The Stasis - A glycol system designed for homebrewers - Pre-Order now for $599

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftaBrew

Reaction score
Introducing The Stasis glycol chiller - a temperature control solution built from the ground up specifically for homebrewers.

The-Stasis-1.jpg

Check out the Full Kickstarter Campaign Here!
It’s the first glycol chiller ever to feature internal pumps & thermostats. While most glycol chillers require you to purchase them separately in addition to the glycol chiller itself, these important components come standard-issue inside the Stasis.

No matter what fermenter(s) you have, The Stasis works with your current homebrew setup. Precise digital controls allow you set independent temperatures for two different beers so you can ferment them side-by-side.

The Stasis gets to work by chilling the internal tank of glycol & water mixture to 30°F. Meanwhile, an included dual wired temperature probe monitors your beer as it ferments. When the temperature of your beer is higher than the temperature set on the digital thermostat, a pump turns on to move the 30°F chilled glycol through the coil submerged in (or the sleeve wrapped around) your fermenter. This quickly cools your beer to the set temperature and maintains it within 0.5°F.

The set temperature can be changed at any time throughout the fermentation process by using the digital thermostat, helping you master the fermentation of your ales, lagers and to even cold crash your beer.

9ed0b2e1bdc60400e6ff6debd46bbf7c_original.jpg

Stasis Specs:

• 120V
  • Powerful 1/5 HP compressor
  • Stasis cooling capacity is 1,700 BTU/hr -> Other 1/5hp competitor = 1,450 BTU/hr -> Stasis is much more efficient
  • Lowest set temperature 36°F
  • Type of glycol recommended: Propylene Glycol (food grade)
  • Stasis Includes: Stasis Unit, AC Power Cord (USA 120V Wall Plug), temperature probe assembly (Serial Plug to dual 6 foot probes)
1c1427485590a5bd0292c5b1a924e935_original.jpg

• The Stasis is available for pre-order through Kickstarter now starting at $599 (save $150 off MSRP)
  • We will be shipping by November 2019
LIVE ON KICKSTARTER LINK: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...brewing-technology-for-homebrewers?ref=2ayw6w

I'll be keeping my eye on this on! Looks awesome! My one question is, it says that it is designed for 2 5gal batches but would this be able to maintain cold crash temps on 2 10gal batches (CF10's with insulated jakets) at 70 degree ambient?

This is not something we have tested, yet we are confident that you'd be able to maintain lagering temperatures in 2 10-gallon fermenters at once or be fermenting an ale while cold crashing another batch. Cold crashing 2 10-gallon batches may be entirely possible yet this is not what the chiller was optimized for considering ambient temperatures, amount of insulation and coil/wrap efficiency have a lot to do with how much volume The Stasis can effectively handle. In our experience The Stasis has cold crashed 10 gallons very quickly and easily maintains the temperatures so I do not believe it would be an issue if well insulated at a 70 degree ambient.

How would this work with, lets say, a Spike temp control system? With a heater and a hot/cold plug on the temp controller? Would something replace something?

How would this work with, lets say, a Spike temp control system? With a heater and a hot/cold plug on the temp controller? Would something replace something?

This would replace the chilling portion of the Spike system so you would not need to deal with a cooler of ice or a bath of glycol inside a freezer as they recommend with their system. You can connect the temperature probe from The Stasis directly into your Spike conical's thermowell then connect the glycol lines from The Stasis to the coil already inside your fermenter. We use the same 3/8" ID lines that are standard on most coils.

Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on your kickstarter page, but was wondering the compatibility with your coil and my 7 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical. I've read the comments on your project page and found one guy asked for the SS brewbucket, but I am concerned about the the coil hitting the thermowell in the Chronical. Can you please confirm?

Thank you in advance.

Looks very interesting as I was looking for a compact, low power chiller.

Any idea when this product would come to Europe? 2020? 2021?

Hi,

I am about to pull the trigger on your kickstarter page, but was wondering the compatibility with your coil and my 7 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical. I've read the comments on your project page and found one guy asked for the SS brewbucket, but I am concerned about the the coil hitting the thermowell in the Chronical. Can you please confirm?

Thank you in advance.

The Stasis is compatible with the 7 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical, we just did a test fitting on that fermenter and it does not hit the thermowell when the coil is attached to the included domed lid. Just keep in mind that the lid will need to be drilled in order to accommodate the coil.

The Stasis is also compatible with any SS Brewtech, Spike, Blichmann chilling coil so if you already have a coil that you know will work with your fermenter, The Stasis can connect directly to that with the industry standard 3/8" ID tubing.

Looks very interesting as I was looking for a compact, low power chiller.

Any idea when this product would come to Europe? 2020? 2021?

We are hoping to bring this to Europe on our second production run some time in 2020, we just have the extra investment of the different power supply and more costly certification requirements before bringing it to the European market.

Why is 36º the lowest set point?

Our engineering team thought that was the best balance between the lowest possible set temperature and limiting the amount of on/off cycles to ensure longevity fo the unit. At 36F you can still cold crash and have the same effect as if you had it set to 32F or below, the difference in time between 32F and 36F is so minimal that it is not worth putting extra stress on the unit.

Hey, have you guys tested using the anvil fermenter, with their cooling coil?

https://www.homebrewing.org/75-Gall...N1jCkl2rMUcWKLrJWl0CaMf17W0MwWaRoC_qcQAvD_BwE

We have not tested it specifically using the Anvil fermenter and cooling coil but this would be compatible with The Stasis. The only item that would need modification would be a step up to a 3/8" ID tube which is the industry standard for glycol lines. You would just need to step up the tubing from 3/16"ID to 3/8" ID with something like: https://www.kegworks.com/reducing-h...aoUt4FijcZHeHqrxvfrLHC1O10aAgxjEALw_wcB#/base

Just what I was looking for, I'm glad I saw this post and be able to participate before the kickstarter deadline. :D

Thanks for the details about the anvil fermenter.

What does it take to maintain/clean? After a beer ferments, is there much that needs to be done?

Thanks for the details about the anvil fermenter.

What does it take to maintain/clean? After a beer ferments, is there much that needs to be done?

Simply remove the coil and clean it after use, The Stasis can be stored without draining the glycol/water mixture or there is a plug in the bottom of the unit that can be pulled to drain when not in use if you choose.

What are the pumps rated at? Head, GPH?

The pumps are set to flow at 65 GPH, this was the optimal flow rate for the best efficiency of the system as a whole.

We are in the final hours and our whole team is thrilled with the amount of support we have received this far! We are happy to have your support to bring this product to life that we have been working hard on for the past 2+ years and to offer you the best price on a glycol chiller ever. Your support truly means a lot and you helped make our dream possible by helping to get this project off the ground, if you are still interested please take advantage of this one time preorder price for the next few hours before it is gone!

Thank you & cheers!

Could this be used for dispensing?
Would 24/7 operation be OK?

24/7 operation should be okay but it was not what the unit was designed for and could decrease the longevity of the unit depending on the cooling load. We have not tested it in dispensing applications but there should be no reason why it should not work.

Can this be used in an external application, outside a More Beer 7g conical? The internal coil seems like a cleaning nightmare.

Yes, this can be attached to any coil, jacketed fermenter, coolstick, carboy wrap etc. Cleaning the coil is not too bad since only the straight part of the stainless tubing is in the area where krausen could stick, the rest is submerged in the beer and easily rinsed.

24/7 operation should be okay but it was not what the unit was designed for and could decrease the longevity of the unit depending on the cooling load. We have not tested it in dispensing applications but there should be no reason why it should not work.
Very interested in this too. How would I set the pump to run 24/7? Just leave the thermowell in the air and set the temp point lower? Also can you set the temp range of the glycol temp to help control the cycling?

Also, I read if it loses power, it loses the settings, is that correct? That would be critical for serving.

Last question, my glycol lines are hard plastic 3/8, will they be able to be attached?

Last edited:
How easy will it be to service/replace the pumps / thermostats in instances where one has failed? Will replacement parts be available, or can other market products be used?

Very interested in this too. How would I set the pump to run 24/7? Just leave the thermowell in the air and set the temp point lower? Also can you set the temp range of the glycol temp to help control the cycling?

Also, I read if it loses power, it loses the settings, is that correct? That would be critical for serving.

Last question, my glycol lines are hard plastic 3/8, will they be able to be attached?

Yes but this is not its intended use, the glycol reservoir will always stay at 30F and this is the temperature of the glycol that will be pumped out through the lines. Our out ports from The Stasis are made to connect to 3/8" ID tubing.

How easy will it be to service/replace the pumps / thermostats in instances where one has failed? Will replacement parts be available, or can other market products be used?

Those items will be serviceable and we will offer replacement parts should a failure occur. We will not recommend aftermarket parts for the system as they were not designed to be plug and play with The Stasis.

The Stasis looks great, and would work with my Anvil fermentor. Will these have a warranty?

Yes, it will have a 1 year warranty and we will have additional units and parts on hand should anything go wrong. After testing a dozen units for thousands of collective hours we have not yet run into any parts that need replacing or any defective parts. Before the units leave the factory they are individually tested and checked for quality.

I see you stated shipping starts November 2019... are these available to purchase and ship today?

No, it’s not shipping yet.

From a Jan 7, 2020 email sent to those who have pre-ordered:

We also have an updated timeline to share with you. The container of final Stasis units will be loaded on to a container from the factory on January 15th. We’ll have a more solidified idea of the sailing schedule and arrival date at our warehouse at that time. We hope to have another update shortly with approximate ship times for all of our customers.”

Last edited:
Ouch! I'm sure those that pre-ordered are disappointed with what appears to be a three month delay.

I see you stated shipping starts November 2019... are these available to purchase and ship today?
Ouch! I'm sure those that pre-ordered are disappointed with what appears to be a three month delay.

Yep. Honestly, the communication has been too infrequent, too, which hasn’t helped. From comments I have seen on Kickstarter, folks are being remarkably patient. Shipping estimate was October 2019, or maybe even September when I prepaid, so at least 4 months delay.

Yep. Honestly, the communication has been too infrequent, too, which hasn’t helped. From comments I have seen on Kickstarter, folks are being remarkably patient. Shipping estimate was October 2019, or maybe even September when I prepaid, so at least 4 months delay.

I'm sorry for your frustration. Using your dates and knowing that it is probably still another month for the shipment to arrive at the port, be unloaded and then reshipped to their warehouse and then packaged and shipped to purchasers, it sounds like it may be five months.

I wonder what their refund policy is?

BTW, welcome to HBT!

I'm sorry for your frustration. Using your dates and knowing that it is probably still another month for the shipment to arrive at the port, be unloaded and then reshipped to their warehouse and then packaged and shipped to purchasers, it sounds like it may be five months.

I wonder what their refund policy is?

BTW, welcome to HBT!
Well honestly, at this point, if it’s a few more months, it’s not the end of the world since I live near Chicago and my garage is more than cool enough to act as my chiller until late March.

I’m not sure about the refund policy. What could become interesting is if it goes to a point where the window to submit a credit card dispute is closing. I should check on that.

These folks make the Catalyst fermenter, which is well-regarded, so I’m trusting that this second product will be of similar quality. There are a bunch of new homebrew chillers on the market, including SS Brewtech and Grainfather, so they better get it out soon, before they’ve lost an opportunity to establish themselves as leaders in the lower-cost, small glycol chiller market.

Well honestly, at this point, if it’s a few more months, it’s not the end of the world since I live near Chicago and my garage is more than cool enough to act as my chiller until late March.

I’m not sure about the refund policy. What could become interesting is if it goes to a point where the window to submit a credit card dispute is closing. I should check on that.

These folks make the Catalyst fermenter, which is well-regarded, so I’m trusting that this second product will be of similar quality. There are a bunch of new homebrew chillers on the market, including SS Brewtech and Grainfather, so they better get it out soon, before they’ve lost an opportunity to establish themselves as leaders in the lower-cost, small glycol chiller market.

Good to hear you still have hope in getting it. I have no idea on their other products and quality of those products. Thanks for the information.

I'm not sure they can really claim "lower-cost" as a selling item anymore. Once they raised their pricing to $599, the price point is so close to larger and more powerful chillers that are similar in price when they go on sale. I paid $679.99 for the much more powerful Icemaster 100 when it was on sale at MB.

I agree with you and believe their greatest selling point is the small footprint the unit has. I'm guessing that would have appeal to a large group of homebrewers that have no plans to grow, have limited space and are only looking for a chiller to chill one five gallon (maybe stretching to a 10 gallon) batch at a time. The only limiting item that I read is in order to put less strain on the compressor, it was designed only to chill down to 36F. Personally, I typically chill to 32F.

Once you receive your unit and have used it a couple of times, please post your experiences.

Good to hear you still have hope in getting it. I have no idea on their other products and quality of those products. Thanks for the information.

I'm not sure they can really claim "lower-cost" as a selling item anymore. Once they raised their pricing to $599, the price point is so close to larger and more powerful chillers that are similar in price when they go on sale. I paid $679.99 for the much more powerful Icemaster 100 when it was on sale at MB.

I agree with you and believe their greatest selling point is the small footprint the unit has. I'm guessing that would have appeal to a large group of homebrewers that have no plans to grow, have limited space and are only looking for a chiller to chill one five gallon (maybe stretching to a 10 gallon) batch at a time. The only limiting item that I read is in order to put less strain on the compressor, it was designed only to chill down to 36F. Personally, I typically chill to 32F.

Once you receive your unit and have used it a couple of times, please post your experiences.

"Raised their pricing to $599"...
If i understand their original post, the Pre Sale was $599. Actual cost may be more.

+1 to it being small/ compact. Huge selling point!! I hope it comea out soon!!

Yes. It comes complete with pumps and temperature controllers for two fermenters. We’ll see if the price really goes up beyond $599, though. I wouldn’t be surprised if it stays at $599, but that’s just my uneducated hunch.

I received an update from Craft-A-Brew yesterday stating that the container is at the dock ready for shipping, a shipper qualified to transport coolant has been selected, and that it will be at sea 25+ days. Apparently available sailing dates are more sparse due to the requirement of using this particular shipper. I’m betting on a late-March delivery date.

To compare apples to apples, you would want to include the cost of two BrewBuilt chiller pump kits in the price. Their MSRP is $99.99, so let’s say $85 on sale, or $170 for two.

In some ways, I would prefer using an external temperature controller, since that would give me the ability to change temperature settings remotely by using the Inkbird Wifi controller. It’s not a huge issue, but a nice feature if, for example, I’m on vacation and I want to raise the temperature for a diacetyl rest. I use a Tilt 2, so I already know when I’m approaching FG, even when away from home. That would’ve been a good selling feature and differentiator for the Stasis if they’d included Wifi connectivity.

Clicking on the Kickstarter link, it goes to their website, when you click on the "order now" button it says that its $659.00. The link in here, & posted above says $599

To compare apples to apples, you would want to include the cost of two BrewBuilt chiller pump kits in the price. Their MSRP is $99.99, so let’s say $85 on sale, or $170 for two.

In some ways, I would prefer using an external temperature controller, since that would give me the ability to change temperature settings remotely by using the Inkbird Wifi controller. It’s not a huge issue, but a nice feature if, for example, I’m on vacation and I want to raise the temperature for a diacetyl rest. I use a Tilt 2, so I already know when I’m approaching FG, even when away from home. That would’ve been a good selling feature and differentiator for the Stasis if they’d included Wifi connectivity.

I use the $40 pump from Spike Brewing. It works great! The first one was part of their cooling bundle and I bought a second one for my bright tank.

I bought a few Inkbird WiFi controllers when they were on sale. Gave one away as a gift. They work great and are so convenient since I do not need to plan my day to go home and change temps. I use a Tilt as well and have it integrated with Brewfather.

Back