The music that shaped my life.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkybstewart

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All my life I have loved music, but the only musical instrument I ever learned to play was the stereo. I'm going to post links to the music that shaped my musical tastes, pretty much in chronological order. Feel free to add your musical history.
My sister loved this band , and since she had a record player and I didn't, I listened to this band a lot.

Oh man what a great thread. Music has been a huge part of my life. I constantly have music playing no matter what I’m doing.
I’m the same as OP. As much as I wish I could I was never able to play an instrument.
Growing up I always tried imitating my older brother, listening to what he did. Mostly 80’s hair metal Motley Crue, Rush,Ozzy and so on.
But I was about 13-14 when I heard this guy and about 2 weeks after I first heard it I got to see him in concert. It changed everything and blew my mind and sent me down the rabbit hole of punk rock and what my wife now calls my terrible taste in music.

But I was about 13-14 when I heard this guy and about 2 weeks after I first heard it I got to see him in concert.

I wasn't expecting to add anything to this thread, but you brought me right back to high school, class of 91. I was a huge Rollins Band fan and I was actually in the video you posted. He shot it in Elizabeth, NJ. My music taste has changed a lot since then and so has my taste in beer. I saw a lot of great hardcore/punk bands back in the day.

My sister loved Herb Alpert, and I listened to so much Beatles music I actually hated them until Sergeant Pepper came out. But she also had a bunch of Doors singles, this is one I heard a lot. BTW, this was happening when I was about 8-10 years old in the 60's.

I grew up listening to my dad's Led Zeppelin, Santana and Pink Floyd albums. I remember going with him to a now-defunct department store (half-step below what Target is now, but they had a great record selection back then,) and him saying, "OK, we're looking for Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets today." I went to town looking for it (of course, that one doesn't have the title on the front, so I had no idea what I was looking for.)
Much later, it was Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction that really kicked me into picking up guitar.
Now, I have a hugely varied tastes - anything from classical to death metal, including blues, jazz, world music, and so on. Abut the on;y styles I don't care for are modern country and most rap / R&B.

Brewers fall into one of three camps:

1. Allman Brothers/Dead/Phish granola munching hippies

2. Metalheads

3. Punks/Skins

Or some overlap of the three.

If you ain't at least one of those three, stop brewing. You don't belong.
LOL. I'm definitely a Metalhead / punk / skin (skanker, anyway) with an appreciation for the granola hippie.
But where would classic stuff like THe Who, Floyd, Zep, etc fall?

The Who is glam/mod enough to appease the skins. Floyd is definitely granola munching hippie. And Led Zep can straddle the line between hippie and metalhead (can definitely see some early forebears of doom metal in there, though Sabbath certainly the genesis of it)

Also, where ska is concerned....

My coworkers were upset to lose Eddie Van Halen. I was upset to lose Johnny Nash and Bunny Lee the same day as EVH. Plus Toots Hibbert not long ago. Sad times for Jamaican legends.
Hearing all that. I'm a guitar player, but I've never been a fan of VH, the person or the band. The shredding style never appealed to me. However, I can appreciate how he did turn heavy rock guitar on it's head when they came out in '77. Take this how you will, but Van Halen was directly responsible for the musicianship of the hair metal bands a decade later. Mix that with the glam of New York Dolls, Ziggy-era Bowie, plus KISS and Alice Cooper, and there you are.
I saw Toots a few years ago. Great show, though I was a little disappointed that Pressure Drop was played second in the set, and it was a shortened version - maybe a minute and a half.

I was lucky enough enough to see Toots as well. Even well into his later years still gave shows his all.

I respect Eddie Van Halen as a musician. My distaste for Van Halen the band is primarily distaste for both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. I generally don't like hair metal apart from NWBHM stuff (love me some Maiden...).

I was lucky enough enough to see Toots as well. Even well into his later years still gave shows his all.

I respect Eddie Van Halen as a musician. My distaste for Van Halen the band is primarily distaste for both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. I generally don't like hair metal apart from NWBHM stuff (love me some Maiden...).
NWBHM isn;t hair at all - they may have used some spray at some point. Maiden is tough to classify - somewhere between thrash and prog-metal, before it was a thing?
I've gotten into Maiden in the past few years, as well as thrash - I;ve been a Metallica fan for a long time, but relatively recently gotten into Anthrax, Testament, some Megadeth, etc.,
Definitely into the ska as well - the old-school guys, second wave, third wave etc. A ways back there were shows all the time, for 8 - 10 bucks you could see 3 or 4 bands - I was at shows minimum every couple weeks. found some great bands as openers, it wasn't unusual that the openers were better than the headliners. Things have cooled way off since then - I;m getting older and there aren't as many cheap shows anymore - not counting COVID-era, but for a long time before.

Yeah as far as metal I'm picky. I love thrash (Kreator my fav of the style but plenty of others) and Maiden I see as the father of. Love Motorhead too though Lemmy was first to admit while they get grouped in with NWBHM they weren't a metal band. Also like doom, especially the old stuff (love me some Pagan Altar). I don't mine Swedish melodic death metal (namely At The Gates). Beyond that I'm exceptionally hard to please with metal.

I'm not big on 3rd wave ska (apart from later bands influenced by earlier styles- absolutely LOVE Hepcat). Much more partial to 2 Tone and first wave, though more a rocksteady and skinhead reggae lad at the end of the day (along with Oi! and NYHC). That said I've got Madness' "One Step Beyond" on vinyl and it's one of my heavier plays.

I wish I could I was never able to play an instrument.

i can play fruity loops, all it is is sex 1's and 2's...don't know how to read or write it classically though.....

and when i was into the BBS scene i like getting MOD files from the boards....playing them in DOS.....

I've been a musician since I was a kid, about 45 years now. I play guitars of all kinds, electric bass, drums, and mandolin.

American folk music was my earliest influence, followed by 70's soft rock, disco, 80's New Romantics and alternative, progressive rock, jazz fusion, funk/R&B, jazz of all kinds, Brazilian styles, flamenco, mellow electronica, bluegrass, modern Americana. And I indulge in a few other genres when the mood hits.

I'm all over the place. I have favorite bands from every style, so the list is too long to mention. Only styles I just can't dig are rap, modern country, and death metal.

I'm going to post links to the music that shaped my musical tastes, pretty much in chronological order.

You only got as far as the Doors. I was hoping to see more of your list. BTW, I was young for the Doors, but loved Light My Fire. That and ” Rock and Roll Fantasy" by Bad Company got a lot of play on the jukebox at the campground when I was young. Blondie and Kiss too. Thought I was hot **** listening to that stuff at 6 or 7 yrs old. Playing pinball because video games were too new on the market.

You only got as far as the Doors. I was hoping to see more of your list. BTW, I was young for the Doors, but loved Light My Fire. That and ” Rock and Roll Fantasy" by Bad Company got a lot of play on the jukebox at the campground when I was young. Blondie and Kiss too. Thought I was hot **** listening to that stuff at 6 or 7 yrs old. Playing pinball because video games were too new on the market.
Just getting started. I really got started with what I call the 2nd British invasion: Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath. Here are 2 of my all time favorite albums(I was reading a lot of Tolkein at the time)

First real concert was 3 Dog Night with my swim team coach and his 2 sons. Coach slept through it and later told my parents there was nothing bad about concerts, so the next weekend he dropped the 3 of us off to see Alice Cooper's Dead Babies concert. A guy on stilts in an Uncle am suit next to us was dispensing herbal medicines, life was never the same. We were pressed against the stage less than 5 feet from Alice. Mobile Alabama was between military bases-one in Mississippi and several in Florida, and since our city councilors were getting kickbacks from promoters we had big name concerts every week. We saw Carlos Santana open for Eric Clapton(1973 maybe) for $6. A friend had tickets for the Rolling Stones-my ears were ringing from 2 concerts already that week so I passed, what a mistake.
And then I heard this from a girlfriends father:

I love the bluegrass mixed in with the mainstream stuff. My dad loved bluegrass and Johnny Cash when I was a kid and I hated it. I listen to it now and it brings me home. I also paid paid 5-6 bucks to see a show, but in dive clubs to see lesser known punk and hardcore bands. They were sweaty fire traps but a lot of young angry talent played those clubs. Arenas never appealed to me. I didn't like the idea of having a chair and being so far from the stage that you had to watch the show on a jumbotron. Do they still call it that lol!

I love the bluegrass mixed in with the mainstream stuff. My dad loved bluegrass and Johnny Cash when I was a kid and I hated it. I listen to it now and it brings me home. I also paid paid 5-6 bucks to see a show, but in dive clubs to see lesser known punk and hardcore bands. They were sweaty fire traps but a lot of young angry talent played those clubs. Arenas never appealed to me. I didn't like the idea of having a chair and being so far from the stage that you had to watch the show on a jumbotron. Do they still call it that lol!
The first show with a Jumbotron I saw was Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare-that was an incredible concert and I later read he only performed it about a dozen times so I feel very lucky to have seen it.

Coincidence you bring up Jimmy Buffet , and some of the other bands
Do not want to go on about it, but I have been listening to those recently

(Black Sabbath #4 Deep purple Slaves, and master )

Must be on the same Brain Wave lengths or something

I was born In 82 though

My Dad always had the Radio on Oldies dick biondi 104.3 (still remember )(chicagoland )
Jerry Lee louis, Fat domino's ,

Now on radio they are mixxing up Oldies with late 60's If I am in the mood play that genra (not classic rock)
which I like, but hate radio most the time..

Also First song learned on Guitar Queensyryche Silent lucidity
(I was like 8 ot 9, but not older then 9 that's for sure)

I love Music Played Guitar like from 9 yrs. (45 minutes) switched two hours, and 20 minutes quickly
No one asked me to either

people brought up Not learning Guitar but tried , because teachers suck
(they taught me, but switched teachers to a crappy one-- I am glad (NOW) though)
Think it's sad seeing all the You tube teachers --- those old mel bay books are great (book 1 etc_)
(learn in every guitar position (it repeats every 5 squares on the neck)(except one string)
(not the Ones released that are new publishers though-- I tried Em at the library they suck)
Not hard to learn all the keys either, and circle of fifths , and how to read it, and use it.

What the Beatles did was the first Popular pop band to Go all over the circle of Fifths (jazz does it)
Something like this is common)
(like in C on Piano it is all white keys (except relative Minor A still in same KEY)
, the key relative Minor A related to C -- F# G# (black keys) are used ( and in key of C)
but that is common (like for the Hook), they switched all over the keys (Like key b Minor from key C)

Listening Now to Faith No More (I like listening to whole albums King for a day)
Evidence

Oh forgot

Got a bunch of 8 tracks
believe it or not born in 82 had used those as a kid
I was the baby brothe --- My brother 3 years older (and 2 sisters)

Anyways Black Sabbath sounds so great on 8 track
My brother had a Nice equlizer (not build in to the stereo )
Cd's sounds nice growing up , but on a different stereo
Years later I was saying to myself
I am not in the mood for Black Sabbath
I made a tape of a tape of the 8 track Amazing
(I made a (cassette ) tape of a (8track) tape Amazing .

Really like Jethro Tull Songs of the wood
Had a listen to the stuff in the 80's I was like what is this
I like it now.

Also like Diesel, and dust midnight oil
has a Talking heads sound to it

Those 8 tracks I got on freecycle when it was good
I used to work between 70 to 77 hours never a break (and bicycling kept me sane)
I wasn't able to get more from the guy (he said I needed to take them all -- a whole garage full)
but a lot of 40's horn bands as well -- I like Chicago, Blood sweet & tears, but just didn't have the room
anyways if I Am not into the music sometimes great to jam to, and use for that..

Not active but some good old bands here
great your passionate about music
https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/connections/out
But I also grew up in the 90's So Alice in chains /mad season Nirvana (in utero is great) Soundgarden primus faith no more
Also thrash metal seplatura /soulfly pantera Down super joint ritual --
Kind diamond / mercyful fate (different style) Machine head ,Iron Madein

Stuff like that, and 80's hair bands as well

Funny I made jokes to punk people saying Yeah I like that ****
pop stuff which I didn't ) At least I am not a poser. as a joke always funny,
but I am honest not liking some music at least not trying to be fake.

Last edited:
Skinny Puppy. Discovered it in high school through a friend. Up to then had listened to I guess normal top 40 or classic rock and didn't even know such a thing as Skinny Puppy even existed. Skip forward a minute if desired to get to the music. "Music" (some may not call it that).

Led me straight down the rabbit hole to Front Line Assy, KMFDM, Front 242, Ministry, etc. It's much of what I still listen to today, and in a way how I met many of my friends.

Wow That reminds me of Tom Waits
What's He building in there

Heard KMFDM

Not the same album , but I love SwordFishTrombone

I'd go to ,and still do go to a CD shop or thrift shop with a CD player to listen to all the Cd's
Been yelled at a few times (what I am spending $80 and been here all day think I am stealing)
When I go on bike rides 100's on miles sometimes not the best idea (with records too)
Had my back bike rim collasp , and walk a entire day
(10 - 20 miles maybe with a wobbly back rim throwing every thing off balance as I walk all day.

whats He building in there

Tom waits Swordfishtrombones.jpg

Tom waits
Swordfishtrombones

Last edited:
Dynamics = it is the notes are played at different levels of volume

Listen to No cheer Tom Waits , and the song before, and the last song Rainbirds
So Beautiful

I get mad when I play fast people think it is so good My slow songs
man playing till your lower legs get Numb in the same chair for a month
raised catholic so 40 days for lent to play --- those slow songs very hard with tricky rhythm.
people say I have it in me, but your brain gets old, and rottin so who knows if I will ever be able to play like I did.

Even tho I came up on punk and hardcore (which is usually playing whenever I’m working alone) the last few years I’ve really been into older country ie... Johnny Cash,Waylon,Hank Sr, Jr and 3
Mike Ness’ solo stuff tends to blend the 2 for me.

Great thread guys!
@wsmith1625 nice pull on Fugazi, I am going to have to see if pandora will pull them up or go find the cd as I head out to work in the garage tonight!
Did I miss it or did nobody bring up Pink Floyd?
Simon and Garfunkel got alot of play as I was growing up in the house, and other bands that I can't name but my parents owned the vinyl. The soundtrack to Jesus Crist Superstar was fixed into that rotation as well.
Grew up and got my CD player and hit Circuit City for a healthy mix of grundge, classic rock, and nineties metal (with some Beastie Boys, Snoop, and Dre sprinkled in).
Not much I won't listen to.

All of it.

From the show tunes, Dixieland Jazz, and movie soundtrack albums my folks listened to in the ‘50s, Elvis, Buddy Holly, doo-wop, and girl groups in the late ‘50s-early ‘60s, the British Invasion, bubblegum pop in the mid ‘60s, the swing band music I played as a sax player in a high school swing band in the mid 60s, to the country I started listening to when Disco came along, to the classic rock I listen to today.

All of it.

Back