First Electric Brew Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MplsUgly

Reaction score
Be advised, this is just a rant, not a question, and not particularly useful for others. Read at your own risk.

Well, it finally happened. I brewed my first batch on my electric system that I had been building over the winter and overall things went really well. My system is a 50 amp, back to back herms system in kegs. I made a simple APA that I have made twice before as a first beer. The reason is that the grain bill and hop bill aren’t too big so if it all went south I wouldn’t be out a whole lot.

Pre Brew:

Heating water in this system is awesome. I heat my strike water in my boil kettle while I'm heating my Sparge/HLT water so everything can come up to temp really quickly. It's also nice that I can turn it all on and then go upstairs to make and eat breakfast. Go back downstairs and your ready to mash in. Slick as dog ****.

Mash:

Maintaining mash temp was easy. It took a little time to sort out my offset but after that it was smooth. Efficiency is my only issue. I have been from 70% up to 85% in the past but I think those swings were due to bad process control and consistency of mash temps. This was a big reason why I wanted to go electric. So this brew I was targeting a 151 mash temp. I had my HLT at 153.5, wort inlet to the mash tun was 152, mash outlet was 150. After an hour I ramped up my HLT to 178, waited for my mash to hit 160 to mash out and then started to runoff and sparge.

All in all, I ended up with a mash efficiency of 91%! This was way over what I anticipated for my recipe so I ended up tossing some wort and adding some water to bring my pre-boil gravity back down to what I wanted, 1.038 I think, target post boil OG was 1.042, I hit 1.043

Boil:

This was a huge and unexpected improvement over gas. Number one is that I could start heating while I was still collecting. In the past, I only had one burner so swapping from HLT to boil was a pain. Controlling the boil with the Auber EZ boil was awesome. I always hated the gas knob and not having specific input info. With the EZ boil you could easily adjust the power as needed and the boil was consistent. I ended up at 65% for most of the boil, turn down to 45 during additions.

Cooling:

I need to get some new hoses for my immersion chiller that will reach my sink. I had to use a garden hose and I had way too much hose strung around my basement and a couple leaky connections that were a pain. The one upside of the electric brewery is now I have an RTD in my boil kettle so I can see my temp on the PID while I'm chilling and don’t need to keep checking with a digital thermometer.

Problems:

Plumbing. I need a better chiller configuration.

Ventilation: I need a bigger fan. My rebermaid hood worked ok but my 450 CFM fan doesn’t cut it. I also had condensation issues in the hood. By the end of this the basement was getting muggy. I think I can add another 450 CFM fan the operation.

Summery:

Do it. If anyone is considering going electric I say do it. The brew day is just way more relaxing. I feel like I don’t need to watch everything so closely. I don’t need to shlep everything out from my basement to the garage and back. I can do laundry while I brew and other productive stuffaround the house. Also, its way faster. I used to start a brew day at 8:00 and be cleaned up by 4:00. This brew I didn’t start until 11:00, took some extra time to make sure things were working and I was still done by and clean by 3:00. That’s a 3 hour savings of weekend time.

Welcome to the world of electric full process brewing!

I built a couple propane rigs in years past, then also recently took the leap of faith. I'll NEVER look back. Efficiency, ease of use, no fiddling, don't care about wind or rain and brewing in the garage is fine. Like the old commercial "set it and forget it". There is nothing like pushing a couple buttons, or changing a valve, maybe setting a timer or alarm, then mowing the lawn or watching a ball game. Brewing has gotten really boring :)

Electric brewing rules for all of the reasons you listed above and more. Once I went full electric with a panel, I have never looked back. There is a reason you don't see classifieds where brewers are looking to sell their electric equipment to go back to propane.

It's a still a little rough around the edges. My plan for the day was to clean up the basement so I figured test brew at the same time. I still need to finish some walls and add some lighting to this corner. All in all it's not bad for a electric brewery that was scrapped together with spare parts from other projects.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.JPG
    IMG_2303.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    978.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2309.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 335
Panel still needs a timer and I made space for alarm switches but don't think I want them. I may pull that row out and add status lights or something.

Oh and my batch size is 11 gallons into the fermenters. Bubbaling away at 64 degrees in the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2310.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 248
The fan that is mounted on that board gets propped into the window and pulls air from the hood. It's just sitting on the keg because the window is closed.

I think this is the fan. I have another one that I can add and I think straightening out the vent hoes.
It's not meant to be a blower fan but its what I had on hand.

http://orionfans.com/component/zoo/advanced-search/75637.html?Itemid=496

that is an awful lot of flexible duct. you are going to get way more pressure drop in a long run of flex with a bunch of dips/sags compared to a straight section of shorter, smooth duct. understood it is a moveable setup, any chance of installing rigid duct to the window and have a tiny bit of flex at the end for moving the fan around?

more pressure drop = less cfm that the fan can move. also, that fan has a pretty low max static pressure. sure, it may move 450 cfm with no pressure drop but throw in just a little drop and the cfm it can move drops dramatically. if the smooth duct doesn't help much, you might need a better fan.

Back