The Price of Craft Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are going to Seattle in August to catch the Jays and Mariners play ball. I know we will be going to the many pubs in and around Seattle but price won't matter that much unless they are just crazy. Whatever the price is, we have to pay 30% more because of our low dollar. Can't worry about that, we will be on a holiday.

My response:

1. You really should get what you pay for. It should be a linear correlation.
2. I am not paying for the mistakes of brewers that do not know how to brew. Why should I?

Quality is almost never a linear correlation. Think about your own brewing, particularly from your first batch onward. At first, there are obvious and fairly cheap-to-do means of improving. As you take advantage of those, new ones don't simply appear. The next improvements are harder to do, and usually require more equipment and/or better ingredients.

Maybe sometimes as well you(we) have no idea of the real cost to produce the beer ?
Maybe they need to pay the employee a decent wage ? Maybe there is a lot more going into making this beer that you can think of ?

The list could go on with a lot of maybe... As well as homebrewers maybe some have a "god" complex thinking that why fork that much money when we could probably replicate it at home.

I'am playing the devil's advocate as sometime I have been very disappointed by craft offers here in Spain, but as I picture USA you shouldn't complain too much for price/quality you are living in the promised land ;^)
Imagine paying more or equal in an emerging craft beer scene with less integrity/quality control...

If Craft Beer is gouging me and taking advantage of me, and Macro is evil (and also taking advantage of me) - I'm not exactly sure what I am supposed to do...
it would seem the obvious answer is obvious...
brew on dude. although then you're just playing into the nefarious hands of Big Malt and Big hops.

the thing is, there is never a linear correlation between price and quality. in fact I have no idea what metric you would use to plot quality against price.
with wine, for example the proportion of money you are paying for the actual wine in a cheap bottle is almost nothing and rises dramatically when you start paying more. does this mean you will definitely like the wine more? no. but most likely a lot more care will have gone into it's production. a fifteen year old will most likely prefer a cheap wine, but after years of quaffing and pontificating you should at least find the more expensive wine more interesting if not more drinkable.

with beer, frankly the cheap craft hoppy stuff is generally **** these days, there are a few breweries I'll buy but I'd rather have a home brew. I will treat myself to cloud water or the kernel at 4-5 squids a bottle if I can find it or more for a good sour as it's bloody difficult to emulate and is a nice treat.
some of the medium to large craft brewers are just releasing total garbage these days though, at least in Britain. had an ipl recently that was worse than anything I've made ever.
frankly a decent pilsner like urquell knocks the socks off a lot of this cheaper craft stuff.

Once upon a time there was a bunch of craft brewers that decided to open local establishments and make quality beer for the masses at low prices, as their popularity grew they decided we can supply it to even more people if we sell it outside of our establishments, but to do this we have to raise the price to purchase more equipment but the people will not care because they are drinking quality beer. Then they were all purchased by Inbev who reduced quality and kept the price the same. The End

I just paid almost 18 dollars for a 6 pack with 15% off. It was a mixed pack from my LHBS, all 12 or 16 ounce cans of fresh IPAs from the Pacific NW.

We have a local market that from time to time will sell "dated" Craft Beer at a really good cost. Someone on the island often over estimates how much is needed to beat the date. (not that I'm worried about dated beer being bad). Just picked up two 18 full pint cans of Sierra Nevada Summer Ale for $17.67 including deposit and tax. How can a summer ale be dated in July? I was canned on Jan 31st this year.

We have a local market that from time to time will sell "dated" Craft Beer at a really good cost. Someone on the island often over estimates how much is needed to beat the date. (not that I'm worried about dated beer being bad). Just picked up two 18 full pint cans of Sierra Nevada Summer Ale for $17.67 including deposit and tax. How can a summer ale be dated in July? I was canned on Jan 31st this year.

That's impressive you can still type after being canned almost 6 months ago!

Ugh 5+ months old. That's not worth free.

Wow!! This is what I would pay for that in Ontario, $58.00. Now you know why we make our own beer.

Back