The obligatory first brew post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hachi-roku_fan

Reaction score
So I decided enough of the reading and researching, time to just get ish done!! Figured you only learn by practicing. Most things went smoothly. Had to improvise a measuring device by grabbing my blender haha and make my own funnel because I realized my harbor freight funnels probably aren't food grade and were left outside instead of the garage like I thought I did. Used Brooklyn brew shop kit with a beyond blonde recipe. I think I'm going to try Northern Brewers IPA next.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392653150.307179.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392653171.940449.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392653201.675057.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392653232.916669.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392653252.825361.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392653268.293921.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks!! I'm already racking up a tab at Northern Brewer by getting more 1 gallon carboys hahaha and a bunch if one gallon recipes. Morebeer doesn't seem to have 1 gallon recipes :(

Congrats on your first batch! Beer isn't wax on,wax off...you learn it by doin' it. Practice & patience are keys to being a successful brewer.

Thanks!! Yea I'm just the meticulous type when jumping into a new hobby. I drove my wife crazy when I built my smoker a few months ago and now this lol. I almost wanted to wait until I got a wort chiller but I waited long enough (I've had this kit for 3 weeks now). Also, mad respect to the five gallon guys, I can't imagine moving/pouring 5 gallons around.

The kettles get downright heavy,even with some 3-4 gallons of wort. A full 5 gallons weighs so much that a rolling car would be easier. I have to go from kitchen to the man cave where the magic happens. So develope a good, sound brewing process going forward. Don't move on till you're ready. No hurries or judgements around here!

My friend told me to start off at one gallon because he started at 5 gallons and regretted it. I won't move up to 5 gallons until I build a man cave in the garage.

The only regrets I could forsee someone having is not paying attention to the details & brewing up bad beer. Then you have 5 gallons that sucks. That's basically what he was referring to. do a good job of brewing,ferment in the right temp range for the yeast & keeping everything clean & sanitized will negate those worries.

Hahaha yea the aluminum foil, while cheesy/tacky by the wife's standards, makes cleaning a breeze.

And that what my friend said about big batches.

Wow I just checked it and found it was pretty much about to overflow. Put in the tube after sanitizing. Hopefully I caught it in time ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392677136.425911.jpg

So after three weeks I went ahead and bottled. Only problem I discovered was a small crack in my top. I must've over tightened it. Hopefully it doesn't mess with it too much. I tasted what drops were left in the pot and it tasted like flat beer so here goes another 2 or 3 weeks for primingImageUploadedByHome Brew1394470229.735546.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394470239.845224.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394470249.015009.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394470256.181935.jpg

So I cracked one open last night. My findings and observations are as follows.

1.) Tastes like beer.
2.) A bit flat, needs more time
3.) Point flip top away from face haha

Thankfully no one was hurt

Back