The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the dual steel method right? Looks good. I wonder if i am cooking long enough.

Yes dual steel here.... Well, one steel and one stone until I procure another steel. This was 5 minutes on stone and 2.5-3 minutes on steel in a 550F convection oven. Actually, I set my oven at 550F but it automatically adjusts the temp down 25F when in convection mode so it's technically baking at 525F.

Decided to try a 6$ aluminum mesh pizza screen and it was a huge improvement on my pie. Got nice air bubbles and a great thin crunchy layer on the bottom. I'll call it a win. Still has some dense spots but it's getting better. I think I may be overworking/over pressing the dough when I stretch it out onto the screen/stone

View attachment 1464755490897.jpg

View attachment 1464755502541.jpg

Decided to try a 6$ aluminum mesh pizza screen and it was a huge improvement on my pie. Got nice air bubbles and a great thin crunchy layer on the bottom. I'll call it a win. Still has some dense spots but it's getting better. I think I may be overworking/over pressing the dough when I stretch it out onto the screen/stone

Yes pressing is bad. Try to stretch using the weight of the dough to pull it thin.

Working on my preferments. Did a 18 hr. at 75%. Bulk fermented for 3 days then balled and let rise at room temp for 4 hours. Also used an aluminum screen my wife got at a friend's and family sale at a chefs wholesale. $1!
It stuck to the screen at the thin spot. Anyone know how to deal with that problem?
I basically stretch to the point of window pane and the sauce probably worked into the dough. I figure I will do parchment on screen. I like the screen because I can use it in the broiler. Parchment alone, not so much.

View attachment 1465173433916.jpg

View attachment 1465173443073.jpg

View attachment 1465173452912.jpg

Working on my preferments. Did a 18 hr. at 75%. Bulk fermented for 3 days then balled and let rise at room temp for 4 hours. Also used an aluminum screen my wife got at a friend's and family sale at a chefs wholesale. $1!
It stuck to the screen at the thin spot. Anyone know how to deal with that problem?
I basically stretch to the point of window pane and the sauce probably worked into the dough. I figure I will do parchment on screen. I like the screen because I can use it in the broiler. Parchment alone, not so much.

Looks very good! Careful with the parchment. It's only oven save to 450 F, though I am sure I have exposed it to higher temperatures than that.

chipotle BBQ chicken pizza w/carmelized onions and pineapple.
experimental - pesto, avocado, kale, blue cheese, green onion.
HB conan IPA

avopizza.jpg

bbqpizza.jpg

Fine lookin' pie!

Not to be a smartass or anything, but the way to deal with the crust sticking to the screen is to not use a screen. From the looks of things, you could start working with a "peel" and a baking stone/steel and launch the pizza onto the preheated stone/steel. Nice looking pies!!

TD

I've found that they work best if you first launch the pie onto a stone at least until it sets or is almost where you want it, then slip the screen underneath to prevent further browning. If you really want to do the whole bake on the screen, season it first like you would cast iron and hit it with some Pam just before you bake.

I like using a screen too. I hand toss my crust to a round and then drape it over the screen, then build the pizza on top. I find that when the pizza is done, I can just shake the screen and the pie will come loose. Give it a little twist while shaking if it gets stuck. If it's not easy to get off, leave it in the oven a little longer.

When taco Tuesday is on the same day you want pizza. Carnitas, cilantro lime rice (we'll see how this pans out)… black beans, onions, cilantro, and a salsa/sour cream base "sauce".

Edit: The pork was bone in braised in my HB blood orange IPA which added tons of citrus with limes, chipotle peppers, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper

View attachment 1465357929813.jpg

So I've started making pizza crusts myself, the latest eureka moment was finding that it really does make a difference to preheat the stone as hot as the oven can go.

I'm wondering, how soon after kneading the dough should I move it to the fridge? Should I let it raise a while at room temp or just chill it down?

After it sits in the fridge for a few days and I want to use it should I let it raise at room temp for an hour or so, or just shape it and go?

How often, at what point, should I punch it down?

When making "fridge dough", I mix/knead, ball and right into the fridge. You should never have to punch it down. If you do, you used to much yeast, IMO. I only use a t-spoon for four 16" pies. The dough will be easier to open if you let it warm up first but I don't think it's critical.

So decided to end the mystery and put Steel on grill. Lucky I didn't blow the grill up because all the drippings of past caught on fire! Needless to say after getting that under control the steel was super hot. I think hotter than the oven and quicker. I used one of those weird Mamma Mia crust cuz that's all I had and it close to burnt the bottom before it melted the cheese. The important thing was the heat wasn't inside the house and I think it was an upgrade anyways.

View attachment 1465430574914.jpg

View attachment 1465430585322.jpg

When taco Tuesday is on the same day you want pizza. Carnitas, cilantro lime rice (we'll see how this pans out)… black beans, onions, cilantro, and a salsa/sour cream base "sauce".

Edit: The pork was bone in braised in my HB blood orange IPA which added tons of citrus with limes, chipotle peppers, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper

That sounds awesome. Consider yourself pilfered my good man! Gotta try that myself. I love trying to bring beer to the plate whenever possible.

That sounds awesome. Consider yourself pilfered my good man! Gotta try that myself. I love trying to bring beer to the plate whenever possible.

Thats awesome man! Ya give it a go. I make carnitas all the time but Ive never made it with a blood orange IPA, which IMO added a ton from the orange and citrus characteristics of the citra and mosaic I had in the IPA.

Another thing with this pie, go light on the rice. Its more of a garnish for flavor and texture than a main component. I was worried with too much rice it would just become a starchy, carby mess

Nice pies Icebob!

What kind of setup are you baking them in (and follow-up questions how hot is it running and how long are you baking?)
What does the bottom of the pie look like?

I can see the Chile Oil sauce dripping off!! Making me hungry!

You inspired me to make my own mozz the last time I did pizza. Found a raw milk supply. Was really really good stuff! $10 per gallon only made a few small child-sized fist balls. WAY better than grocery store stuff.

TD

I cook them in a Blackstone patio oven, I usually launch at 800f... cooking time is about 2 minutes....

2016-06-09 18.56.42.jpg

Yep that's the inspiration for putting the steel on the grill. I can't tell you how hot it gets but it seems hot. And if you had a real Grill I bet it would work really well with a nice piece of filet as well. PS Overstock has good prices on Blackstones. I think the important thing is keeping the heat out of the kitchen in the summer!

Edit. ....second attempt on grill. It burned the crust in 90 seconds or so if I didnt spin it. Problem was top wasn't keeping up! Finished off in oven after first ruined pizza went to trash. It put a sear on the bottom that was unreal. But in future need to have broiler in oven ready to finish. Thoughts?

Yep that's the inspiration for putting the steel on the grill. I can't tell you how hot it gets but it seems hot. And if you had a real Grill I bet it would work really well with a nice piece of filet as well. PS Overstock has good prices on Blackstones. I think the important thing is keeping the heat out of the kitchen in the summer!

Edit. ....second attempt on grill. It burned the crust in 90 seconds or so if I didnt spin it. Problem was top wasn't keeping up! Finished off in oven after first ruined pizza went to trash. It put a sear on the bottom that was unreal. But in future need to have broiler in oven ready to finish. Thoughts?

I've been having that issue. Someone at work suggested just planting on a stone and then putting on the grill. I have no doubt that will solve the difference in cooking top vs bottom, but I doubt it will make the crust I want.

I think the best way would be to have it really hot on top and not as hot below. Not sure how to do this on a grill. It would also require careful handling to get the crust to cook evenly all around.

I think the best way would be to have it really hot on top and not as hot below. Not sure how to do this on a grill.

As I've mentioned before.... the answer is to put the stone on top of 3 or 4 soup cans. It gets the bottom off of the direct heat of the grill and gets the top up in the dome. Don't open it if you don't have to. Preheat the stone for at least 45 minutes.

Edited to add: You can see what I do back in post #1780

As I've mentioned before.... the answer is to put the stone on top of 3 or 4 soup cans. It gets the bottom off of the direct heat of the grill and gets the top up in the dome. Don't open it if you don't have to. Preheat the stone for at least 45 minutes.

Edited to add: You can see what I do back in post #1780

Interesting. Not sure how I missed this. I know I saw the pic, but didn't get the soup can thing. Worth trying! Your pie looks pretty good.

I've been having that issue. Someone at work suggested just planting on a stone and then putting on the grill. I have no doubt that will solve the difference in cooking top vs bottom, but I doubt it will make the crust I want.

I think the best way would be to have it really hot on top and not as hot below. Not sure how to do this on a grill. It would also require careful handling to get the crust to cook evenly all around.

I have a Kettlepizza for my Weber Kettle. I've read a lot about guys getting a second stone or even steel plate and putting above the pizza.

The soup can idea has merit though. :)

Like most of my good ideas, I pilfered it from the internet. It works pretty good. I've been doing it for the last couple years that way. I've done as many as 8 pizzas in one night.

I keep threatening to build a more permanent setup, but the 3 soup cans don't cost me anything and they last a year or so.

Pizza looks good on top of cans great idea. With the steel directly on the grill, I'm guessing as fast as the dough burned it was 7-800 degrees. The grill thermometer said 600 at the top. I wonder what would happen if I threw a steak on it. I want a little oven.

For anyone using a charcoal grill, I know cooks illustrated recently had an article about grilling pizza. They found that arranging the coals in a ring had better results with less hot spots and more even cooking. I know it may be sacrilegious but a nice little hood trick is using foil to deflect heat. Of course so is using shopping carts as bbq grills, so.....
Made a couple pies. From Evets- "most people use too much yeast", less than a half teaspoon for 4 1/4 cups flour. It rose fine and the flavor was great. Also, on the second pie, I listened to the dough doctor- thin sliced tomatoes and fresh herbs make the best "sauce". I dredged some tomato slices in evoo and sprinkled with oregano and basil from the garden to make a Margherita-ish pie.

View attachment 1465870869926.jpg

View attachment 1465870880694.jpg

View attachment 1465870901689.jpg

Back