The Pilgrim Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm hoping someone here might have used this hop before.

After reading the profile of the hop (Grapefruit, Flowery) and the fact it was on sale I said I would do a single hop beer with it.

im planning on doing only a small bitter charge and then the majority of the hop as a whirlpool and dry hop additions.

I wanted to ask if anyone here as used the hop in a single hop beer and the results.

There isn't much talk about this hop on the old interwebs.

Cheers

below is the little description on my homebrew shop website for the Pilgrim hop

Pilgrim has a deeply fruity, lemon/grapefruit aroma with flavour characteristics including verdant, berries and pears. As a bittering hop it provides a refreshing, full-bodied and rounded bitterness. Pilgrim hops are versatile and are used from beginning of the boil to finishing additions in the wort. Unearth a little gem with this one, a must try.

I've recently made an ESB using this hop exclusively.
While not a S.M.A.S.H. , the grainbill was predominantly Marris Otter.
It got good reviews at the monthly homebrew club.

I used it and ended up with a beer that tasted like Perry! (Pear cider)
I wasn't massively impressed with it.

Thanks for the input,

Rustyhorn, I don't want to sound like a prick but can I ask if the flavour you got from the beer was from the hop itself or from a possible flaw in the beer, appley cidery flavours are common off flavours in beer.

I made a Pilgrim ale using only Pilgrim hops. I only used 0.5 at 60, 0.33 at 30 and then 0.2 at flame out whirlpool. I also added cranberries so it was a little sour from them but very drinkable.

Thanks for the input,

Rustyhorn, I don't want to sound like a prick but can I ask if the flavour you got from the beer was from the hop itself or from a possible flaw in the beer, appley cidery flavours are common off flavours in beer.

I have wondered that myself, but it did calm down a bit. It's described as giving pear flavours so I assumed it to be that. It doesn't taste cidery, it tasted like perry.

I've used Pilgrim a bit. I did a Best bitter SMaSH using only Pilgrim hops. I got a soft bitterness from them and a very english fruit character. A little too fruity for my tastes, maybe. I use them for bittering mostly now, though I just did an old ale that was dry hopped with pilgrim and sonnet goldings and it's delicious.

Thanks for the input,

And I should have stated that I used a lot. I did a huge flameout addition. Maybe be subtle with them. Coincidentally, I had an Asda (owned by Wal-Mart!) Golden Ale tonight and it had the pear flavour of Pilgrim but it wasn't over bearing. It was actually very nice.

Englishy-fruity and kind of woody are the things I typically get from them, but I also only have used them in English beers, so it's really only been in small quantities.

And I should have stated that I used a lot. I did a huge flameout addition. Maybe be subtle with them. Coincidentally, I had an Asda (owned by Wal-Mart!) Golden Ale tonight and it had the pear flavour of Pilgrim but it wasn't over bearing. It was actually very nice.

ah good stuff, yes i know ASDA, we dont have them in Ireland but they are a massive English brand supermarket. do you know the name of that golden ale, i can try find it easy enough, i plan to brew next weekend so i think im just going to go with the original plan, its gonna be a 200g singe Pilgrim hop beer.

ah good stuff, yes i know ASDA, we dont have them in Ireland but they are a massive English brand supermarket. do you know the name of that golden ale, i can try find it easy enough, i plan to brew next weekend so i think im just going to go with the original plan, its gonna be a 200g singe Pilgrim hop beer.

I should have worked out you're Irish from the name!
The beer was an Asda own brand called Golden Ale. It's made and packaged by Shepard Neame.

I just wanted to give an update to this batch, I added dry hops about 5 days ago and kegged it last night, bottled about 12 bottles also.

The aroma is very unique to any other hop I have come across, fleshy grapefruit, pear and others I cant put my finger on.

Ill post back in about two weeks when I open the first bottle.

Curious what size batch and dry hop quantity?
I just built a recipe for a Belgian IPA that I'm planning to dry hop with 3 ounces of Pilgrim.
Looking forward to hear your results.

Howdy Sky, batch size was 27 Litres,

Dry hopped with 50g of Pilgrim, Its a very distinct aroma that I never quite came across before, not unpleasant by any means I just cant narrow down what im smelling

Ill post up a note when I open the first bottle next week. I sure do hope I like it, ive 27 litres to get through :fro:

What beer style is this?
From YCH website the description is: compared to U.K. Target, distinct fruit and spice characteristics with pleasant lemon, grapefruit, pear and berry flavors.

Its a hop forward pale ale, 60% Vienna, 40% Maris Otter.

Colour is a fine golden orange which is very nice.

It will have a low bitterness and a big hop flavour and aroma,

that's what I was going for anyway

Morning all,

I decided to open the first bottle last night,

Its carbed up nicely already, however the hop flavour is "interesting" not sure if I say that in a good or bad way,

Smells a touch like weed, tastes a little like a spice such as cinnamon, a little lemony, quite a strong flavour.

Im going to have to give this some time to see how it mellows over time. really hoping it improves.

Latest posts

Back