The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the same boat, I would like to have a dedicated pizza oven but the fact it is dedicated is the part that keeps me from doing it. I made a double layer thing with a pizza stone on the grill grates and a pizza steel cantilevering from the warmer shelf and have been getting OK performance. I use the steel and stone in the kitchen oven in a similar fashion, but the steel by itself works just fine too.

I am in the same boat, I would like to have a dedicated pizza oven but the fact it is dedicated is the part that keeps me from doing it. I made a double layer thing with a pizza stone on the grill grates and a pizza steel cantilevering from the warmer shelf and have been getting OK performance. I use the steel and stone in the kitchen oven in a similar fashion, but the steel by itself works just fine too.

I hear ya. Much as I'd like to buy a pizza oven, it's the whole dedicated part and the cost that makes me reconsider.

9C6B4AB5-8B3E-475E-9708-C8C1582A14A3.jpeg

Alright guys, it’s almost May. Some of us are working on our beach body, some of us are working on our “I can’t hide this under a hoodie anymore” body.

It’s totally okay to sub “white whole wheat flour” (yes that’s a thing) for your normal white/bread flour. Go with thin crust. Go with veggie toppings like mushrooms and spinach. Try the “one hand cheese challenge”. Take your biggest single handful of cheese, and that’s it! Spread it as well as you can! You might find (like me) that you don’t even notice the difference with the smaller amount of cheese!

You can have your pie and eat it too! 😁

Attachments

• C9DF4CA0-2B43-4008-81BF-023F4F1068E9.jpeg
    C9DF4CA0-2B43-4008-81BF-023F4F1068E9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Alright guys, it’s almost May. Some of us are working on our summer body, some of us are working on our “I can’t hide this under a hoodie anymore” body.

It’s totally okay to sub “white whole wheat flour” (yes that’s a thing) for your normal white/bread flour. Go with thin crust. Go with veggie toppings like mushrooms and spinach. Try the “one hand cheese challenge”. Take your biggest single handful of cheese, and that’s it! Spread it as well as you can! You might find (like me) that you don’t even notice the difference with the smaller amount of cheese!

Can use your hand as scoop instead of a claw? :)

Love this thread. Anybody using one of the Ooni pizza ovens? You guys make me want to buy one.
I have the smallest Ooni, they are pretty fun and work well but are very temperamental. Usually cook on the cooler side for a longer period to get better results. It can cook a pie in 60 seconds but you better have your **** together! Have smeared a few pies across the stone and ruined dinner but live and learn :)

I read that one of the biggest challenges for newbies is just getting the pizza into the oven off the peal without it sticking? Cornmeal helps, but I think I read there’s more to it?

It can be a little tricky, the biggest issue is the pie sticking to the peel and how it reacts when it hits the stone changes as it gets hotter

Alright guys, it’s almost May. Some of us are working on our beach body, some of us are working on our “I can’t hide this under a hoodie anymore” body.

I have had homemade pizza where they thought the more cheese the better.
I believe that moderation of all toppings lets the flavor of the crust recipe show through. Then the kids get the bottle of ranch and dunk it 🤯

As far as dough sticking to peel, I came up with something this weekend and it worked great. Place a piece of parchment paper on peel first, then corn meal. If dough sticks to paper just place in oven with the paper and after about 30-60 seconds you can remove the paper with ease. I did get my pizza off the paper and directly on stone with no problem, just relieved any concerns.

My biggest tip is to make sure it's not stuck to the peel before you go to launch it. I always build the pie on the peel, so I try to work as quick as possible, give it a little "shimmy" occasionally and right before I launch to make sure it's moving freely. If it doesn't, you can always try to lift the dough and throw some addition flour on it.

I meant to add, since it was discussed above, that while I normally build my pizzas on a wooden peel with semolina sprinkled on it and launch from there, since I rolled these skins out between parchment paper sheets anyway, I just built the pizzas on the paper, launched them still on the paper, then removed the paper after a couple of minutes as described above. Very simple and almost fool proof!

I meant to add, since it was discussed above, that while I normally build my pizzas on a wooden peel with semolina sprinkled on it and launch from there, since I rolled these skins out between parchment paper sheets anyway, I just built the pizzas on the paper, launched them still on the paper, then removed the paper after a couple of minutes as described above. Very simple and almost fool proof!
care to share your particular dough recipe? The cheese pie looks prime...
I always use the parchment on the stone in the oven as well, cant do that with the Ooni.

This thread has inspired me, I think I may fire up the Kettlepizza and see how she works. It's been since probably 2019 since I used it.

Trying to avoid the burned crust and raw tops that I used to get :ghostly:

Narrator: He did not avoid burned crust and raw tops :mad:

I think my Kettle pizza either gets too hot (850-900), perhaps my stone is too thin and doesn't transfer the heat right. Maybe I will put less coal in and keep it more in the 650 range.

Corn meal is the answer. Dust your paddle with that before you drop the rolled-out dough on it, and it'll be smooth sailin! :)

We used corn meal on wooden peels at Shakey's 45 years ago. Big wooden peels that would fit two large pizzas. Corn meal works great but it does make a mess in your oven.

When I build on and launch from my single wooden peel no I use semolina or corn meal. But the parchment paper method is pretty hard to beat for an indoor home oven since they generally don't get over 500-550 degrees F. I would not use parchment paper in a higher temperature oven. Parchment paper box says oven safe to 450 degrees F, but I only leave it in the oven briefly then pull it out from under the pie as soon as the skin firms up a bit.

We used corn meal on wooden peels at Shakey's 45 years ago. Big wooden peels that would fit two large pizzas. Corn meal works great but it does make a mess in your oven.

When I build on and launch from my single wooden peel no I use semolina or corn meal. But the parchment paper method is pretty hard to beat for an indoor home oven since they generally don't get over 500-550 degrees F. I would not use parchment paper in a higher temperature oven. Parchment paper box says oven safe to 450 degrees F, but I only leave it in the oven briefly then pull it out from under the pie as soon as the skin firms up a bit.
I use parchment paper in my outdoor propane pizza oven which gets up to 700-800F. I do cut the paper so it's just a bit bigger than the pizza and after cooking for a couple minutes, I will rotate the pizza and remove the parchment paper as it's not needed anymore as the pizza is partially cooked. But never had an issue with the parchment paper starting on fire or anything.

I did not have any luck with parchment paper on my gas grill setup. I don't know the temp but the paper outside around the pizza is toasted and too fragile to easily remove in under a minute. Works great in the house oven at 475. Prefer parchment to corn meal as you don't need to sweep the bottom of the pizza.

I had some slightly coarse corn meal that worked great, but the last box was finer and did work so well. Seems to absorb moisture if I don't work fast enough. I have also tried blitzing polenta to a get a coarse flour but then I get a few hard nuggets of corn that stick to the bottom. I have some semolina flour now and will give that a try. Also got 5min grits to use for brewing that looks like it might work OK.

I was seriously looking into building a pizza oven, but it was impractical. Instead I purchased a Kamado Joe with the Dough-Jo attachment. I can easily maintain 500-600 deg F using lump charcoal. Charcoal briquetts do not get hot enough.

Does anyone have the Kettle Pizza attachement for the kettle grills? I'm strongly leaning towards the Gozney Roccbox since I haven't seen any comparable results so far from the Kettle Pizza.

Does anyone have the Kettle Pizza attachement for the kettle grills? I'm strongly leaning towards the Gozney Roccbox since I haven't seen any comparable results so far from the Kettle Pizza.

I do. I want to like it, but I can't get good pizza off it. :no:

I think I need a better/thicker stone or steel. It can literally get up to 850° or higher. Which is probably part of my problem . . .

I do. I want to like it, but I can't get good pizza off it. :no:

I think I need a better/thicker stone or steel. It can literally get up to 850° or higher. Which is probably part of my problem . . .
Likewise. I want to like it, but it has always been hit-and-miss. Hard to maintain temperature, from instantly scorching to not even hotter than my kitchen oven. I still use it, I've improved my abilities, using a mix of charcoal and wood chips. But I still dream of a dedicated pizza oven. Which, of course, will only come after major upgrades to my brewing kit...

Likewise. I want to like it, but it has always been hit-and-miss. Hard to maintain temperature, from instantly scorching to not even hotter than my kitchen oven. I still use it, I've improved my abilities, using a mix of charcoal and wood chips. But I still dream of a dedicated pizza oven. Which, of course, will only come after major upgrades to my brewing kit...

I'm determined to figure mine out. I think a thicker stone (or steel). Favor the front with the stone and teh coals to the back. And maybe don't light the whole chimney!

Back