The Smells of Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your favorite smells associated with homebrewing? I'll start.

I LOVE taking a big whiff of a freshly-opened yeast package. That bready, living scent is one of the things I most look forward to as brew day approaches.

My 10-year-old loves inhaling deeply from a newly-opened package of hops. That boy is going to be a major hop-head one day!

I love all the smells of brewing, the fresh smell of hops, opening the grain bag, the mash smell...

But my wife hates the smell of the mash / boil. Of course I just make sure I am mostly brewing when she is out and make sure I vent the Boil as well as possible, but just curious of there are other people who doesn't like the smells?

I agree the boil doesn't smell of roses exactly, but I don't have any problems with it myself... but the wife doesn't like it at all. Luckily I don't brew in the main building so it doesn't bother her. Apart from that I really like the smell of the mash.

For me it's the mash, the sweet malty smells of the grain steeping. Every time it reminds of a brew I was doing over twenty years ago when my step daughter came home from school, she opened the door came into the kitchen and yelled out "you're making brownies!". I said no, "I'm brewing beer!".

The thought of that moment never gets old!

Last edited:
I love all the smells of brewing, the fresh smell of hops, opening the grain bag, the mash smell...

But my wife hates the smell of the mash / boil. Of course I just make sure I am mostly brewing when she is out and make sure I vent the Boil as well as possible, but just curious of there are other people who doesn't like the smells?

I think that is pretty much universal.

I think that is pretty much universal.
Nahhhh, my wife loves the smells of brewing as much as I do, and she has a much better nose then I do. We both love the fresh milled grains, the mash and every hop addition. Also how it changes from start to finish. Love it.

The smell of the boil, particularly in dark worts. That roasty, chocolately smell from porter/stout worts is amazing. Also, the smell of the mash has always been one of my favorites, same goes with darker worts.

The smell of fermentation. I'm an unabashed airlock sniffer and I love smelling the beer at different stages of fermentation. I feel like you can really get to know each beer throughout the process. It always makes me happy to smell that it's fermenting well. It feels alive in those moments and it always gives me an appreciation for the alchemical aspects of this hobby. It's beer to me more in those moments than at any other time.

What a nice thread! Thanks @3 Dawg Night :mug:

The ever more pervasive scent of grain, either steeping or mashing, as it floods my house.
(especially when my girlfriend is asleep when I start and wakes to a house full of mashing-grain smell....she always wakes up excited and happy with that.)

The smell of fermentation. I'm an unabashed airlock sniffer and I love smelling the beer at different stages of fermentation. I feel like you can really get to know each beer throughout the process. It always makes me happy to smell that it's fermenting well. It feels alive in those moments and it always gives me an appreciation for the alchemical aspects of this hobby. It's beer to me more in those moments than at any other time.

What a nice thread! Thanks @3 Dawg Night :mug:
Ooh! That's another great one! My family laughs at how I like to sit with my head in my fermentation chamber, sniffing heavily.

+infinity to the mash, and also the boil. I'm doing a cream ale this morning, and my garage/brewery has a lovely smell reminiscent of baking cornbread. And weird as it sounds, I like the smell coming from the burners; I use NG, and it brings me back to my early days helping my mentor (he owns a brewpub) brew on his big system. There isn't one smell associated with brewing that I don't like; unless it's spent grain that's been in the bucket too long! That's nasty.

I like all of the smells associated with brewing. Since having Covid last year though, I can smell just about enough that I might be able to tell if the house was on fire. :cool:

Having a reduced sensitivity to taste and aroma has made brewing and cooking a bit of a challenge.

I love all the smells of brewing but my entire family hates it. Especially mash and boil time. It's a real challenge scheduling Brew Day is when they're not home.

My wife absolutely HATES the smells of brewing. She says it reminds her of a bowl of oatmeal (which she hates with the burning passion of a thousand suns). She loves the end product, of course, though she doesn't drink as much of it as I do.

She visits her 97-year-old mom every few weeks and stays overnight. Those are the "me times" I take advantage of to brew.

Back