The New Yorker's take on Craft beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanJ

Reaction score
If you haven't seen it yet, the latest New Yorker cover depicts the Brooklyn craft beer scene. It's been somewhat controversial for many folks, who may despise the relationship of being stereotyped as what the New Yorker seems to consider "hipsters."

What are you thoughts on the cover and the implications? Is it a good or a bad thing to have craft beer get some focus as a popular trend but in a potentially negative way? Or is it positive... what do you think?

kW82ewZ.jpg

Also, searched around quickly and didn't see a topic about it here... if it's been posted before please lock, merge or delete as necessary.

I think publicity for Craft Beer can only be a good thing. That being said, in the UK I am seeing the use of the term 'Craft Beer' being mis-adopted by large scale commercial breweries - that for me on a personal level is not what it is about. When I think 'Craft' I think small scale.

I don't particularly care who drinks good beer, the more people the better, hipsters or otherwise. If more people drink good beer, it means it becomes available in more places and I don't have to drink fizzy piss water when I go to a club or bar. That is still a way off here though.

I take it as funny personally. The addition of the neck tatto and tramp stamp are great.

I seriously want a print of that cover for my beer room. Great art- tongue in cheek while maintaining some reverence for the trade-

A quick trip through BA forums (and some threads on here) would indicate that the stereotype is true often enough that the satire is deserved. I think it's hilarious.

I don't take offense. Looks pretty accurate of people that show up at craft beer events.

Stereotypes are based on reality, after all.

I don't have a problem with it. It's a small sample size of who drinks craft beer. If people think that's the only kind of person who drinks good beer then that's their problem. I think it's funny and it's good for the industry to get the exposure.

I think it's a clever take on the craft beer phenomena but you could do several of these with people from all walks of life and all ages. Just look around at the next beer festival. I enjoy the diversity, the folks depicted in the cartoon are just one subset.

Back