the perfect beer pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
I know this seems like this question is completely out of season, but its quite the opposite. I am trying (in a very nerdy attempt) to breed a perfect beer pumpkin. I am having a very hard time to find what varieties of pumpkin are best for brewing. So far my pumpkins are a Nantucket Pie Pumkin bread with a Summer Squash (both C. pepo). I would like to find another variety to plant this year to add to the genetic mix. The most obvious one would be a sweet pie pumpkin.
Any help?
thanks,

I use Sugar Pie pumpkins when they arrive in the fall for my annual pumpkin beer. I cube the pumpkin and roast with brown sugar and maple syrup for additions in the boil and later into the secondary.

I had one brewer share with me that he uses butter nut squash with good results.

I am very curious what people do say but I kinda made a decision in the mean time. I got a seedling from the local farmers online sales for a Delicata squash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicata_squash) and I'm going to find a sugar pumpkin and let the bees mix them up.
I have heard that butternut squash and similar squash are great too but they are not C Pepo and therefore will not hybridize. We also have butternut growing for a dog treat recipe. Just because I can't create a butternut/pumpkin hybrid, it doesn't stop me from adding them both into the mash.
Although I am done with this year, I am still very curious what varieties I should grow next year.
thanks,

I have worked with many many types of squash in 3 different farm-to-table restaurants as a chef, and I'm partial to Cinderella squash. I brewed a pumpkin bock mashed with 10# of roasted cinderellas last year and no spice whatsoever. Turned out awesome.

Back