The Official NYC Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KBS?!?!?!
Nah, it is still on. Other than Lawson's everything was still flowing when I got there at 6. Saw a couple of familiar faces. Place was an overcrowded zoo like always at these events. I'd stay a bit more but at this point a bit tired fighting the crowd. Great event still. VSK never disappoints. There might be left overs tomorrow.

Deciccos Biscotti Break and Cantillon both kicked. Aside from that everything was on when I left (around 7:30 maybe)

My friend Travis is going to be in NYC for a few days with my university's honors program trip, starting today. He's hoping to sneak away when possible in the evenings to hit the good spots, and I've been giving him advice on locations and taplists. If anyone is interested in meeting up with him for some beers, especially if you want to discuss how ****ing hard it is to open a new craft brewery (he's opening one here in Florence in the next few months), let me know and I'll try to play middle man and relay info. He's not on the online forums but is a great guy who's a pleasure to talk beer and otherwise with.

My friend Travis is going to be in NYC for a few days with my university's honors program trip, starting today. He's hoping to sneak away when possible in the evenings to hit the good spots, and I've been giving him advice on locations and taplists. If anyone is interested in meeting up with him for some beers, especially if you want to discuss how ****ing hard it is to open a new craft brewery (he's opening one here in Florence in the next few months), let me know and I'll try to play middle man and relay info. He's not on the online forums but is a great guy who's a pleasure to talk beer and otherwise with.

Founders night at Barcade Brooklyn tonight. I'm going, but not until 10 for Sweet Repute

Please join us on Thursday, November 21st, as we welcomeFounders Brewing from Grand Rapids, Michigan. The event will begin at 4 PM.

The draft list:

All Day IPA – 4.7% ABV – So light and refreshing, you could drink them all night, too
Backwoods Bastard ’12 – 10.2% – Vintage Bourbon-Barrel Aged Wee Heavy takes the Dirty Bastard further off the beaten path
Boilermaker – 7.4% – Bourbon Barrel-Aged variant of Solid Gold, a 4.3% ABV taproom-only Extra Pale Ale
Boltcutter 2012 – 15.0% – Vintage blend of Barleywines fermented in both maple syrup and bourbon barrels, also the final entry in the 2012 Backstage Series
Breakfast Stout (cask) – 8.3% – Conditioned with bourbon-soaked raisins, bourbon-soaked vanilla beans and cinnamon
Devil Dancer – 12.0% – Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight? This Triple IPA will take the lead
Dirty Bastard – 8.3% – Scottish style Wee Heavy artfully assimilates chocolate, caramel and dark fruit
Doom – 10.0% – Bourbon Barrel-Aged American Double IPA and the first entry in the 2013 Backstage Series
Frangelic Mountain Brown 2012 – Vintage Strong Ale brewed with hazelnut coffee, also the penultimate entry in the 2012 Backstage Series
Harvest Ale – 6.5% – Fall Seasonal IPA opens with juicy citrus and closes with toasted malt undertones
Imperial Stout 2012 – 10.0% – Vintage Imperial Stout redolent with cocoa, licorice and smoke
Kentucky Breakfast Stout – 11.2% – Complex, delicious and highly sought after, this one will disappear in no time at all
Mango Magnifico – 10.0% – Fruit beer brewed with mango and Michigan-grown habaneros is the second release in the 2013 Backstage Series
Old Curmudgeon – 9.8% – Old Ale bristling with notes of oak, toffee and vanilla
Pale Ale (nitro) – 5.4% – A medley of citrus and floral hops with a smooth body
Porter – 6.5% – An American classic, chock-full of chocolate and roasted malt flavor
Red’s Rye PA – 6.6% – Balanced elements of pine, toast and caramel yield to spicy rye
Rubaeus – 5.7% – If you ever wanted to drink a glass of raspberry jelly doughnut filling, you’re in luck
Sweet Repute - 12.6% – Maple Syrup Bourbon Barrel-Aged Wheat Wine and the final entry in the 2013 Backstage SeriesOnce again, we will be tapping particular Founders offerings once per hour, on the hour, starting at 6 PM. The release schedule:
6 PM: Kentucky Breakfast Stout
7 PM: Doom
8 PM: Mango Magnifico
9 PM: Boilermaker
10 PM: Sweet Repute

I'm glad all 7 of us in this thread are having so much fun.

LYMI brooklyn

How was Barcade? I havent been to a Thursday event there since the last Founders ********.
Barcade was great. Much less crazy than last year (no CBS=rational consumers, I guess?).

Highlight for me was the Breakfast stout cask aged on vanilla and cinnamon. The 2012 backwoods is also drinking very well. I think I spotted franch but was too toasted to be sure and did not want to embarrass myself by wandering up to the wrong person.

I stopped by the anniversary event at One Mile House last night, and they had a solid lineup. The beer they brewed with Barrier (Daddy Warbucks) is really good, definitely worth checking out. Im guessing most of the kegs are still around as well. Here is what I had last night:

Barrier/OMH Daddy Warbucks
Mexican Cake
Citrus Ninja Exchange
Bourbon County Coffee
Founders Boyl'r Mak'r
more Mexican Cake
Allagash Golden Brett
Kuhnhenn DRIPA
Stone Mixtape 6

They also have these FFF bottles for sale (albeit pricey - $25/bomber and $9/12oz.)
- Arctic Panzer Wolf
- Dreadnaught
- Broodoo
- Alpha King

I went for Sweet Repute and left. Also believe I spotted Franch, but was also tipsy by the time I got there (and was on a quasi-date). SR is just as good as I remember it. Hopefully I'll be able to snag a bottle or two.

I'm glad all 7 of us in this thread are having so much fun.

LYMI brooklyn

How was Barcade? I havent been to a Thursday event there since the last Founders ********.
You take away CBS and Blushing Monk and all of a sudden you can move around freely and enjoy everything on tap. I did not see Franch but that does not mean he was not there. Or was not drinking Bolt Cutter for that matter. That Bfast stout on cask was very interesting. Good event.

I went for Sweet Repute and left. Also believe I spotted Franch, but was also tipsy by the time I got there (and was on a quasi-date). SR is just as good as I remember it. Hopefully I'll be able to snag a bottle or two.
did not like SR, but I was already a few deep and have yet to try a wheatwine that I really enjoy

did not like SR, but I was already a few deep and have yet to try a wheatwine that I really enjoy

Too many dudes in shirts. Couldn't find you. Wanted to say hi to my new best friend.

I was shocked how quickly they were pouring Sweet Repute. I guess a lot of people came out just for that. I personally loved it when it was originally Nemesis and this tastes pretty much spot on.

Barcade was great. Much less crazy than last year (no CBS=rational consumers, I guess?).

Highlight for me was the Breakfast stout cask aged on vanilla and cinnamon. The 2012 backwoods is also drinking very well. I think I spotted franch but was too toasted to be sure and did not want to embarrass myself by wandering up to the wrong person.

agree on breakfast stout. i was there beginning around 10pm. i was hanging around ceight (the short white-haired girl) and possibly blatantdream as well or her friend keegan.

They also have these FFF bottles for sale (albeit pricey - $25/bomber and $9/12oz.)
- Arctic Panzer Wolf
- Dreadnaught
- Broodoo
- Alpha King

price gouge-y, illegal.

Also believe I spotted Franch, but was also tipsy by the time I got there (and was on a quasi-date). SR is just as good as I remember it. Hopefully I'll be able to snag a bottle or two.

hai

You take away CBS and Blushing Monk and all of a sudden you can move around freely and enjoy everything on tap. I did not see Franch but that does not mean he was not there. Or was not drinking Bolt Cutter for that matter. That Bfast stout on cask was very interesting. Good event.

i was not although did actually consider it

it was gross

agree on breakfast stout. i was there beginning around 10pm. i was hanging around ceight (the short white-haired girl) and possibly blatantdream as well or her friend keegan.

price gouge-y, illegal.

hai

i was not although did actually consider it

it was gross
hello hello hello

it was gross
kermit-bale-nod.gif

Bell's coming down to NYC in February 2014.
Josh Smith | Bell's Brewery

After a successful rollout in western and upstate New York, we are happy to announce that Bell’s beer will be coming to New York City beginning Feb. 10, 2014.

Union Beer Distributors, part of the Sheehan Group, will distribute Two Hearted Ale, Amber, Kalamazoo Stout, Midwestern Pale Ale, Porter and Oarsman Ale as well as its seasonal line-up within the city as well as on Long Island.

“We are excited to round out the state after an overwhelming response for our beer in western and upstate New York,” said Bell’s Vice President Laura Bell.

“The Sheehan Group has done an excellent job representing our brand and we are confident they will exceed expectations with New York City,” she said.

T.J. Sheehan, Tri-Valley Beverage and Craft Guild of New York distribute Bell’s beer elsewhere in New York.

For help locating our beer, fans will be able use our Beer Finder in February to see which nearby bars, restaurants and retailers serve and sell our beer.

Release party information and other special events will also be available here on our website as well as our social media channels as that information becomes available.

http://bellsbeer.com/blog/231-Bell_s_beer_is_heading_to_New_York_City

Wait is it here yet?!??!? I was already planning on a trip to WF Bowery/New Beer after work. Now I'm excited

Not sure about Manhattan, I got it at my local shop Beer Street in Williamsburg. I was surprised to see it so quickly too!

Not sure about Manhattan, I got it at my local shop Beer Street in Williamsburg. I was surprised to see it so quickly too!

Still never been there. How are the prices? Closest to me is Beer Boutique (which I also still haven't been to). I'm in East Williamsburg so everything is at least a mile away which is why I just stop at WF/NB and hop on the M afterwards

Still never been there. How are the prices? Closest to me is Beer Boutique (which I also still haven't been to). I'm in East Williamsburg so everything is at least a mile away which is why I just stop at WF/NB and hop on the M afterwards

Not bad, not great. They have an interesting selection, solid taps, and know their ****, but it's small and can be expensive for the more obscure stuff. I hang out there and know the owner quite well so I'm a bit biased in their favor :) Beer Boutique is pretty cool and the owners are really friendly. Growler system is wild too, it's worth going just to see it. I also live in East Williamsburg, but closer to Grand near Matt Torreys.

Not bad, not great. They have an interesting selection, solid taps, and know their ****, but it's small and can be expensive for the more obscure stuff. I hang out there and know the owner quite well so I'm a bit biased in their favor :) Beer Boutique is pretty cool and the owners are really friendly. Growler system is wild too, it's worth going just to see it. I also live in East Williamsburg, but closer to Grand near Matt Torreys.

Ah I'm south down Union towards Broadway. Only walkable bar options are Barcade and The Graham.

east williamsburg party

Woo. I'm always up for a bottle share. I'm actually going to check out that new spot up in Greenpoint tonight, The Brew Inn. Interested to see what it's like. Just looked...apparently it's all NY beers on tap. Meh

east williamsburg party

Dont be jealous of our superfund plutonium smog wastewater outflow scrapyard industrial wasteland created by real estate agents who ran out of room near Bedford Ave neighborhood. We got lots of cool bars!

Dont be jealous of our superfund plutonium smog wastewater outflow scrapyard industrial wasteland created by real estate agents who ran out of room near Bedford Ave neighborhood. We got lots of cool bars!

wtf are you talking about i live on union and grand/borinquen

Union/Meserole checking in here.

Anyone heard news on Abraxas? I know a friend picked some up in DC today. Was wondering if it hit here

Latest posts

Back