The Vermont Travel Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey yall, planning out a north east trip in September since flights are affordable right now from So Cal. What airport is best for Going to North East Vermont? Some people have also mentioned flying into Boston then driving up, is that doable?

Currently thinking about Portland, ME -> road trip to VT. But I'm open

Hey yall, planning out a north east trip in September since flights are affordable right now from So Cal. What airport is best for Going to North East Vermont? Some people have also mentioned flying into Boston then driving up, is that doable?

If you want to focus on Vermont, flying into Burlington (BTV) would be your best bet. There's a multitude of connecting flights from JFK daily. If you want to hit a few places in New England, fly into Boston, rent a car, drive to Portland and then onto Vermont. You could do two one-ways, flying into BOS and flying out of BTV, but its only a touch over 3 hours from Burlington to Boston, so it'd probably be cheaper to just roundtrip out of BOS.

If you want to focus on Vermont, flying into Burlington (BTV) would be your best bet. There's a multitude of connecting flights from JFK daily. If you want to hit a few places in New England, fly into Boston, rent a car, drive to Portland and then onto Vermont. You could do two one-ways, flying into BOS and flying out of BTV, but its only a touch over 3 hours from Burlington to Boston, so it'd probably be cheaper to just roundtrip out of BOS.
Thanks man, that was exactly what I'm looking for. My focus is Maine for photos and the coast but I figure if I'm there for a week might as well go to Hill Farmstead.

blackgnome Nailed it^^^^

Too bad you're not coming out for the pilsner fest this weekend!

It's usually cheaper to fly into Boston instead of Burlington. Boston adds a couple of hours of driving time.But the drive through VT is beautiful. Great opportunity for some high quality pics. Also when I've rented cars in Boston it's usually WAY cheaper to pick up a car at Government center than it is at the airport. Only of couple of train stops from airport. Cheers

You'll probably save about 100-150 dollars if you fly into Boston versus Burlington (depending on carrier, etc.).

If Portland is on your list I'd consider heading along the coast from Boston (some nice lobster shacks and beaches) then cutting across the White Mountains into St. Johnsbury before hitting Hill and the rest of Vermont; or following those steps in reverse if Portland is going to be one of your later destinations.

fvg8mtZ.jpg

tumblr_nr7zqaDQjg1roohd8o1_400.gif

It's probably been asked a bunch, but anyone have any recs on an easy hike (1-3 miles) between Burlington and HF? Likely can't be too difficult as I will be carrying my two-month old with me.

So I finally locked down vacation, tickets, and permission from the wife for FoFA! This is my first time in New England, so we are trying to make it a doozy. If anyone can add any input on must-see breweries, restaurants, attractions, or hiking, I'd love to hear it!

Sunday July 30: Leaving Hazleton PA with a final destination in Portland, ME. Potential destinations: NEBCo, Tree House, Dive Bar / Armsby Abbey, Jack's Abby, Trillium, Notch, GuluGulu, Gentile, Portsmouth / Tributary, Allagash, Bissell, Maine Brewing Co.. we will probably swing through Boston area again on Thursday to hit anything that isn't open the first time through.

Monday July 31 - Tuesday Aug 1: Acadia National Park. Basically just camping and hiking here.

Wednesday Aug 2 - Friday Aug 4: Make our way to Vermont for FoFA. This is basically wide open as long as we get near Greensboro by Friday evening. Potential destinations:
Burlington (Foam, Farmhouse Tap and Grill, Burlington Beer Company)
Waterbury (Old Stagecoach - is this good for food? Reservoir, Pro Pig, Hen of the Wood)
Stowe (Alchemist, Stowe Public House)
Montpelier (Three Penny, Hunger Mountain Co-op - for Lawson's hopefully)
Greensboro (HF, Parker Pie)

Getting really excited!

Last edited:
So I finally locked down vacation, tickets, and permission from the wife for FoFA! This is my first time in New England, so we are trying to make it a doozy. If anyone can add any input on must-see breweries, restaurants, attractions, or hiking, I'd love to hear it!

Sunday July 30: Leaving Hazleton PA with a final destination in Portland, ME. Potential destinations: NEBCo, Tree House, Dive Bar / Armsby Abbey, Jack's Abby, Trillium, Notch, GuluGulu, Gentile, Portsmouth / Tributary, Allagash, Bissell, Maine Brewing Co.

Monday July 31 - Tuesday Aug 1: Acadia National Park. Basically just camping and hiking here.

Wednesday Aug 2 - Friday Aug 4: Make our way to Vermont for FoFA. This is basically wide open as long as we get near Greensboro by Friday evening. Potential destinations:
Waterbury (Old Stagecoach - is this good for food? Reservoir, Pro Pig, Hen of the Wood)

Getting really excited!

For your time in Portland, I'd suggest adding Oxbow, Foundation, and Austin Street to your brewery list. Holy Donut is a must, seek out High Roller for a lobster roll, and then about a million other restaurants. In fact, just read through the last few pages of these two threads, you should be able to get everything you need:

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/portland-me-guide.1418/

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/pils-love-portland-me-hosted-by-oxbow-7-15.38485/

Also, try to eat at Doc Ponds before or after your visit to The Alchemist. Literally everything there is good.

For your time in Portland, I'd suggest adding Oxbow, Foundation, and Austin Street to your brewery list. Holy Donut is a must, seek out High Roller for a lobster roll, and then about a million other restaurants. In fact, just read through the last few pages of these two threads, you should be able to get everything you need:

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/portland-me-guide.1418/

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/pils-love-portland-me-hosted-by-oxbow-7-15.38485/

Also, try to eat at Doc Ponds before or after your visit to The Alchemist. Literally everything there is good.

There's a lot of wisdom in this post, particularly about Doc Ponds. Just make sure you get the carrots.

Burlington (Foam, Farmhouse Tap and Grill, Burlington Beer Company (located in Williston, ~20 min from Burlington, halfway between Burlington and Waterbury)
Waterbury (Old Stagecoach - is this good for food?(Only serves breakfast, but supposed to one helluva breakfast) Reservoir, Pro Pig, Hen of the Wood (Make reservations now for Hen, it's not very big and is popular. Located in an old grist mill, its one of the most beautiful buildings in Vermont)
Stowe (Alchemist, Stowe Public House) (Seconding Doc Ponds in Stowe)
Montpelier (Three Penny, Hunger Mountain Co-op - for Lawson's hopefully) (Lawson's bottles, the stuff brewed in Vermont rather than Sip of Sunshine at Two Roads, are relatively sporadic but Hunger and Craft Beer Cellar both get the bottles when they're available)

Just wanted to add some details

Sunday July 30: Leaving Hazleton PA with a final destination in Portland, ME. Potential destinations: NEBCo, Tree House, Dive Bar / Armsby Abbey, Jack's Abby, Trillium, Notch, GuluGulu, Gentile, Portsmouth / Tributary, Allagash, Bissell, Maine Brewing Co.. we will probably swing through Boston area again on Thursday to hit anything that isn't open the first time through.

Getting really excited!

Still looking for ways to fill Wed - Friday... we would be leaving from Acadia. Should we just head back down to Boston for a few days?

Drop a line if you're hanging out in Waterbury at all!

Long shot, but if anyone has 2 tickets for the Saturday night session of the Burlington brew fest let me know.

They are non transferable so we would have to go in as a group, after that we can do our own thing or share some brews, I'm cool with either.

Cash in hand.

Greetings....I'll be up in VT this September with ol bird22 during the time of zwanze day. Hope to meet/re-connect with some of you out there! Is it usually held at Hill Farmstead? Do any of you ever go to Montreal for it?

Greetings....I'll be up in VT this September with ol bird22 during the time of zwanze day. Hope to meet/re-connect with some of you out there! Is it usually held at Hill Farmstead? Do any of you ever go to Montreal for it?
last year HF didn't do Zwanze. I personally never been to Montreal for it but have heard good things.

Heading to Vermont around Labor Day with the wife. This thread has been such a big help in prepping what the tentative plans are, but would love some help if I'm missing something I have to hit.

Also definitely interested in touching tips with anyone along the way as well.

Wednesday 8/30- Leave Chicago at night, driving to Burlington area
Thursday 8/31- Staying in Portland for the night

Fiddelhead
Alchemist
Hill Farmstead
Bissell

No places finalized for dinner yet, but trying to eat so much Lobster/Crab that I turn into one. Also interested in any other cool, must see spots while I'm out that-a-ways.

Planning on heading to Boston area for a few places on Friday, and then heading down to Philly on Saturday night.

Thanks for any suggestions/must visits on top of what we've already got planned. I know we're missing the Stagecoach Inn, but hoping to make it out again early next year to tikk that off.

Heading to Vermont around Labor Day with the wife. This thread has been such a big help in prepping what the tentative plans are, but would love some help if I'm missing something I have to hit.

Fiddelhead
Alchemist
Hill Farmstead
Bissell

No places finalized for dinner yet, but trying to eat so much Lobster/Crab that I turn into one. Also interested in any other cool, must see spots while I'm out that-a-ways.

Planning on heading to Boston area for a few places on Friday, and then heading down to Philly on Saturday night.

Thanks for any suggestions/must visits on top of what we've already got planned. I know we're missing the Stagecoach Inn, but hoping to make it out again early next year to tikk that off.

Not a Vermonter, but Foam seems like a logical hit if you're going to be in Burlington. I believe they will be canning by Labor Day too.

Fiddelhead
Alchemist
Hill Farmstead
Bissell

I'd skip Fiddlehead unless it's on the way. Aside from taking a growler to the pizza place next door, the brewery is just for samples/to-go fills. Foam is not to be missed and hit Farmhouse Tap & Grill for some solid draft options. Burlington Beer Co is outside of town, but you could hit it on your way east.

Lost Nation really impressed me this past trip...worth a detour en route to HF.

I'd skip Fiddlehead unless it's on the way. Aside from taking a growler to the pizza place next door, the brewery is just for samples/to-go fills. Foam is not to be missed and hit Farmhouse Tap & Grill for some solid draft options. Burlington Beer Co is outside of town, but you could hit it on your way east.

Lost Nation really impressed me this past trip...worth a detour en route to HF.

Didn't Fiddlehead just open a new space with an actual tasting room? I'm pretty sure the event for their last can release said something about serving pints and cans for onsite consumption.

Didn't Fiddlehead just open a new space with an actual tasting room? I'm pretty sure the event for their last can release said something about serving pints and cans for onsite consumption.

I thought that was just for the can release. Could be wrong though.

Fiddelhead
Alchemist
Hill Farmstead
Bissell

If you leave Wednesday night and drive thru the night it's 15 hrs to Burlington? so you won't have much time in VT right? because it's another 4 hrs to Portland give or take...

If you leave Wednesday night and drive thru the night it's 15 hrs to Burlington? so you won't have much time in VT right? because it's another 4 hrs to Portland give or take...

Leaving around 2/3 hopefully so trying to get to Vermont around 9/10 do breakfast and then hit up a few places. Well all tentative, I can be swayed by a good time haha

Staying at the Comfort Inn in Montpelier August 25-27. Any hidden jewel when it comes to a breakfast spot in the area. willing to drive up to 30 minutes.

Staying at the Comfort Inn in Montpelier August 25-27. Any hidden jewel when it comes to a breakfast spot in the area. willing to drive up to 30 minutes.

Rainbow Sweets in Marshfield.

Wayside Bakery if you want something a bit more homestyle and don't want to drive.

I'll be staying in Waterbury next week for FoFA and will be driving up from Boston. Is it reasonable to plan on Boston -> Hill Farmstead -> Parker Pie -> Waterbury? It seems so as long as I take it easy given the amount of driving involved.

Also, any Waterbury breakfast recommendations?

Leaving around 2/3 hopefully so trying to get to Vermont around 9/10 do breakfast and then hit up a few places. Well all tentative, I can be swayed by a good time haha
Its 10 hrs from Detroit.... how the... who are.... huh?

I'll be staying in Waterbury next week for FoFA and will be driving up from Boston. Is it reasonable to plan on Boston -> Hill Farmstead -> Parker Pie -> Waterbury? It seems so as long as I take it easy given the amount of driving involved.

Also, any Waterbury breakfast recommendations?
If you're solo then yeah the real concern is going to be the quality of beers available to you and pacing for the 60-90 minutes back to Waterbury.

Haven't ventured outside of the Stagecoach for breakfast in Waterbury thus far (free if you stay there) and haven't been disappointed with that decision.

Last edited:
If you're solo then yeah the real concern is going to be the quality of beers available to you and pacing for the 60-90 minutes back to Waterbury.

Haven't ventured outside of the Stagecoach for breakfast in Waterbury thus far (free if you stay there) and haven't been disappointed with that decision.
Time does breakfast usually start at Stagecoach? I'm staying there for a night in a month and have to be up and out pretty early.

Back