The "never again" syndrome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Well, can't sleep tonight (work has me really stressed out), so I decided the only sane thing to do is to drink some bourbon. So, about 4 shots later (who's counting anyway) I'm finally feeling a little bit better.

That's getting me to thinking about the "never again" syndrome. You know what that is, right? When you drink too much of something or other and the next day you say "I'll never do that again." For me, I found that with one memorable exception "never again" never actually lasted more than about a week, two weeks tops.

You know, it was really nice back in my younger days when I weighed about 175 lbs. and it didnt' take much at all to get a nice buzz on. I'm getting there a little bit now, but man, those were the days. I remember coming home from parties where I tried to drain a half-barrel myself and getting into bed and it would feel like I had a waterbed. I didn't really have one-- it just felt like it.

The other thing I seem to remember is that when I was really younger (like, say still in high school) I would never get hung over from drinking. I would go to a party and drink like 27 beers or so, and the next morning it would see like I would actually feel better instead of worse.

A few years later, though, I was in for a nice surprise a few times when I overdid it a bit. I remember one night in college when my friend mixed up a pitcher of Orange Crush mixed with orange flavored vodka. That was some smooth stuff going down, as I recall, but the next day? Ugh! I was in the band and we had a football game that afternoon. I got up that morning and went to take a shower and ended up right back in bed. For the next 3 or 4 hours I would alternately sleep and sit up for a second to try to drink some juice or something. I finally made it to the game, but about 15 minutes late.

My only "never again" experience that really was Never Again was a few years later at a bar that had kamikaze shot night on thursday nights. My friends and I went in there one thursday night and someone decided to order a round of shots for us. We all drank one and then the next person decided they should buy a round, too. Only thing was, they bought 2 shots for each person. So, we drank them. Well, the next person decided to buy 3 for each person and so on... I think it got up to about 7 or 8 shots per round before we finally quit.

Later, we were sitting at the bar talking when I suddenly realized I could no longer talk. My friends were doing all the talking. I got bored and sunk a shot glass in a half empty glass of beer. A couple of Mexican guys came over and claimed it was their beer and that they were pissed. My friends apologized up and down and offered to buy them new beers and such, but they just wanted to argue. I was still bored (since I was unable to speak) so I went to the bathroom. I didn't feel so good while I was in there, so I left and went home. There I learned about the expression "worshipping the porcelain god." Man, was I sick. To this day I would not drink another kamikaze shot if you paid me.

The next day I found out that the Mexican guys waited outside in the alley for me to come out so they could beat me up for putting the shot glass in their beer. Fortunately I had already left and gone home to pay for my ignorant ways!

My last never again, was I felt so bad, I threw up that night and then didn't make it anywhere the next day. What's really bad was I was drinking strawberry daiquiris, stained my white ****. I was like man I'm done drinking in any quantity. That was 2 weeks ago monday night. The following tuesday I broke my promise to myself. However I have been much more conservative with what I drink.

My last never again was dark rum... that never again has lasted 2 years so far... don't think I'll ever touch the stuff again. Natural light never again has lasted 6 years.

One way to die that would be ridiculously stupid is over-drinking. I've learned to stop when I know its unhealthy for me. There were many nights in my youth (college) that I regret how drunk I got. Luckily I survived and my body is stil in pretty good shape. But there is no reason to kick your own ass so much you could physically harm yourself permanantly.

and, dude, 27 beers? I think that's a little exagerated ;)

EDIT: Oh, one last never again... drink a lot then smoke pot. I'm sorry, but that does not make a buzz better...

seefresh said:
and, dude, 27 beers? I think that's a little exagerated ;)

Seriously, when I would go to keg parties, I would count. If I was there for several hours I usually would get up into the 20's. I don't know why, but I could drink tap beer like it was water.

EDIT: Oh, one last never again... drink a lot then smoke pot. I'm sorry, but that does not make a buzz better...

I here ya, there. Other than the kamikaze shot night, the only times I have ever hurled from drinking was when I also combined it with a certain substance that Bill Clinton only tried in England and never inhaled. For me, the two never mixed at all.

My most memorable never again would be ouzo (sp?) Drank that and beer exclusively at my bachelor party. Ended up getting sick and passed out. Was up at 6 the next morning cooking omlets for everyone else. They woke to the smell and got sick themselves. It's been nearly 20 years and haven't touched the stuff since. :mug:

Mine was at my cousin's wedding a few years back. I did a bunch of shots and drank out of a fish tank (with Live fish in it).

I was so sick the next day. I still attest that it was the fish tank, not the shots that made me so sick. I'll never drink out of a fish tank again!

plumtired said:
My most memorable never again would be ouzo (sp?) Drank that and beer exclusively at my bachelor party. Ended up getting sick and passed out. Was up at 6 the next morning cooking omlets for everyone else. They woke to the smell and got sick themselves. It's been nearly 20 years and haven't touched the stuff since. :mug:

I had some ouzo when I was in Greece, that stuff is nasty. I think that's what I had. That's the Greek liquorish flavored stuff, right?

Dude said:
Mine was at my cousin's wedding a few years back. I did a bunch of shots and drank out of a fish tank (with Live fish in it).

I was so sick the next day. I still attest that it was the fish tank, not the shots that made me so sick. I'll never drink out of a fish tank again!

probably a decent rule, Dude...

seefresh said:
I had some ouzo when I was in Greece, that stuff is nasty. I think that's what I had. That's the Greek liquorish flavored stuff, right?

OOMPA!
Good stuff IMHO!

Southern Comfort. Freshman year of college I had a few shots. Then I spent a lot of time regretting it while sitting on the bathroom floor. That was 12 years ago.

A few years later, I was no less then 10 feet away from some SoCo and felt the rumble. I am sure the same would be true today.

I learned an important lesson that night...always drink in order of decreasing alcohol content. I also learned that I like beer much much more than liquor.

Never again will I hook up with a waitress at Hooters. Now, I know what your thinking, but it was not a good experience. I hooked up with her one night and it was great. About 3 days later I went to see her, I stayed at Hooters drinking until they closed so I could go out to a bar with her. When we got to the bar, had a few shots, chased by beer, and her big ass boyfriend (who she failed to mention) showed up. He then started to beat my ass while my "friends" refused to help me out.
:(

beeraggie said:
Never again will I hook up with a waitress at Hooters. Now, I know what your thinking, but it was not a good experience. I hooked up with her one night and it was great. About 3 days later I went to see her, I stayed at Hooters drinking until they closed so I could go out to a bar with her. When we got to the bar, had a few shots, chased by beer, and her big ass boyfriend (who she failed to mention) showed up. He then started to beat my ass while my "friends" refused to help me out.
:(

Bwa Ha Ha...

oh sorry to hear that. not sure why I found that funny. I will learn from your mistakes though. Hooters waitresses = decoration only!

I think my "friends" who are not anymore were just jealous. Well, I probably deserved it from rubbing it in that I nailed a Hooters girl:rockin:

Playing beer pong with tequila. One game might have been okay, but the second game didn't last too long. I was screaming obscenities and generally being a jerk.

I still drink tequila, just no more hard liquor for beer games.

My never again is Jager. After a night of Jager shot after Jager shot I ended up passing out and throwing up in my sleep which I've never done before or since.

TxBrew said:
My never again is Jager. After a night of Jager shot after Jager shot I ended up passing out and throwing up in my sleep which I've never done before or since.

Always been a fear of mine, glad I've never thrown up in my sleep. Killed my Uncle... but he was zonked out on liquor and morphine.

My never again was Gin Beam (sp) years ago in my fraternity at University of Illinois, when I dressed up as Santa Claus for a holiday party. Drank about 20 ounces of it mixed with 12 ounces of coke and chased it with Icehouse. I was told it was 12 ounces of alcohol and 20 ounces of cola.

Not that it makes that much difference as it is still an obscene amount of alcohol to drink in a short period of time! The next day was a horrible mix of puking and slowly making it up 3 flights of stairs to get out of the common are between naps to minimize the penises and other expletives drawn on my face, along with who knows what other indignities!!

P.S. I don't drink anywhere near that much anymore fortunately.

jager always gets me. it's just so easy to take down. i always wake up having no idea where i am with some broad telling me she loves me. not a fun scenario when you can't remember her name

I'll second the kamikazis.
No more, no how.
Only hard liquor I ever drink anymore is the occasional whiskey (single malt scotch or Rebel Yell bourbon). Then only on the rocks, never mixed. And this is only once a year maybe.
Problem I have with vodka generally is that I get too much in me before I realize it. I can remember getting all walleyed and then realizing the last three shots haven't hit me yet.
Uggh!

ouzo. huhhuuuuh shudder.

"never again" going on 6 years.

can't even smell licorice anything without feeling a bit queasy. I actually did like it a bit. Then one night a friend and I drank a whole bottle. I think I had a head start on it actually...

oh what a night. :drunk:

oh what a morning after... :cross:

I went to a bachelor party close to 30 years ago. I proceeded to drink some of everything in a bottle behind the bar.

Apparently, the other guys took pity on me in the subfreezing temperature, so when I passed out, they sat me up in my '70 Buick Electra.

When I awoke, my coat, the car seat, and the carpeting in the car was coated with frozen puke which contained all the snacks that I had also gobbled down with the alcohol.

The next morning, I had to go out to the car with a bucket of hot soapy water and try to wash the puke off. When the hot water hit the frozen puke, the smell rolled out in clouds, and I got sick all over again!

Wow! Drinking like a fool is so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TxBrew said:

What a shame. Jägermeister is a great German digestive. If you look on the label, it will say, "Nach dem Essen", which means "After the Meal".

If you have ever crossed that fine line of eating too much, a shot of Jäger will make things much better 10 minutes later.

It's not for slammming, shot after shot.

BTW, an Italian digestive called Fernet Branca is much better (but tastes like Robitussin).

Soco for me as well. It was the first tie in high school that I realised that you could get "that drunk". That was 14 years ago. Still can't touch it. And the way it tastes, why would you want to?

plastic bottle vodka

Yep, I was a cheap drunk in high school (but who isn't then?) and thats all I drank. Needless to say there were very many nights that I don't really remember...or was that bc all of the pot I smoked too? maybe the pills? yeah thats another "never again"

ok so never agains:
plastic bottle vodka
booze and pills
pot

deal, I'll just stick with beer...

Funny story:
One time I made a good decision and took some Xanex on a friday at school...this was followed by my irish coffee that morning...I went to german class but I guess I had passed out, my friends told me the next day that my teacher asked me if I was ok and that 20min later I said (very slurred) "yeah herr I just didn't sleep last night)...and some how I never got busted...I remember going to german class but the next thing I remember is waking up in the nurses office 3hrs later with only 15min to get to work...

soco, black velvet and yukon jack. worst nite of my life still can't smell any of it with out retching. that was 15 yrs ago. actually any hard **** neat does that to me anymore

Dude said:

A friend of mine drank beer from a plunger. An in-service plunger.
He didn't get sick but managed to make us all wretch.

You can add that to your list.

I've been stung by some of the hard stuff, but I can still knock down at least one of anything.

I reached a tipping point when I stared down an old nemisis a few years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz
It doesn't bother me anymore.

olllllo said:
A friend of mine drank beer from a plunger. An in-service plunger.

Gross.

olllllo said:
I reached a tipping point when I stared down an old nemisis a few years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz
It doesn't bother me anymore.

What does that stuff taste like? I can't imagine what fermented plums would be like.

My never agains:

Vodka and kool-aid.
Pitchers of Budweiser: Before i discovered real bear I got wasted on this in Florida and puked my guts out in the parking lot. I didn't get drunk for five years afterward. Worse yet, I heard that seagulls came in afterward and ate my puke.

McCall St. Brewer said:
I here ya, there. Other than the kamikaze shot night, the only times I have ever hurled from drinking was when I also combined it with a certain substance that Bill Clinton only tried in England and never inhaled. For me, the two never mixed at all.

That's funny...back in my younger days, I always felt like a little bit of the herb was the best hangover prevention ever. I could drink like a fish and as long as I toked a little I felt great the next day.

Grand Opening Party = (Open Bar) <------ Uh OH!!!!!! :drunk:

Gin & Tonic -> Gold Tequila -> Silver Tequila -> Rum & Coke -> Beer -> Beer Do it All Over again for example: Gin & Tonic -> Gold Tequila -> Silver Tequila -> Rum & Coke -> Beer -> Beer Do it All Over again for example:Gin & Tonic -> Gold Tequila -> Silver Tequila -> Rum & Coke -> Beer -> Beer Do it All Over again for example:Gin & Tonic -> Gold Tequila -> Silver Tequila -> Rum & Coke -> Beer -> Beer Do it All Over again for example:Gin & Tonic -> Gold Tequila -> Silver Tequila -> Rum & Coke -> Beer -> Beer Do it All Over again for example:

Then Do a Few Jager's

Never again

I'll not likely ever have Yukon Jack's Permafrost again. It tastes like mouthwash, and if you drink too much of it, you might try to brush your teeth with a Bic razor. So I've heard...

I'll never again drink $1 shots of well whiskey.

It wasn't a pretty site and I woke up next to the dumpster in the alley.

To this day when my friends tell the story I have to correct them that I woke up next to a dumpster, not in one.

Kinda degrading, but hey it's not as bad as the night when I was 18 and drank cheap ass tequila and ate deer sausage and tried to puke thru the window screen.

And for the record, puke does not travel thru a window screen, even at high speeds!

:tank:

HarvInSTL said:
I'll never again drink $1 shots of well whiskey.

It wasn't a pretty site and I woke up next to the dumpster in the alley.

To this day when my friends tell the story I have to correct them that I woke up next to a dumpster, not in one.

Kinda degrading, but hey it's not as bad as the night when I was 18 and drank cheap ass tequila and ate deer sausage and tried to puke thru the window screen.

And for the record, puke does not travel thru a window screen, even at high speeds!

:tank:

What a picture!

Vodka+energy drink+sprite= me putting on full bunker gear and diving off a board into deep end of pool, then later in the night managing to get on the roof and diving off into the pool. This was done in late dec. How i did not kill my self i will never know. The bunker gear alone had to have added atleast a 100+ pounds to me. I remember only parts, the rest i got from pictures and stores, that and the fact i woke up in my chlorine smelling boxers.

My "never again" was in 1982. I was a young college girl, and drank an entire bottle of peppermint snapps because it was so "yummy". After it was gone, I drank whatever was laying around the frat house party. I got violently sick for several days, still smelling of rotten peppermint.

To this day, the smell of the peppermints they give out at Pizza Hut make me sick.

Back