The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have some beers at Strange brew, as long as the beer is good I’m good to go. It is just a horrible the hoops some places make brewers go through. There’s one township near me that has become notorious adding on to what the state and feds require. One of our HBC members has been working on opening for 3 years now. He’s likely made some mistakes along the way, but now the town wants him to pave a dead end St! Dude finally got a lawyer.

The ***** of it was the State won't even start doing their part until the Feds have given their approval, and the Feds won't approve anything until the Town has its say. And it sure seemed to me that Marlboro was determined to slow-walk everything in the hope it would go away...

Cheers!

They have been glorious, actually. We've been trying to spend as much time outside as possible to enjoy it. Took a nice drive up to our place in Franconia NH yesterday, came back this morning and met up with our oldest, his family, his in-laws, and a SIL and her husband, at Davio's steakhouse down town for a swell lunch and a walk around the Public Garden.

Friday afternoon they are all heading up to the NH house for the weekend, hence our "get the place ready" trip yesterday. At some point Friday it's gonna rain like heck but the rest of the weekend looks great...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info about tackle box, that wasn’t exactly clear on their website. I’m stopping in RI on the way up to visit a friend and contemplating a stop @ the Jack’s Abbey beer hall. Sure I could just pick some up at a packy but it’s not the same!
I pinged a buddy that lives in the same town as Jack Abbey. They just re did their taproom. It was good before and he said they did a good job on the remodel. They use to have a separate "Funk" area beers called Springdale and taproom. They stopped that offshoot sadly. There's also Exhibit A just down the street.

eeep!

1691501752922.png

No twisters but it has been raining elephants and rhinos here all day. Am visiting ortho surgeon at MGH and we had to wade most of the way into Boston...

You inlanders seem to get all the best storms, and certainly lots more rain. I suppose if we get clocked by a Cat 1 to 3 storm, or one of those winter maritime blizzards we sometimes get, it might make up for the difference, but alas, they are far and few between.

You inlanders seem to get all the best storms, and certainly lots more rain. I suppose if we get clocked by a Cat 1 to 3 storm, or one of those winter maritime blizzards we sometimes get, it might make up for the difference, but alas, they are far and few between.
Looks like rain out there now...
1691588419785.png

Alas, wrong island. Not that I would want to live on that sand spit, it is even more of a mess than this place.

When did we turn into the Dysfunctional Weather Channel?
I admit to participating, and while admittedly boring, weather talk is not any more vapid than the sports team talk that used to be more common here. They are very similar in their lack of depth. The weather topic at least relates at least to something that most experience, unless of course they are inside watching sports on TV.

However, if one would place blame, 'tripper and balrog are mostly the ones posting weather maps & isht, ...but got to give them credit for keeping the post going.

I'll now pledge to refrain from posting about weather here unless it is interesting and destructive, at least for a while.

Local news; The fisherman who's body was recovered from his boat going round and round after he had a medical emergency off state beach and died was a really good guy. One of the original Hazards of Dukes county.

I did have some beers at Strange brew, as long as the beer is good I’m good to go. It is just a horrible the hoops some places make brewers go through. There’s one township near me that has become notorious adding on to what the state and feds require. One of our HBC members has been working on opening for 3 years now. He’s likely made some mistakes along the way, but now the town wants him to pave a dead end St! Dude finally got a lawyer.
I was in there talking to Brian before they closed - I'd been a HB shop customer for many years before he started the brewery - though he'd had that in the back of his mind for a long time too.
I would usually grab a beer when |I was in there for ingredients, but didn't normally make a special trip. The biggest issue is that there was another brewery opening in ||Colorado, |I think, using the Strange |Brew name,. though he had it trademarked already for a brewery. He had to get lawyers involved, here and in Colorado, and basically, he had to get going on the brewery before he really wanted to, to avoid the trademark sundowing. All that ate into the stock in the homebrew side, to the point that at least for me, it was maybe 50/50 if I would find the ingredients I needed for that brew - grains, hops and yeast. From there it was the vicious circle down.

Happy to comply. New topic: metal bulkhead/hatchway doors - best way to remove peeling paint and repaint if you don't own a sandblaster.
Go.

Good question - I have a 40 year old bulkhead up north that needs a paint job, and the paint looks like it was baked on. I'm thinking it's going to need some sanding - maybe use an angle grinder and flap disks - to clean it up before priming and painting...

Cheers!

Happy to comply. New topic: metal bulkhead/hatchway doors - best way to remove peeling paint and repaint if you don't own a sandblaster.
Go.
Okay wrong answer only. Liberally apply Manhattan so-called chowdah until paint dissolves. Toss unused red soup in the trash when finishing.

Visiting the fam down South for a week. Bulkhead door project on hold as I try to navigate the stormy monster infested waters of differing world view conversations and try to kindly suggest freshening up a mostly processed food diet. I may have taken the first step too boldly by bringing the Costco Sweet Kale Salad mix. Ah, family.

If you treat kale like collard greens and steam/saute on some bacon fat, along with the bacon, it's pretty edible. Add some garlic if you want. If you're a vegetarianish, or don't have any bacon, a good gob of butter can get you most of the way there, but in that case the garlic is not as optional, but that is just my opinion.

Kale salad, as in raw, yeah I'd have to be pretty hungry.

it's a little kale with shredded brussels sprouts and broccoli, pistachios craisins and sweet poppy seed dressing

it is divine

but yeah, better with bacon, as is life

Fret not oh balrog. Kale is not so bad, but perhaps one could admit it is a little oversold. Lot of other good greens out there, some are better cooked, but of course that is a personal decision. Around here kale is often consumed in a hearty soup w potatoes and linqucia.

Hope 'tripper has a barf bag by his fancy computer, but at least he did not barf in his mouth again. (On a side note, I think one of 'tripper's posts introduced me to that concept).

On the bulkhead paint question, if one has one of those old Bilcos that were left in primer, and it has a rust patina; I'd roll and brush finish w Rustolium rusty metal primer and cover with rustolium oil based top cote in available color of your choice. OK to prep with sander and grinder, but I'd just pressure wash and then run a good putty knife over any flaking paint, rust nodules. I don't see the point, most of the time, in trying to make stuff last more than ten years longer than I'm likely too.

I still put copper antisieze on most bolts while mechanicing on my old machines. Got to give the future generation a chance, on the off chance they might want any old stuff to run again.

Have a good week, to anyone who has bothered to read this...[;

thanks for the advice; and my fav green is spinach. Kale is best is soup with sausage. And sausage is best in a soup of tomato, ricotta, parm and mozarella cheese and lasagna noodles. :)

with a beer

Thank you Massachusetts tax payers. Bridge down the street from me had to be immediately closed due to structural issues a year ago. Huge one piece cement slabs and brook diversion. $3.5m. I don't know. It's been a pita with it out but it's only use was to backroad from downtown traffic. You'll also notice full throttle work crews. Must be monday. Can't wait til the beavers move back and take care of business
PXL_20230814_194123544.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Massachusetts tax payers. Bridge down the street from me had to be immediately closed due to structural issues a year ago. Huge one piece cement slabs and brook diversion. $3.5m. I don't know. It's been a pita with it out but it's only use was to backroad from downtown traffic. You'll also notice full throttle work crews. Must be monday. Can't wait til the beavers move back and take care of business View attachment 827125
good pics of the damage to the corrugated underside here Beaver Brook Bridge Project | Westford, MA

I’m originally from Littleton (hi neighbor)….

Back