The power of 210,000 BTUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is how do you hook it up? Are there premade stands to install this thing in or do you fabricate it?

First of all, let me emphasize that I don't know if it would work. I'm just suggesting it.

I doubt there is anything premade for those. I might be wrong.

We had one of those on the farm. I think it took high pressure propane right off the bottle. I'd guess there is a 1/4" NPT fitting that goes to the POL (bottle fitting).

If it was me, I'd remove the wire guard, which is probably only there so you don't burn your hand. Then I'd weld a 1/4" nipple to the stand, horizontally and I'd connect the burner to one side and a hose to the tank on the other side.

There are lower btu models available as well. I chose to link that one because I didn't want the 210,000 btu crowd to fall over laughing.

I think the efficiency of radiant heat on the bottom of a black pot surface would be pretty good. 14,000 btu at 70% transfer would be a pretty fast heat source.

McMasterCarr (www.mcmaster.com) see item 1719K2 and others on page 588.

The glass ceramic stoves use radiant heat to heat pots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass-ceramic

Fast is a measure of efficiency.

Just in case anyone is confused by this, fast is a measure of speed. The big propane burners are fast and they are inefficient. I'm not judging anyone for using them, I'm just stating what they are. In this case fast is NOT efficient.

I agree with you on that one Brewman.

210,000 is the measure of amount of energy it can consume not the heat it puts out
I'd like to see the actually calculation of heat out put based on it's ability to raise the temperature of water compared to my 29,000 btu heater.

I can boil 5 gallon of wort from sparge temp to boiling in around 25 - 40 minutes. I Don't think a burner wit 7 times the BTU rating could do it 7 times faster. I'd be surprised if it could do it 3 times faster.

BUT YES!!!!! I want one.

210,00 is the measure of amount of energy it can consume not the heat it puts out

Provided the fuel gets enough air, its making 210,000 BTUs. The question is, how much of that heat gets to the water ? Using the numbers supplied, not very much.

I've done a lot of food canning with our banjo burner. I've had is since 1998 IIRC. Its not too bad efficiency wise if you keep it turned down. But if you really turn it up it burns through the propane quickly and there is a lot of heat lost.

I'm just saying what I see.

All this science talk is getting me hot...

I almost bought a different bayou classic burner that is at coscto because it comes with a 48Qt pot. My current one is only 30Qts. However, I had already ordered the banjo and the other one doesn't say what the btus are anywhere on the box. $65 for the banjo and $59 for the other at costco. I may still go get it, haven't decided.

I'll be firing mine up this weekend. Really curious now after reading all this. I don't imagine I'd crank 'er up all the way because of what brewman is saying, I know from experience that a lot of heat would be lost because of transfer losses. But, I hate to say this, it's nice knowing I CAN CRANK this puppy up if I should ever need to!!!! I'd rather have too much of a good thing than not enough.

I read where the cooking surface is 17" X 17".

Can a half barrel keg fit on this? I thought the half barrel was 17" in diameter.

Is that too close a fit for a keggle?

olllllo said:
It's tight but do-able. I don't have kids and the dog stays away, so I'm not concerned about it.
Thanks olllllo.

I took a look at your gallery. Your "keggle" pic...is that the banjo burner underneath?

You're right, tight but it appears there is an inch or so extra room.

BierMuncher said:
Thanks olllllo.

I took a look at your gallery. Your "keggle" pic...is that the banjo burner underneath?

You're right, tight but it appears there is an inch or so extra room.

Indeed it is.

I surely wouldn't want to bump it during a full boil and because of the weight of that thing fully loaded. It's not as sturdy as I'd like, but it's about the widest one out there off the shelf.

I could care less about efficiency, Brewing is Brewing and I would do it no matter what it costs me. A lot of guy's have $30,000.00 boats sitting in their driveways and only use them 6 months out of the year. I have about four grand in brewing and I use it all year. I don't think $13.00 worth(per 5 gal.) of propane will keep me from brewing.:tank:

Latest posts

Back