasing you down

(I have considered that children born after the virus may not turn when they die though)

Are we over thinking it? Sure, but what the hell else are we going to do until February?

It definitely takes destroying the brain to kill the things, severing the spinal cord is not enough (as we saw with Herschel's head and the Wolves truck full of severed heads). You definitely also turn if you die, whether you were bit or not (since everyone is already infected as disclosed by the guy at the CDC). The time it takes for a bite to kill you is fairly slow (as we saw with Jim, Andrea's sister, Bob and others). A bite seems to give you a fever that does eventually result in death. It doesn't seem that the bite does anything more than that. The time it takes from when you die to when you turn is fairly fast (within a few minutes as seen in numerous characters after death).

So it seems to me that all the bite does is introduce a run-of-the-mill infection. It does not transfer the zombie virus since everyone is already a carrier. I'm thinking that the zombie virus that everyone carries probably greatly reduces your body's ability to fight the infection, thus leading to death 100% of the time when bit (unless the appendage is severed shortly after the bite).

haven't watched yet (why the F am I here reading this thread? I don't know, I just clicked the link without thinking), but I would guess it's the group Tara ran into before who were hiding from Negan

Seaside? Oceanside?

Back