The music that shaped my life.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I lived in Mobile AL back in the 70's we listened to an excellent radio station, WABB FM. They played such an amazing mix of music that I was probably 15 years old before I realized some people differentiated between blues and rock.. WABB played "regular" stuff like Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Allman Brothers mixed with Taj Mahal, BB King, JJ Cale, Bobby Bland, etc.
When I moved to New Mexico in 1976 the first bunch of people I met were musicians, several of who formed a band. They played a lot of Grateful Dead covers, but also a lot of music that was somewhat new to me.

Corky I do like that classical gutairist
Thank you I think I forgot his name (it's been years)

I remember finding the evens on myspace by chance
Fugazi ( Ian MacKaye ) more mellow stuff
I added a bunch of bands I liked so Okay to look through
I liked the Kramus band with Matt Ledford used to Jam(bass guitar) to that one a lot
I Play Guitar too but I liked jamming to bass with the evens as well
Lucid Fly was good

Finally Riding my bicycle in Chicago I one day stopped in a music store and saw these two Cd's
was so happy

Shelter Two

Cut from the cloth

Corky You might like this as well
Tools Singer band Perfect Circle
Album
Thirteen step

Speaking of that Classical player
I just bought a Claasical Guitar ($2000) didn't pay that much
I finger pick (not supper fast, and bland ) a lot of technique (tonal)

got to go, but I like a cheap guitar more then the $2000 classical
not the style I play (haven't learned ) all technique I made up is lost on classical.
(that of coarse takes years for me to play to come up with my techniques)

(edit Oh Will check those out when I have more time
I Remember Eric Clapton doing a lot of covers by that artist just listened to him JJ Cale)

Last edited:
Corky I do like that classical gutairist
Thank you I think I forgot his name (it's been years)

I remember finding the evens on myspace by chance
Fugazi ( Ian MacKaye ) more mellow stuff
I added a bunch of bands I liked so Okay to look through
I liked the Kramus band with Matt Ledford used to Jam(bass guitar) to that one a lot
I Play Guitar too but I liked jamming to bass with the evens as well
Lucid Fly was good

Finally Riding my bicycle in Chicago I one day stopped in a music store and saw these two Cd's
was so happy

Shelter Two

Cut from the cloth

Corky You might like this as well
Tools Singer band Perfect Circle
Album
Thirteen step

Speaking of that Classical player
I just bought a Claasical Guitar ($2000) didn't pay that much
I finger pick (not supper fast, and bland ) a lot of technique (tonal)

got to go, but I like a cheap guitar more then the $2000 classical
not the style I play (haven't learned ) all technique I made up is lost on classical.
(that of coarse takes years for me to play to come up with my techniques)

(edit Oh Will check those out when I have more time
I Remember Eric Clapton doing a lot of covers by that artist just listened to him JJ Cale)

I like The Evens, I'd never even heard of them but that's a great sound. My daughter and her boyfriend are huge Tool/A perfect Circle fans. We listen to a lot of that while we're visiting them in Phoenix.

Several friends and I took a year off college and worked on the drilling rigs in Hobbs New Mexico in 78/79. I went from a dead broke college student to bringing home $800-100 every 2 weeks. With my first paycheck I went down to the local record store and a really good looking, young(married) clerk took one look at me and suggested 2 new artists: Dire Straits and George Thorogood. I bought their first albums that day and have been hooked on them ever since.

What an amazing and unique sound.

You Mentioned M<oody Blues
Everyone seems to have that White Album
I love Threshold of a dream

I like Tony Joe White
tony joe white polk salad annie

Attachments

• Moody Blues.jpg
    Moody Blues.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 12
Thank you Corky or is it Bs stewart hahahah
I like you like I mentioned sometimes some people must be on the same brain lengths
still find it facinating you mentioned all these bands and I happen to be listening to them

I find this Unfortunate Black Sabbath ALBUMS like sabbatage
or even a later album with Dio like heaven and hell
I love that album as well as Born again (stupid google had to think n my own)

Went to the thirst store Asian lady doesn't like me there
it is like a Seinfield epesode where I want another person to buy me stuff I like
Yes Dug stuff out of the trash (even discovered new music)
I am afraid she might see what I like, and raise the prices
Yes I was at check out they said NO wrong price
yes I dug a 3 sided Mirror out of the trash they took it out, and resold me it
could of used that garbage can full of bandanas (cops called)

so I got to laugh

anyways

I found this album at the Dang place
They Spanish people are nice , but a older white woman tried to charge me so much
so it has been a hassle
(I am good with money and math so I know better, but had to say just give me the sh**
AND my credit because you over charged me I do not have time (that day) )

Anyways after A while of new albums Learned of this.

Tim Buckley Good bye Hello
Love this album
Like to sit for 12 hours soaking in the bath tube listening to it, with others come out like a prune
No man can Find war

great Dire Straights He is a great Guitar player
Most people do not know
still have not got a chance to look at those bands I am sorry
will let you know what I think ( at least I am being honest.)

[...]
great Dire Straights He is a great Guitar player
Most people do not know
[...]

Mark Knopfler. Not only an amazing guitar player, an awesome performer who gets the audience.
I've been on a Dire Straights (and Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks) jag of late, my go-tos in the brewery and work shop these days.
Knopfler is one cool dude who can kill with a guitar...

Cheers!

My philosophy on music is that there is never a better time for music than right now....because, the classics never die, and there is always someone, somewhere making great new music. Depending on you tastes, it might not be easy to find, but it’s out there.

That said, for my money the best songwriter, and my favorite band in the world right now, is Jason Isbell and the 400 unit. If you’re not familiar, and you like songs with words that actually mean something, give it a try.

Mark Knopfler. Not only an amazing guitar player, an awesome performer who gets the audience.
I've been on a Dire Straights (and Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks) jag of late, my go-tos in the brewery and work shop these days.
Knopfler is one cool dude who can kill with a guitar...

Cheers!
In the conversation of the greats, Knopfler is quite possibly the most underrated guitar player on the planet.

I love the bluegrass mixed in with the mainstream stuff. My dad loved bluegrass and Johnny Cash when I was a kid and I hated it. I listen to it now and it brings me home. I also paid paid 5-6 bucks to see a show, but in dive clubs to see lesser known punk and hardcore bands. They were sweaty fire traps but a lot of young angry talent played those clubs. Arenas never appealed to me. I didn't like the idea of having a chair and being so far from the stage that you had to watch the show on a jumbotron. Do they still call it that lol!
Sturgill Simpson just came out with a bluegrass album.

Never heard of him, but wish I had sooner. Damn good stuff. Didn't hear any bluegrass, but some pretty gritty live county rock stuff. Thanks.
he’s one of my fav’s. His newest album is called Cuttin Grass Vol 1. It’s all covers of his previously released material done with more of a Blue Grass vibe.

His Albumn “Metamodern Sounds In Country Music” is, IMO one of the best albums in the last decade.

he’s one of my fav’s. His newest album is called Cuttin Grass Vol 1. It’s all covers of his previously released material done with more of a Blue Grass vibe.

His Albumn “Metamodern Sounds In Country Music” is, IMO one of the best albums in the last decade.
Very nice. I'm not much of a country fan anymore, but he reminds me a lot of Waylon and Willie's Outlaws album.

Very nice. I'm not much of a country fan anymore, but he reminds me a lot of Waylon and Willie's Outlaws album.
I don’t like most Country Music anymore either. A lot of todays popular country is too manufactured sounding, too cliche. But there’s still a handful of artists out there keeping the genre alive in my world.

I know you said you watched some videos, not sure if this is one of them, but it’s one of may favs even though it’s a few years old now.

I don’t like most Country Music anymore either. A lot of todays popular country is too manufactured sounding, too cliche. But there’s still a handful of artists out there keeping the genre alive in my world.

I know you said you watched some videos, not sure if this is one of them, but it’s one of may favs even though it’s a few years old now.

Again, his voice and guitar sounds just like Waylon Jennings, and that' not a bad thing. I don't have easy access to much new music-I live out in the boondocks, I don't have a terrestrial radio station nearby and really only listen to music when I drive, which I avoid as much as possible.

I got married in 1981, one of my old roommates made the trek to Alabama for our wedding and he was a strolling troubadour at our outdoor reception. He played this song from one of my favorite bluegrass bands of the time. We still love to listen to and dance to this song, especially after a bottle of good wine or a few beers. But I have to be careful with the album on my 40 year old turntable.

For me the 80's were a musical wasteland, not much was created that I could even listen to.

Sometimes I do not want to listen to words in music
Sometimes Listen also to drowned out the noises around me.
Below is something I got into in the past year
Also I done this about 16 years ago when My Niece was a young baby
Good to go to sleep in complete silence , but not good to wake up to sudden noise of a baby
So I have put on the music to sleep better at that time in life
right now ear plugs work , because noisy neighbors.
(edit I find you have strange dreams listening to classical music
while sleeping I find words can be a distraction to fall asleep)

My CD is different then this picture below)
( Ludwig Van Beethoven Beruhmte Klavier-Sonaten)
For instance adagio sostenuto (is Midnight sonata on the CD, and not in link first song)
Song ii Allegretto (not in link) --

song iii Presto Agitato (700 minutes) see second link
Reminds me of a Tom & Jerry Cartoon or
Somethings you'd see on a Charlie Chaplin movie

Piano Sonata
No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 "Waldstein"
I. Allegro con brio
II. Introduzione. Adagio molto - attacca
III. Rondo. Allegretto moderato - Prestissimo
Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
Claudio Arrau (1903-1991)

in my little brain this type of music plays
as I try to make the train every time
I do go to the train running late which is every time.

See war time songs next from CD bought.

Attachments

• Vienna master series.jpg
    Vienna master series.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
When I lived in Mobile AL back in the 70's we listened to an excellent radio station, WABB FM. They played such an amazing mix of music that I was probably 15 years old before I realized some people differentiated between blues and rock.. WABB played "regular" stuff like Beatles, Stones, Moody Blues, Allman Brothers mixed with Taj Mahal, BB King, JJ Cale, Bobby Bland, etc.
I lived in Mobile 77-78. In the old Lafayette Square apartments. Went to WP Davidson HS 10th and 11th grade. That was a freaky town in the 70s. Stoner central. Used to go to shows at the Civic Center, Ft. Whiting Armory. Nugent, Nazareth, Charlie Daniels, Aerosmith, Frank Marino, Foghat. I worked at Shakey’s PIzza on Airport Blvd one summer. Still got good friends on Dauphin Island. WABB was the stuff. Album rock.

I lived in Mobile 77-78. In the old Lafayette Square apartments. Went to WP Davidson HS 10th and 11th grade. That was a freaky town in the 70s. Stoner central. Used to go to shows at the Civic Center, Ft. Whiting Armory. Nugent, Nazareth, Charlie Daniels, Aerosmith, Frank Marino, Foghat. I worked at Shakey’s PIzza on Airport Blvd one summer. Still got good friends on Dauphin Island. WABB was the stuff. Album rock.
I left in 1976. When I came back a few years later WABB was country music and everything had changed. But we had some excellent music back then.

Still got good friends on Dauphin Island.
My family vacationed on Dauphin Island for 6 of the last 7 years (this year being the one we skipped because of obvious reasons). I'd bet it was a pretty cool place in the 70s

On topic, my tastes tend toward eccentric and nothing really stands out as "shaping my life", but various genres definitely provided the soundtrack.

Nirvana definitely earns the "shaped my life" distinction because in gradeschool all I listened to was cheesy pop music (e.g. C+C Music Factory) and commercial hip hop (e.g. Vanilla Ice) with the odd power ballad thrown in (e.g. "I Remember You" by Skid Row.) But in Grade 9 (or, "ninth grade" to my American friends), the first time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" boom over the PA during an event in our high school cafetria, I was a changed person. Almost literally over night I ditched the mixtapes of the aforementioned music and started growing my hair long and delving into rock and roll. I wore out my copy of Nevermind, it was played so many times. A few months later, I talked my parents into buying me a guitar, and I've been playing ever since.

Somewhat paradoxically, these days, I kind of struggle stomaching most 90s music. Aside from a small selection of albums, much of it just hasn't aged well to my ears.

My favorite band overall is Rush; a completely different animal altogether. You could play me any song from their 40 year career and I'd be able to name the song, album, and year of release.

Weird thing about Rush and Nirvana for me is that as important as they are to my musical past and present, I don't really care much for any other bands that would be comparable to them.

The vast majority of the music listening I've done over the last 20 years has been geared toward discovering new music that would never see the light of day on hit radio stations and the like. I definitely cringe when I hear people say "all new music sucks, maaaan" - which is a very ignorant viewpoint, IMO. There is always something going on that is good; the problem - if there is one - is that rock and roll is getting older and older and all of the most obvious tricks and colors and textures have been done to death, so you have to walk the line of doing things that are derivative enough to be recognizable as rock and roll but original enough to be fresh. Personally, while I will always respect originality, I couldn't care less if music breaks any new ground - a good song is a good song.

Services such as Spotify and the like have made it possible for me to go crazy with music exploration, which as a concept, it turns out, isn't as great as it might have sounded 10-20 years ago. It's just too much - I call it "death by options." The result is that I end up recognizing individual songs and not bands. The concept of the "album" has become almost meaningless as a framework for music distribution. I need to get back to basics I guess.

Services such as Spotify and the like have made it possible for me to go crazy with music exploration, which as a concept, it turns out, isn't as great as it might have sounded 10-20 years ago. It's just too much - I call it "death by options." The result is that I end up recognizing individual songs and not bands. The concept of the "album" has become almost meaningless as a framework for music distribution. I need to get back to basics I guess.
I was very, very happy to see the grunge movement shove disco into the ditch. Nirvana and Pearl Jam were my favorites, but the genre created a ton of fresh music that sounded much like the music I grew up listening to.
And I completely sympathize with you on the subject of albums. In the 70's I could tell you the members of 100 different bands, see an album cover(there was some great art on albums back then) and tell you what the 3rd song on side 2 would be. Not anymore, I'm now at the point that I hear a song I like and have no idea who it is, where to find it, or even the name of the song. My wife uses Shazam app, but so much of the music that we don't know, Shazam doesn't recognize either.

I grew up in the 80's, but was much happier to play my dad's record collection than anything that was on the radio at that time, so my early influences are The Doors, rolling stones, janis joplin, hendrix etc.
My own taste started developing when I started secondary school(age 11-12) and with new friends, discovered Iron Maiden, Type 0 Negative and other metal.
Nirvana was interesting, but my biggest "discovery" was in my late teens, when bands like Nightwish, Within temptation, the gathering and After Forever came on the scene in the Netherlands.

I grew up in the 80's, but was much happier to play my dad's record collection than anything that was on the radio at that time, so my early influences are The Doors, rolling stones, janis joplin, hendrix etc.
My own taste started developing when I started secondary school(age 11-12) and with new friends, discovered Iron Maiden, Type 0 Negative and other metal.
Nirvana was interesting, but my biggest "discovery" was in my late teens, when bands like Nightwish, Within temptation, the gathering and After Forever came on the scene in the Netherlands.

The Gathering sounds interesting, the others have that melodious vocals but not nearly enough screaming, ear splitting, irritating guitar riffs for me 😁 😁

Back