The Story of Maris Otter: One of "Sheer Bloody Mindedness"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really interesting! I've used Maris Otter a few times in a Mosaic SMaSH recipe, and I've always been very happy with the results. Made the same recipe with Vienna, wasn't as happy with it.

Thanks fellas! It's a great malt to use in a SMaSH to fully experience that rich malt character that everyone raves about.

mmiddleton, could you describe the difference you noticed between the Vienna and the MO?

I do an Irish Red each year around this time. In the past it's been with 2-row, but last year I used MO instead. Huge difference. This year I used MO again.

The only malt i actually enjoy chewing on is MO. Give me a bowl and some milk and that could be breakfast.

I've used it for years in stouts and a couple times as a fraction of the base malt in other darker beers. I finally have it on my brew schedule to do a smash (or nearly smash) with a restrained dose of cascade in a lager style. Should make for good summer drinking.

Nice article. I just brewed a stout with Maris Otter as its base malt. Became a fan of it when I used it in an English-style brown ale a little over a year ago.

Thanks fellas! It's a great malt to use in a SMaSH to fully experience that rich malt character that everyone raves about.

mmiddleton, could you describe the difference you noticed between the Vienna and the MO?

I think it's just a general lack of maltiness, by comparison.

Back