The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow ChefRex, that's a thing of beauty! But what - NO MEAT??? LOL!
I used oyster mushrooms, there're plenty meaty and I used a lot of them but from your other post in WDICTW I see you're into your meats;)

What that a great idea for a pizza i never thought about that before

More sugar for your yeast, I'll often pour off the leftover wort from the bottom of the mash tun for bread baking, waste not want not, frugal bastard that I am:D

Couple pies for the wife and I

Hers: vegan cheese and sundried tomatoes

Mine: pepperoni mushroom

Homemade sauce with homegrown tomatoes, onion and peppers

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412475788.196999.jpg

No issues growing them. I bought the kit at Whole Foods for $12. SORT of followed the instructions that came with it but if you're interested in doing this, I highly recommend watching some of the YouTube videos posted by Jimm under the name 100thmonkeymushrooms - he's a great teacher and has some great videos! We mostly did what he suggested.

We've already had two flushes from that kit and are getting ready to make it go another time. We also bought a shiitake kit off eBay and had a pretty good flush of those too - again, following Jimm's instructions. That one is also gonna go for another flush here soon!

As for the price, I probably could've bought that many oyster mushrooms for $12 but you can regrow the kit several times and then you can propagate it outdoors if you want - same with the shiitakes.

But mostly it was at least $12 worth of FUN doing it and watching them grow, then harvesting and sauteing them with some onions and having them atop a fat grilled ribeye steak!

No issues growing them. I bought the kit at Whole Foods for $12. SORT of followed the instructions that came with it but if you're interested in doing this, I highly recommend watching some of the YouTube videos posted by Jimm under the name 100thmonkeymushrooms - he's a great teacher and has some great videos! We mostly did what he suggested.

We've already had two flushes from that kit and are getting ready to make it go another time. We also bought a shiitake kit off eBay and had a pretty good flush of those too - again, following Jimm's instructions. That one is also gonna go for another flush here soon!

As for the price, I probably could've bought that many oyster mushrooms for $12 but you can regrow the kit several times and then you can propagate it outdoors if you want - same with the shiitakes.

But mostly it was at least $12 worth of FUN doing it and watching them grow, then harvesting and sauteing them with some onions and having them atop a fat grilled ribeye steak!
Thanks for the information, more time on youtube coming up.
Are you able to start during the fall/ winter?

God, I almost cried...... :tank:

Can I get your dough recipe?

A variation of my basic sourdough recipe, feed the starter the night before.
By weight, one part starter, two parts liquid,this time stout wort, a glug of olive oil and an egg, and three parts flour, bread flour, white whole wheat and a little rye, mix let sit twenty or so minutes and add 1 or 2 % of the flour's weight in salt then kneed.
It will be wet and sticky but that's how I like it, sprinkle a little flour on it to make it easier to handle.
Keep the proportions 1,2,3 and you can't forget.
You have a sourdough culture?

I don't but I want one.

Today I started learning how to use my WFO.

Starting the fire.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412556071.363360.jpg

I needed a metal turning peel but it's Sunday and no where to buy one, so I made one. Turned out pretty good.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412556139.984241.jpg

Picked a bunch of veggies from the dwindling garden. Time for fire roasted goodness.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412556451.216767.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412556475.260075.jpg

The dome burned off to white long after they cheap arse thermometer pegged at 700*F. I need to buy an infrared thermometer. But I need to pay my tuition for this semester first. A problem with getting to be an old fart is that your employer is in no hurry to pay for con/Ed.

Well, made dough yesterday, stopped in at whole foods to pick up a pint and figure out the toppings I wanted.. Grabbed a Deschutes fresh squeezed and proceeded to make bad life choices. Same ingredients on both, but the first is a can of san marzanos reduced down in a pot with fresh oregano, thyme, and Genovese basil from the garden with a clove of garlic and salt, the second pie is a garlic cream/gravy base with fresh parsley from the garden.

Ingredients: Applewood smoked bacon, "Tuscan" style ground pork, and chicken (both cooked in the bacon fat), Cremini mushrooms, green onions and freshly grated whole milk mozzarella (I love this stuff!).

DG_HmJYrXdK3brn1v-_AJXo9lw3i97zXvIACErHa2Myv=w920-h612-no

DSC_0872.JPG

Second Pie:

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

Thanks for the information, more time on youtube coming up.
Are you able to start during the fall/ winter?

We're actually waiting another week or so to restart ours because it's been uncharacteristically HOT here - most days in the 80s and a few in the 90s, with inside temps northward of 74* - no AC here at the coast, we so seldom need it.

But yes, growing them indoors in the fall/winter should work just fine. They like light, but not direct sun, and temps in the 60s to low 70s if growing indoors.

Today in Ukiah it was 102 degrees, I should have just put some loaves outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Made dough on thursday... pizza! First of two pies, homemade san marzano sauce with lemon & genovese basil, fresh thyme and oregano, garlic, salt and 1 teaspoon crushed red chili from the indian grocery.. under the cheese: ground pork with fennel and thyme, 1/2 lbs bacon, cremini mushrooms caramelized in bacon fat, and green onions. Whole milk mozarella and topped with pepperoni.

DSC_0890.JPG

DSC_0892.JPG

Ok, I need your help guys / gals! So I'm hosting a pizza get-together mid-late next month and I plan on making 2-3 pizzas, which is no big deal. However, one of my buddies wives is lactose intolerant & does not eat beef (again, the latter isn't that big of a deal). Does anyone have any good recipes for pizza without cheese?!? I know this shouldn't be that big of a deal, but for some reason doing a pie without cheese is stressing me out. A couple of Ideas I've got:

Make a pie with a thin tomato sauce base, then load it up with a ton of toppings and bake, when the crust is done, remove and add freshly made guacamole and alfalfa sprouts. My second idea is some sort of a BBQ pizza with a slightly sweet sauce, loaded with toppings and nothing else. I'm trying to avoid using vegan cheese because I'm ignorant :)

Actually, this is a dilemna I've often spent too much time thinking about, for instances when i want pizza but have no cheese on hand!

My wife will occasionally want a Greek style cheese-less pizza.

Basil pesto for a sauce, then toppings like peppers, onions, olives, and tomato go on top. Regular pizza - cheese = cheeseless pizza :p

Tried a new recipe for my roasted garlic white sauce.. Made one of my go to pizzas even better!

Roasted garlic white sauce, 4 mushroom, sausage, Caramelized onions topped with Brie, provolone, and mozzarella.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413825446.628646.jpg

And another staple,
Red sauce with Sausage, roasted red peppers, Caramelized onions, and topped with mozzarella, provolone, and smoked Gouda.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413825575.773952.jpg

Heh, totally didn't register that the parm in pesto = cheese

Although I think most people with a lactose intolerance do better with hard cheeses.

Yes you need to identify how lactose intolerant she is. Even very lactose intolerant people can usually safely consume a small amount of parmesan without peeing out of their butts. You can make an awesome cheeseless pizza though. Some roasted potato slices, braised leeks and herbs. Or roasted garlic cloves and green olives with top notch olive oil. Or a spicy tomato sauce with roasted peppers and corn, and red onions. See how this works? Damn I'm hungry now. And if she just cannot do cheese, a "pesto" with plenty of nuts and salt is probably as satisfying as it gets for a sauce.

Just another pepperoni from me, but I just went with what I had in the house. Just still really impressed that I made this with what I learned from this thread alone. Now if I could find a way to get the pizza on my stone without the tin foil or parchment paper. Any body have any tips? I flour the table and then shape the dough but it just seems too tacky to get onto the stone without an oven disaster.

pizza.jpg

Just another pepperoni from me, but I just went with what I had in the house. Just still really impressed that I made this with what I learned from this thread alone. Now if I could find a way to get the pizza on my stone without the tin foil or parchment paper. Any body have any tips? I flour the table and then shape the dough but it just seems too tacky to get onto the stone without an oven disaster.

So you form the pizza on a piece of tin foil or parchment paper and then slide it off onto the stone? Ideally you would want something flat that you can form the pizza on and slide the whole thing off and on to the hot stone. Could you try using a flat cookie sheet or something similar? Use flour or corn meal underneath so it can slide off. Additionally you can pick up the edges of the crust and blow air underneath so it will slide.

Totally agree with the guys above. I use a pizza peel (but if you don't have one, perhaps turn a cookie tray upside down?) that is usually a bit too small for my pies, so the crust usually hangs over the edge just a little bit, but backing up... before i build my pie I flour the bottom of it and place a hefty dose of cornmeal on the peel, then the dough goes on top. The overhang is actually really nice, because in times when the pizza doesnt want to slide, I can place an edge on the stone and it'll stick, then i just pull the peel out from under it. Sometimes it requires a shove, but I try to avoid that as much as possible!

Ya I partially shape the dough and then transfer to tin foil where I finish it from there. Then the whole thing goes onto the stone. I assume that's also part of the reason the middle of the pie doesn't get quite as crisp as i'd like it. Next time i'll lay down corn meal on a thin cookie sheet and finish it up on the sheet, then slide it right onto the stone...see how that works. Thanks guys!

On Tuesday I made a bunch of dough using a sourdough starter that I've been growing for a month or so.
1 kilo KABF
620 gr water
3 gr salt
25 gr 100% starter.

Long slow bulk ferment at 55 degrees. Portioned it at 250 gr and balled it up this morning and left it on the counter. The dough smells incredible. (You know, incredible for something that smells sour.)

Pizza party tonight. Started the fire in the oven around noon.

I've got a fire burning right now myself. My BIL and his wife will be here shortly. I made dough yesterday with my Italian sourdough starter. I'll try to get some pics, but my hearts not really in it today. At this moment, my youngest is on her way back to rehab for like the 6th time. ****ing junkies!:mad: Meanwhile, I get to be the fulltime babysitter for her 5 month old.
Sometimes it's good to be me, but those times are getting fewer and farther between.

Sorry, rant over.

I've got a fire burning right now myself. My BIL and his wife will be here shortly. I made dough yesterday with my Italian sourdough starter. I'll try to get some pics, but my hearts not really in it today. At this moment, my youngest is on her way back to rehab for like the 6th time. ****ing junkies!:mad: Meanwhile, I get to be the fulltime babysitter for her 5 month old.
Sometimes it's good to be me, but those times are getting fewer and farther between.

Sorry, rant over.

Best wishes to her to get her head on straight, can't imagine what's it 's like for you.

I've found flour/cornmeal to be too messy...but that was before my dough was worth a damn.

For now, I stick with spraying some parchment paper, form the dough and finish assembling the pizza, and use a peel to put the pizza (paper and all) on the stone. After about 5 minutes the bottom crust is cooked enough to slide the paper out from underneath it. Use the peel to take it out and you're golden (and so is the crust).

Can't remember who, but someone suggested that method several months ago on this thread. Been using it ever since :mug:

On Tuesday I made a bunch of dough using a sourdough starter that I've been growing for a month or so.
1 kilo KABF
620 gr water
3 gr salt
25 gr 100% starter.

Long slow bulk ferment at 55 degrees. Portioned it at 250 gr and balled it up this morning and left it on the counter. The dough smells incredible. (You know, incredible for something that smells sour.)

Pizza party tonight. Started the fire in the oven around noon.

62% hydration... Amateur. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've found flour/cornmeal to be too messy...but that was before my dough was worth a damn.

For now, I stick with spraying some parchment paper, form the dough and finish assembling the pizza, and use a peel to put the pizza (paper and all) on the stone. After about 5 minutes the bottom crust is cooked enough to slide the paper out from underneath it. Use the peel to take it out and you're golden (and so is the crust).

Can't remember who, but someone suggested that method several months ago on this thread. Been using it ever since :mug:

I tried the parchment paper thing once and hated it. Probably because I used wax paper instead of parchment paper. :drunk: that worked out good in a 550* oven. :eek:

1 kilo KABF
620 gr water
3 gr salt
25 gr 100% starter.

Only 3g salt for all that flour? Standard for just about any savory bread is about 2% by bakers percentages.

I find 64-65% hydration with that flour makes a better pie too. You can go higher, and it gets even better, but it became very hard to handle.

Latest posts

Back