The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in great shape, but all of the pizza was making me grow a belly.....well.....that and the homebrew. Guess which one got cut ;)

Round is a shape.
A great shape.
A great shape for a shaved ape.
Grapes are round and grapes are a great grape shape.
Apes grope grapes.
Great. Round. Shape.

There you go. Eat more pizza.

passedpawn said:
Round is a shape. A great shape. A great shape for a shaved ape. Grapes are round and grapes are a great grape shape. Apes grope grapes. Great. Round. Shape. There you go. Eat more pizza.
Well, I'm convinced. :drunk:

Dinner last night. Pesto w/ fresh tomatoes, mozz and parm. Came out pretty well. Crust stayed crispy even tho it came out a bit wet with the pesto and tomatoes.

image-110283011.jpg

Looks delish. Pesto pizza is one of my favorites. When I get back from my trip this week i'll have to get going on some grilled pizza. Thanks to you guys I'm now inspired.

Fresh mozzerella is what was wet.

Unfortunate, but if you want much cheese, fresh mozz is absolutely soggy.

cheezydemon3 said:
Fresh mozzerella is what was wet. Unfortunate, but if you want much cheese, fresh mozz is absolutely soggy.
Sometimes I'll take the slices (for firm-ish mozzarella) and put them between paper towels and put something heavy on top to dry them out a little. I hate soggy pizza, so I'm always looking for ways to get water out of the toppings.

Here is my first contribution to the thread. Been trying to perfect pizza now for a few months. Still fine tuning the crust.

Beer grain crust, fresh homemade canned pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, romano and provolone, salami, and olives. Good stuff. Next one I do will be on the pizza stone in the pellet smoker.

All of the other pizzas on here look great! May do it tonight for dinner!

image-1515983044.jpg

Sometimes I'll take the slices (for firm-ish mozzarella) and put them between paper towels and put something heavy on top to dry them out a little. I hate soggy pizza, so I'm always looking for ways to get water out of the toppings.

Agreed. Putting them on the very top will dry toppings out a little when baking, but not much.

For salami, pepperoni, and the like I microwave them between paper towels (for a few seconds) to render some of the grease.

Every calorie is sacred.

Melana said:
For salami, pepperoni, and the like I microwave them between paper towels (for a few seconds) to render some of the grease. Every calorie is sacred.
Probably helps to counteract the grease boat effect.

A few pies from this weekend.
1) Pesto, cheese, tomatos, sausage, red pepper, onions
2) Tomato sauce, cheese, sausage, red pepper, spinach, bacon, chipotle peppers, onions
3) Same as #2 minus chipotle peppers
4) Dat crust

IMG_20131006_193910_601.jpg

IMG_20131006_195525_215.jpg

IMG_20131006_201437_701.jpg

IMG_20131006_201513_551.jpg

MAde my first calzone tonight and it turned out pretty well. I only let the dough rise for about 30 minutes so I was surprised with my results :D Just a basic marinara, mozzarella, hamburger pepperoni, and then light oil and parm when its done

2013-10-08 19.07.17.jpg

2013-10-08 19.08.43.jpg

MAde my first calzone tonight and it turned out pretty well. I only let the dough rise for about 30 minutes so I was surprised with my results :D Just a basic marinara, mozzarella, hamburger pepperoni, and then light oil and parm when its done

Looking good, practice makes prefect and i'm far from.
I know Melana is sending a culture and just as in beer yeast brings a lot of the flavors in the breads , the more the better.
Melana, I know you put it out there, I would like your culture and i'll send you some of mine.
I'm interested in other strains people have been using, as said before mine is more then 10 years old so it is "the house yeast"

ChefRex said:
Looking good, practice makes prefect and i'm far from.
I know Melana is sending a culture and just as in beer yeast brings a lot of the flavors in the breads , the more the better.
Melana, I know you put it out there, I would like your culture and i'll send you some of mine.
I'm interested in other strains people have been using, as said before mine is more then 10 years old so it is "the house yeast"

Yes, I will work on it when I get back from looking at rusty car parts in Hershey this week.

If you're ever in Atlanta airport, terminal A, there is a varasano's pizza joint that's pretty darn good.
Imported buffalo mozzarella, nice dough with leoparding on the crust, imported salumi, etc.
TD

Just made a rustic Mediterranean pesto pizza with feta, parmesan, sun dried tomatoes, green olives, grilled artichoke hearts, fresh jalapeno,Greek lamb sausage and fresh basil and spinach. All on a garlic and herb crust.

Omg. Love the flavor combo

My wife has been asking for pizza for a couple of weeks now but other projects and commitments kept getting in the way.

On Friday I started a dough for baking on Saturday night but again things came up and it ended up maturing in the fridge until tonight (Monday). It sure was a good one.

The dough was a very wet 65% hydration with Antimo Caputo Pizzeria Flour. Mixed as suggested on the Verrazano site - 75% of the flour with all of the water mixed at slow speed for about 9 minutes, then allowed to rest for 30 minutes before adding the remaining flour (plus 2% sugar and 2% salt).

I've found that the dough is warm enough from mixing that I can put it into the refrigerator right away. It was punched down and briefly kneaded when doubled an hour or so later and again several times in the subsequent days.

Tonight was the baking. All veggies were quickly stir fried to remove excess water before building the pie. The dough was stretched and par baked a few minutes first.

Toppings are:
Red and Yellow Bell Peppers
Mushrooms
Onions (caramelized a bit in the stir frying)
Broccoli
Ham
Pepperoni
Three cheeses (cheap wally world Mozzarella and their "taco blend" of Cheddar and Monterey Jack)

My wife likes the crust at the edge to have some flavor beyond the basic dough so I spread some sauce out on the edge. That makes it harder to tell when the crust is browning though and this one could have baked just a bit longer.

The bottom is nice and crisp without burning.

I was well into my third slice when I remembered to take the side shot. There was substantial oven spring and not much of the gooey dough layer under the toppings. (I'm still working on that.) The slices were firm enough to hold with a very soft crumb, just right for my tastes.

The good folks at Fairport Brewing Company supplied a half growler of cider from BlackBird Cider Works (the new Farm Brewer license in NY allows them to sell products from other NY farm brewers) to round out the meal.

Long time lerker of this thread. Been dabbling in pizzas for a few years now, but finally got my camera out to take some pics. Made this dough a little wetter than usual, and when forming the cheese pie it snagged and ended oblong...oh well, still tasty!

Pepperoni
DSC03199.JPG

Cheese
DSC03201.JPG

Both
DSC03202.JPG

My fiancée and I make pizza almost every week. Generally we don't make our own crust dough (hangs head in shame) but we do get the frozen lump from a local farmer's market sort of place. Generally it's onion, mushroom, banana peppers and occasionally other veggies that look good. I have mostly given up on meat pizzas, too greasy.
I also like flavorful crust, so I brush it with garlic water. a dash of parmesan cheese and oregano on with the sauce, then the mozz cheese, then the veg. yum yum.

Long time lerker of this thread. Been dabbling in pizzas for a few years now, but finally got my camera out to take some pics. Made this dough a little wetter than usual, and when forming the cheese pie it snagged and ended oblong...oh well, still tasty!

Pepperoni
DSC03199.JPG

Cheese
DSC03201.JPG

Both
DSC03202.JPG

You've got the "circle pie technique" down to an art. I don't think I've ever made one as round as that pepperoni :mug:

Latest posts

Back