The Next Step - My Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainbeers

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the hobby. I've done about 15 batches over a years time and I want to step it up a notch. Here is what I currently use to brew:

Only extract brews so far
Kitchen stove top heat
3 gallon stock pot
1 5 gallon better bottle
1 6.5 gallon glass carboy
Bottling bucket and plenty of bottles
Other misc necessities
Chilling wort using ice in the sink

I also have a used corny w/ hardware that I am no longer using bc my roommate moved out and took his kegerator with him. It is currently a starsan storage vessel. I do have the option of purchasing a CO2 regulator and tank and kegging in my fridge. Luckily SWMBO doesn't live with me yet.

What do you guys recommend as the next step? That is, either the next step that will immediately improve my beer's quality...or a step that is necessary when keeping in mind the big picture.

Examples: going all grain, wort chiller, propane burner, 5 gal boil kettle, or regulating fermentation temps using some kind of apparatus. Feel free to say something not on this list.

I feel like I'm at a crossroads at the moment because a lot of the above examples ^^ depend on each other a little bit. I'm a poor college student so each step needs to be carefully planned in the correct order because money is tight. I'm just hoping to learn from you guys' experience and/or mistakes. Thanks!

Full boil and fermenter temperature control would be my first steps.

The quality of my beer went through the roof when I got my fermenter and pitch temperature under control.

Use the swamp bucket temp control idea and run with it if you need to save money. It's very cheap all told.

What type of kettle should I go for assuming I want to do all grain in the future?

Also, could I handle a boil that big on a normal stove top?

If you're looking at all grain as a real possibility then I wouldn't get under a 7G pot. That would need a turkey fryer burner and brewing outside along with fermcap to prevent boilover.

This is the time of year to find turkey fryer setups cheap after Thanksgiving. You could use the 30q pot that usually comes with the kit.

sorry to hijack but ....freakin' AWESOME name Mountainbeers! (cant believe i didint think of it!)

I went to WVU '02 - '06 and proudly represent WVU at the Rutgers game every year.

Nice to see another 'eer around Let's Goooooo Drink Some Beers!

go for at least a 10 gallon pot with a valve, most 5gallon AG batches start a volume of 7-8 gallons. a 10 gallon pot gives you some wiggle room with the boil. If you can boil outside go for a Bayou classic KAB4 or KAB6. They really put out a lot of BTU's if you need it, and they sip propane.

If you haven't started yet, look in to a stir plate and 2000ml+ flask for making starters, and temperature control cabinet.

sorry to hijack but ....freakin' AWESOME name Mountainbeers! (cant believe i didint think of it!)

I went to WVU '02 - '06 and proudly represent WVU at the Rutgers game every year.

Nice to see another 'eer around Let's Goooooo Drink Some Beers!

Haha good to see you. There's a few of us around this forum.

I'm a poor college student so each step needs to be carefully planned in the correct order because money is tight. I'm just hoping to learn from you guys' experience and/or mistakes. Thanks!

Rather than carefully planning everything in the correct order, my advice would be to let the market dictate your purchases / acquisitions. IMO and IME free/cheap freezers are available if you keep an eye out. Kettles and turkey friers can be had cheap an clearance or or better yet used.

In the last couple of years I've stumbled upon the following:

two 48 qt coleman coolers....free
10 cf commercial chest freezer / fridge...free
5 cf chest freezer...free
10 cf 1954 vintage frigidaire...free
6 cf summit mini fridge...free
sanyo 4912 mini fridge 60 bucks
44 qt ss bayou classic pot and burner at cosco...$23
60 qt alum 4mm kettle...$43 shipped

kegging supplies purchased right from a local beer distributor

good luck,
Mike

Rather than carefully planning everything in the correct order, my advice would be to let the market dictate your purchases / acquisitions. IMO and IME free/cheap freezers are available if you keep an eye out. Kettles and turkey friers can be had cheap an clearance or or better yet used.

In the last couple of years I've stumbled upon the following:

two 48 qt coleman coolers....free
10 cf commercial chest freezer / fridge...free
5 cf chest freezer...free
10 cf 1954 vintage frigidaire...free
6 cf summit mini fridge...free
sanyo 4912 mini fridge 60 bucks
44 qt ss bayou classic pot and burner at cosco...$23
60 qt alum 4mm kettle...$43 shipped

kegging supplies purchased right from a local beer distributor

good luck,
Mike

Not sure where you found it all but craigslist is terrible around here. Might need to start picking up the newspaper every once in a while.

Latest posts

Back