The perfect CO2 volume for priming hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayern1987

Reaction score
My first hefe I tried priming with a mix of corn sugar and dme... used a calculator and primed to 3.7 volumes... it tasted great however a couple of gushes and I was terrified of bottle bombs...

My 2nd hefe I was really cautious and only primed to 3 volumes however it is really flat and does not taste anywhere near as good...

What will I do for my 3rd is 3.7 - 4 volumes safe and when does it start getting dangerous... maybe if I stay below 4.5? 😁

My first hefe I tried priming with a mix of corn sugar and dme... used a calculator and primed to 3.7 volumes... it tasted great however a couple of gushes and I was terrified of bottle bombs...

My 2nd hefe I was really cautious and only primed to 3 volumes however it is really flat and does not taste anywhere near as good...

What will I do for my 3rd is 3.7 - 4 volumes safe and when does it start getting dangerous... maybe if I stay below 4.5? 😁

It depends on what kind of bottles you are using. I personally wouldn’t want to prime the typical stubby or longneck over 3 volumes, and that isn’t even taking into account whether you are sure the beer is actually finished when you bottle. Now granted, there is some measure of safety margin there, but that’s just me.

You would be safe using flip tops or thicker bottles typically marketed as “Belgian”.

I've got the good German ones used for Hefeweizen as that's all I usually drink....

You reckon if it's finished fermenting 3.7 volumes is good?

NB's Priming Sugar Calculator sets 5 gals of Bavarian Hefeweizen at 74 F at 3.6 vols which would take 7.6 oz corn sugar.

NB's Priming Sugar Calculator sets 5 gals of Bavarian Hefeweizen at 74 F at 3.6 vols which would take 7.6 oz corn sugar.
You think this would always be a safe bet? I am terrified of bottle bombs... just a.quick question...would aiming for 5.0 volumes of CO2 even be safe it sugar was correctly mixed etc? Just wondering to ensure I would definitely be out the woodwork priming my hefe if the proper procedures were followed 😁

You think this would always be a safe bet? I am terrified of bottle bombs... just a.quick question...would aiming for 5.0 volumes of CO2 even be safe it sugar was correctly mixed etc? Just wondering to ensure I would definitely be out the woodwork priming my hefe if the proper procedures were followed 😁
I would think 5 vols would get you some gushers if not poppers depending on the bottles used. Never aimed that high. I usually prime for around 2.5 to 3.0. Basically whatever the calculator recommends or the style.

With the amount of solids generally present in a Hefe, I'd almost guarantee that anything carbed at high volumes, even if the bottles hold, that they'd gush due to nucleation points.

Back