The refrigerator ate my yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zweasel

Reaction score
Ok, so my refrigerator did not eat my yeast. However I did miss place a tube of White labs California ale yeast in my refrigerator back in October. How long will it last and if I make a starter will it start or am I just wasting my time.

White Labs vials have a "best by" date on them, which is four months after they are bottled. I had a vial of trappist ale yeast that I used about one month after the best by date. I made a quart sized starter with it, and it had an awesome, powerful fermentation with a relatively short lag time. If they are properly refrigerated, they can last a good long while.

I found a vial of East Coast ale in my fridge that was 4 months past its prime. Made a good starter with it and pitched it and all went just fine. Very short lag time and strong fermentation. I think they will last a few months after their best by dates as long as they are properly refridgerated, you just need to make a good starter.

The longer you keep them, the longer the starter will take to kick into action. Apart from that, the final beer should be fine so long as it's well aerated.

That's a good point. My trappist starter showed almost no activity for the first two days, and had just started moving when it was time to pitch. Worked out great though.

6 years ago my wife bought me a beer kit. We moved right after that and I forgot all about brewing. Got into it last month and started playing. I thought I would get rid of the ingredients because they were 6 years old but I went ahead and smacked the yeast. A week later it was bulging at the seams. I didn't end up using it but it sure looked active.

Back