the type of glass, and the resulting experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdee1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Up until fairly recently, I never even bothered to pour beer into a glass.

Now, I homebrew beer, and drink from a glass exclusively.

I have examples of many different types of glassware, from classic English pub pints to pilsner glasses to tulip-shaped stemware. I really fancy the stemmed glasses for some reason.

Admittedly, I’m not very “with it” on what types of glass are intended to go with what types of beer, but I will say this: I can’t believe how much more I enjoy beer out of a clear glass compared to a plastic cup. I’ve tried bringing some bottles of homebrew to barbecues and such, where they tend to get poured into red solo cups. Even if the beer is chilled to just the right temperature, it’s just not nearly the same… it’s like it’s not even the same beer. I can’t understand why it matters so much, but it does. Anybody else notice this? It’s frustrating because I can’t even articulate what the difference is… only that there is a difference.

it may have to do with whatever film is used to finish the plastic solo cups or nucleation sites in the glass vs ribbed solo cup

Besides the fact that glass stays cooler longer. Or mold separating compounds on the plastic that they might not wash off?

Some folks go so far as to say that certain styles of beer taste and/or smell different in different types of glassware i.e. tulip vs pint.

I don't know about the shape of the glasses but being able to see the beer makes a big difference. If you look at a crystal clear pilsner you can already imagine what it's going to taste like.

absolutely makes a difference. My wife used to laugh at me so I ran a test on her.
I poured two Sam Adams meleonhead in two different glasses. One pilsner and the other a stout type.
I asked her if should could pick out which beer I made. she definitely prefered one over the other.

About a year ago I did the same thing with SA pumkin ale which I do not like but it comes in the variety pack. In the pilsner glass I could hardly stand the over powering pumpkin. In an english ale glass it was atleast bearable

Wine drinkers have been doing this for a long time. Glassware selection can impact what flavors are more pronounced when the drink hits your palate.

Up until fairly recently, I never even bothered to pour beer into a glass.

Now, I homebrew beer, and drink from a glass exclusively.

I have examples of many different types of glassware, from classic English pub pints to pilsner glasses to tulip-shaped stemware. I really fancy the stemmed glasses for some reason.

Admittedly, I’m not very “with it” on what types of glass are intended to go with what types of beer, but I will say this: I can’t believe how much more I enjoy beer out of a clear glass compared to a plastic cup. I’ve tried bringing some bottles of homebrew to barbecues and such, where they tend to get poured into red solo cups. Even if the beer is chilled to just the right temperature, it’s just not nearly the same… it’s like it’s not even the same beer. I can’t understand why it matters so much, but it does. Anybody else notice this? It’s frustrating because I can’t even articulate what the difference is… only that there is a difference.

There is almost too many style of glasses properly matched for different beers.
I own many pints, and pilsen/weizen tall glasses, but lately drink most beers from either tulip or "perfect pint". I think wine drinkers are onto something. A tulip glass comes pretty close to perfect as a single glass for serving all beers for me.
Yes, perhaps for hefeweizens you may want a longer glass to accommodate head.
I own a stein but I don't thin its super-useful for beer taste, except it's durable and heavy. Pint is basically a universal serving glass that excels at nothing specifically, except holding entire volume of a pint.

stangen, beer boot, tankards are all too crazy for me.

Chalice, fllute, goblet - functionally, are not that different from tulip glass.

So if I had only one glass choice, it would be tulip. Great for stouts, porters, lambics, but also acceptable for IPAs, hefe, etc.

If I had only two glass choices, it would be tulip and Sam Adams "perfect pint".
Tulip for strong stuff, perfect pint for the rest.

If I only had three glass choices. The first one would be of course the tulip.
The second is perfect pint. The third one would be... weizen glass.

Beer doesn't belong in a glass with a stem.

:cross:

(all IMHO, of course!)

Seriously, I say - as long as it's a glass, you can't go wrong. A jelly jar might not be optimal (according to some) but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

:)

Beer doesn't belong in a glass with a stem.

:cross:

(all IMHO, of course!)

Seriously, I say - as long as it's a glass, you can't go wrong. A jelly jar might not be optimal (according to some) but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

:)

Yeah, if somebody told me a few years ago that I'd eventually start consuming all beer using a stemmed tulip glass, I'd probably have laughed and said "ahaha, what do you think I am, some kind of #&$ ?"

Alas, it was meant to be so. :D Just last week, one of my staunchly BMC buddies was calling me all kinds of names for using my tulip glass. I've won him over with the Centennial Blonde I brewed, now maybe he'll rethink his glassware.

Anyway, I'm the OP of this thread, and the best I can come up with to explain the wonder of glassware and beer is the aspect of sight-based anticipation. Kind of like a fancy meal, that reels you in with the way it looks and makes you want to eat it, having already half-convinced you that it is going to taste good.

The tulip glass keeps the aroma in better than a pint glass, so the Tulip is preferred on beers like an dry-hopped double IPA. That is why red wines are usually served in a tulip style glass. Wine drinkers swirl the wine around to release the aromas and they are captured in the smaller mouth of the big goblet. It is said that perceived 'taste' is actually 75% "smell".

Also, since those Double IPA beers are higher in ABV, the smaller 8-10 oz tulip glass is what you'll get at a pub so you don't get wiped out as quickly (and they are generally more expensive to make).

I prefer the nonic pint glass.

One reason I don't like the Buds and the Miller beers is the carbonation, and the stinging taste when drinking it from a bottle. I find I can actually taste a little more of the beer itself when they are poured into a glass and the carbonation is released. I still dislike them, but I'm saying I can taste more of the beer style.

Another aspect of stemmed glassware versus non-stemmed is the warming of the hand. Red wines are often cupped by the drinker in their hand to impart some warming of the wine, which releases more aromas. Whereas, white wines are held by the stem to keep the wine colder longer.

Back