The lime beer experiment, help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtheroux

Reaction score
Ive read alot about how some people are zesting lime to the boil, adding lime marmilade, and even frozen mixes.

I just sat down with the SWMBO and had a glass of tea she had made that had lime zest, coconut, blk tea and other stuff i cant recall right now. That al being said it had a very large lime aroma and a extremly cleam fresh malty flavour from the coconut and blk tea... With just a 4 minuit boil there was no harse tanins and a perfect golden colour.... Is this a tea site??

Back to my point

Has anybody ever used tea for flavouring??

*****Will the ***caffien*** of the blk tea have any ill effects??? (i really like the idea of having a little caffien in there)*****

Any other concerns here??

The experment will go as follows

I have a large San Fran yeast starter brewing up that i planned on using for a lager inspired beer

I was going to make a 4 G batch that i split up into 5 1 G glass jars that i have stumbled across. Each glass carboy im going to do something different with lime flavouring. And record as best as i can on what the flavours do

LIME BEER IS ONLY TO BE DRANK WITH SHORTS, SUNGLASSES, and in company of SWMBO of the BOYS

1 - My tea experiment with 1G of proper brewed tea that has the DME added to bring of to OG 1.55

2 - Zesting limes into the boil

3 -1/2 the zest, half the tea

4 - lime zest made into a mead that is added later in secondary.. correct me if im wronge... This is lime zest soaked in vodka for a couple days????

5- Anything that somebody want to recoment and i will record all the findings and post

Any tips on hops??

I was thinking something commercial like gallena, and something a little cirusty like warrior... But havent giving it much though at all

Thank you guys.. This website makes it to easy when it give anybody direct contact with everybody here

GT

short answer to the caffeine is no. Long answer- think four loco but with much less caffeine. Theres more than a few recipes on here with tea used, specifically black tea so im sure your going to be fine. The zest soaked in vodka will work to leach flavors but make sure you don't zest down to the pith or it's going to be a foul bitter flavor in your beer. I would add the zest at the very end of the boil if not the whirlpool (if you do Whirlpool). Then taste at the end of fermentation and if it needs more you can always supplement additional zest. No clue on hops although i can tell you warrior is more of a peppery flavor in my experience but that's my own pallet. Good luck

Back