The Peg Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortz

Reaction score
Hi I'm Chris. Homebrewing as best I can in Winnipeg in my drafty old house. 20C is a struggle to maintain during the day even with a furnace. I'm brewing from kits right now to learn, and have tried a couple partial grain brews. This stuff is fun and I can't wait to get back into my brewing career.

Many beers will turn out better in the 15-17C range. Or you could just do lagers in the winter. There's always a way.

Welcome!!!

A lot of us have issue with temp control...in my case both in winter and summer. If you dig around and use search you will find various cool solutions for hot and cool whether brewing.

:mug:

You can take a cooler, place your fermenter(s) in it with water, add an aquirium heater to it and place packing peanuts on top of the water.

I hope that helps, and that you guys eventually get the Jets back (sooner than later).

Welcome aboard, and go Bruins!!

-Hippie

Winnipeg....

Yup, its so cold here ..... this is the only place on Earth where you'll find a lawyer with his hands in his OWN pockets. :drunk:

Dude, I live in Indiana and my thermostat is only set at 18C or so!

Thanks guys. Yeah I 'm just extending some the fermenting times to compensate for the lower T. I'm sure it will work out, and if not i fix it for the next time. besides they managed to make this stuff work 500 years ago, right?

Personally, I prefer the lower temps. It does increase the time needed to ferment, but it also keeps the blowoffs down. Most importantly it eliminates those fruity fusels I dislike so much.

Back