The moment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShorelineThomas

Reaction score
That something happened!

Newbie brewer here, on his first-ever batch...partial boil, partial mash. A "Red" ale. Very simple recipe. (With all the various pots and pans going, some boiling, some chilling in the fridge, I'm thinking this first time out--using insufficient equipment--will be harder than my next boil, my first full boil, that I'll do in a few weeks when the larger pot and wort chiller arrive in the post. But I digress.)

I think I did all the steps adequately well. But, when I pitched the yeast into the cooled wort, I'm guessing both were at about 82F. Probably too high! I started to worry when one hour went by and still the temperature (fermometer) was off the scale (it only goes to 78-ish). But then at hour 2, after moving the fermentation bucket to the cool, 65F basement, the temp was now solidly at 78.

An hour later, at hour 3, I checked it again. Temp about 77. I now looked at the airlock. Gulp...it was apparently sucking, not blowing. The volume of liquid must have cooled to the point where it was pulling in the water (actually star-san dilution). I don't think it pulled any into the fermenter, but the interior level was greater than the exterior level, so clearly there was a vacuum in the fermenter. I was staring at it, pondering. Oh dear. Hmmm.... Then,

BLURP

A puff of gas from inside, turning that vacuum into outward pressure! It was awesome that I happened to be there at that very moment, when the flow reversed. What a puff of reassurance! So maybe the yeast isn't dead, or shocked terminally, or whatever.

Now, I'm still thinking 76-77 is a bit high for start of fermentation, from what I read here, but I've little choice. I'll keep this in the 65F basement and hope it finds a nice low equlibrium temperature. I wonder if this first 3 hours of "too hot" will make the brew taste funny (assuming everything comes out well)?!

Well, we'll see. Thanks for the excellent posts all...

Temps affect brews significantly. Wort Chillers help to bring the temps down faster, but don't get anxious and pitch at high temps. It'll impart a light, hot, spicy taste you won't want. No wort chiller? Improvise. Ice baths, no chill, etc. Just search the forums.

You might consider a swamp cooler setup in the basement. While you say the basement is 65, it's not abnormal for your brew to be several degrees higher. Take 1 rubbermaid tub full of water, a t-shirt over your bucket/carboy that reaches into the water, and a fan blowing on low to make a swamp chiller. Augment the water with pre-frozen 2 liters of water, and monitor with a thermometer. Keeps them right down in the mid 60's no trouble.

Temp can make the difference between a decent brew, and a spectacularly good one.

You'll still get beer, and it will still be drinkable, but anyone who's brewed for any length of time will tell you keeping the temp in the right ranges will really step up the quality of your brews.

vhampyre,

Thank you. After seeing your post, I went back to the basement to build a shallow ice water bath for my fermentation bucket, fan, wet T-shirt setup...;)

Anything to get that darn temperature DOWN. Let's hope the 3 hours of "hot" fermentation don't leave too much of a scar.

Edit: Now at hour 6.5 since yeast pitching, and temp is at 70. This cooling setup is definitely helping.

Realistically, so little brewing was done in the short period of time since you pitched that there are probably very few fusel alcohols formed (that's what gives it that light, hot, spicy taste). I expect you won't have any issues, since the time wasn't that long. Usually takes a while until the yeast get really active at converting sugar to the beloved alcohol.

However, glad to see the temps came down right quick for you. You'll really step up your brewing game by controlling the fermentation temperatures.

Thanks again! The yeast I'm using is apparently pretty forgiving stuff (packet of Munton's) and it has been keeping the airlock perking away at the same rate at 80F when it got started, as 64 F where it is now.

I think I'll be satisfied with 64F as my ferm. temp., seeing that my basement temp is now about 63. This is a great deal cooler than I had imagined the ferm temp would actually be. But the fermentation is definitely happening so I'll just RDW etc. :)

Time to report on my first-ever batch of homebrew... :ban:

It's day 11 since bottling. Just after bottling, I had the batch upstairs, in about 72 degree room temps, for about one week, then moved it to the now 62-degree basement. Took one and put it in the fridge last night. Cracked it open this evening, and poured carefully. Observations:

(It's a "red ale" with a very simple recipe, just one kind of grain, one kind of liquid pale malt, and some cascade hops. It was a partial boil, partial mash.)

1. Not too much carbonation, but maybe enough. No real head to speak of. Some bubbling up from the bottom of the glass.

2. Taste: not bad! Reminds me of the taste of the beer I sampled from the hydrometer jar a couple of weeks ago. A little hoppy, a little sweet. No detectable off-flavors, but seems sort of boring. Is this what green beer is like? Tiniest bit of sourness in the aftertaste, but nothing bad lingers in the mouth.

3. Later on, during dinner, I sipped it unconsciously. I noticed that I didn't really feel like it's any different from, say, a store-bought brew I'm accustomed to such as an amber or ESB. I'm not getting warning signals or a sense that I'm drinking anything strange.

4. The yeast residue, after pouring into the kitchen sink, had a strange, almost grayish color. But the yeast I left in the carboy just before bottling was yellowish. Could the yeast color have to do with the addition of priming sugar (corn sugar)?

I'm pleasantly surprised it seems to be going well. As for the "boringness" of the beer, I wonder if it's due to the very simple recipe? Or maybe just green beer?

OK, I'm now emboldened to start my next batch. Something with a darker, more forceful, roasty-toasty taste...I'm thinking maybe a robust porter, perhaps with maple? Any suggestions?

It all depends on your case. I would caution however, if you're like me and you get one batch under you're belt you think you're ready for the big time. Stay simple and stay with things you enjoy. Tell us, what is your favorite dark beer?

If "the big time" means doing a full boil, I think I'm ready for that ;)

Very good point though...maybe I should attempt a relatively simple recipe, if I can find one that is close in taste to a beer I already like. I sort of did that for my first ever brew, but that wasn't done on my own equipment. It was a more complicated recipe, and tasted like a local favorite that doesn't come in bottles (but appears in restaurants and bars). It's that experience that got me into home brewing in the first place. :mug:

11 days is not enough time to get full carbonation. I know it is difficult, but be patient - let the bottles sit for a full 3 weeks at 70ish degrees. Then pop some in the fridge. Ideally you leave them in the fridge for a few days at least - longer would be better - to get the co2 from the bottle headspace to go back into solution.

Congrats on your first brew.

3 weeks? Oh, I see... thank you. I've been reading the instructions that came with the kit, which advised one week at 70 then a week at a "cooler location" and that beer can initially be drunk 10 days after bottling.

Apparently these instructions are incorrect, as frequently posted in this forum. I didn't think that most everything would be wrong. <<bringing bottles back up from basement>> :cross:

I've plenty of time. I'll wait another two weeks before cracking the next one. ;)

Status report:

I brought the bottled beer up for 13 more days in room temperature. When I first brought it back up, I inverted each bottle and swirled it to get the yeast remixed into solution. Result:

Holy cow, big difference. It's real beer now. Richer, sharper, foamier...it has a 1/2 inch head. Tastes much much better, although it still has an apple cider taste. Not bad, but still a little unlike beer. If that taste is just a part of this recipe, I can live with it, as I kind of like it.

What blew me away was that this "caterpillar to butterfly" transformation took only 13 days, that the conversion was so substantial. This hobby is amazing. :mug:

What blew me away was that this "caterpillar to butterfly" transformation took only 13 days, that the conversion was so substantial. This hobby is amazing. :mug:

Same thing happened to me. I left a Austin Homebrew Supply Blue Moon Clone in my closet to age. I had one at a week or so and was rather disappointed, and totally forgot about it. A month went by and I'm just now drinking them and the beer is completely different! It's delicious! Instead of drinking my beers early now, I just bought a lot of fermenters and brew instead! Gotta feed the addiction somehow!

Back