The Future Of Commercial Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enzymes for brewing can be produced using bacteria in large reactors so I expect the cost isn't prohibitive...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Curious how to obtain the variable iterations of malts that combine to produce the many different beer styles. Without malting, roasting/kilning, etc., will there only be ‘one’ “beer”?
I wouldn't think that eliminating the need for malting means that you can't use different grains and/or roast and/or kiln.

They are only making a Kolsch with this process so not exactly pushing the boundaries.
I'd like to see how they get the 700ml of water saved per litre of beer produced.
I'm not too worried for our local maltster, especially as New Zealand can be a long way behind.

I'd like to see how they get the 700ml of water saved per litre of beer produced.
Seems plausible. I have no idea what a large scale malting operation looks like, but I think you need a couple of liters of water to malt a kg of grain at home and a kilo of grain is only going to make three or four liters of beer.

^Very informative article^, thanks for the link.

I have used an amylase blend a couple of times over the years to shave a few points off the FG of batches that quit a bit early, and then last year experimented with glucoamylase - where a seemingly minute amount dropped the FG of an orphaned gallon of my double imperial 1.107 stout from a respectable 1.023 to a boozy thin 1.007. :oops:

Not something I expect to repeat...

Cheers!

^Very informative article^, thanks for the link.

1.023 to a boozy thin 1.007. :oops:

Not something I expect to repeat...

Cheers!
Good for lighter fuel I suppose.
Some barley wine brewers ( commercial) use the glucoamylase a lot. I've only used it in a Brut IPA and a low carb hazy IPA that I had to back sweeten. Afterwards thought why did I need to do that except for the challenge it's basically only me drinking the beer.
I wonder whether cool cousin is spunding their kolsch or force carbing, would save a lot of CO2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takamine_Jōkichi
Takamine Jokichi discovered this (based on Koji) 140y ago and tried to revolutionize the distilling industry with malt free production. Maltster basically ran him out since he was a threat to their livelihood. He went on to purify adrenaline, though. That remains his major claim to fame (and benefit to humanity).

You can read about him in Adam Roger’s book : Proof. Or watch the YouTube video linked here (starting at about 32:00).

As far as malt free brewing, I think you could still have specialty malts present. They don’t really contribute fermentables, anyway.

I suppose someone could attempt a malt-free home brew by getting some raw barley and alpha-amylase. Both are readily available...

From a historical perspective, saccharification was conducted by chewing the grain, then spitting it out. No malting needed. The a-amylase in saliva would carry out the conversion. As breweries (like dogfishhead) try to emulate ancient brews, perhaps we'll get a "mash-ticated" beer in the future. I can imagine some snarky homebrewer entering this in a competition at least

From a historical perspective, saccharification was conducted by chewing the grain, then spitting it out. No malting needed. The a-amylase in saliva would carry out the conversion. As breweries (like dogfishhead) try to emulate ancient brews, perhaps we'll get a "mash-ticated" beer in the future. I can imagine some snarky homebrewer entering this in a competition at least
I wonder if DFH did that manner of propagation for their Midas Touch Historical beer 😉?

Makes me think about making beer with koji, like rice wine Imbollinger.
I have no experience with Koji. I'm the heart of bourbon country. The focus tends to be on bourbon, the beer, then wine. However, I do have a local sake brewery that works with the homebrew club occasionally. Might be worth exploring.

Any idea what flavor profile is imparted by Koji?

There's plenty Americans including those from the USA here already. Few more will be fine.
Although I'm an expat Brit.
I tied one on with an RAF Vulcan crew one night on a joint exercise in England. Also with three very smart Kiwi naval officers in the Pacific. Actually, I tried to keep pace with the New Zealanders but they left me in the dust.

Mostly ‘true’ story, but that was in my younger years. Part of it is probably still classified. 😉

Back