The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was gonna make a crack about the crazy thing you New Englanders come up with for fun, but where I grew up there were greased pig catching contests so I gotta keep my mouth shut.

Saturday I had to drive 495 down to Milford and back, and on the way back noticed nearly every car was from "OuttaState".
Gotta believe they were all heading north on vacation - on the wrong week to be on "Summer" vacation in New England...

1687819387829.png

I will make note not to be on the interstate next weekend when all those people are returning to their OuttaState abodes :oops:

Cheers!

1930 Gloucester; where times were tough, men were hard, and poles got greased.
Without looking into it, I'd guess it might be related to the Gloucester fishing schooner fleet still going back then. Cool looking, tough boats, hard & dangerous work, some were even sunk by German U boats in WW1 & 2.

I considered buying a smaller and newer one, (only 50ft & built in the '30's) but did not due to good advice.

I'm sure if I had got her, she would have sunk by now, if I recall, she went down in the sound about 5 years after was for sale. My life would have been more interesting, no doubt, looking back, it might have been worth it and its outcome w me might have not been the same. But $10K was a lot of money back in the mid eighties.

Maybe, but $10k could get a modest building lot around here back then, now it would be 1/3 mil. And 10k won't even replace one of my commercial lawn mowers (why I was replacing hydraulic pump yesterday).

Because nobody asked, I found an interesting non-perlick tap installation for cold water dispensing in Bend OR, at the Deschutes pub.
IMG_2718.jpeg

Been hanging in Orleans right on Pleasant Bay since Friday, marveling at the repeating deluge of rainfall not that far west while enjoying sun and heat. Watching radar tracks to see if we need to park the boat vs getting on it with "on it" winning daily.

And thank goodness for that! We have an almost 4 and almost 2 grands here that would lose their poopy if they were cooped up watching rain! Yikes!

I crossed paths with a pro guide at a ramp this afternoon and he said they are getting into stripers at Monomoy in epic numbers. Considering all the freakin' gray seals we came across putting around out there I was surprised...

Cheers!

Yup, the back edge of a big yellow and orange cell was still raining hard on our driveway when we pulled it. Quickly put the prop-up pole inside the boat cover to make it into a Sunbrella Teepee to keep the rain from pooling then went inside to wait it out. An hour later the sky was blue and the cover was already drying out...

Cheers!

Bunch of choppers flying around here the last hour caught my attention, checked the news feed and apparently a Cessna with 3 people on board went down in the woods about a quarter mile from us, beyond the southwest end of the main runway at Minuteman airport. Don't know if they were landing, taking off, or what, but all three of them got airlifted to hospitals, status not given yet. Woof...

[edit] All three are in UMass Worcester hospital, all expected to survive. Still not clear if this was a botched take-off or landing, but I suspect "failure to fly", so a take-off issue...

[edit] Nailed it...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07...s-after-plane-crashes-between-two-homes-stow/

Last edited:
Hey guy, long time. I've been remiss in checking in here, I've been juggling like crazy after the practice I worked for closed abruptly. Abruptly as in, "The affiliation partnership agreement fell through, we're closing at the end of the day."
Got a new gig immediately but trying to recreate all of my people's records has been a time consuming challenge (which explains being up at 4:30)

Things should be back to 'normal' soon, so I can have a life again. So to that end, who wants a beer?

It’s pretty nasty, this one. Lotta wind (65mph gusts). First strike passed me and second one looks to be teeing up just south of me.

WCVB was voicing "overnight power outages" for the Greater Woostah Area.
It's raining steadily here now but I'm hoping we're north of the orange stuff...

Please can I have a storm here tonight. I feel left out and dry (except for the beer). Some really old guys around here (who are no doubt dead by now)(due to age), told stories about how the really good rain and lightning storms happened a lot less frequently since they dug that Cape Cod Canal.

Makes sense from an induction standpoint, seems to me anyway. ;]

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/standard/KBOX_loop.gif

We've been enjoying yet another afternoon/evening of weather rock and roll. Had some biblical level rain for almost an hour from 5 to 6 from that band in your gif. It's chilled out here since then - literally dropped from 90° down to 70°F now. I suspect it's gonna miss you to the north...

Cheers!

Weather woes abound… could use a little more rain here, but at least we’ve been getting enough to revive the green stuff that gets mowed. My hops are doing okay so far as well. I’m back to attending the convention in Marlborough and will plan to get away a little to check out a couple breweries or revisit some I’ve been to in the past. Anyone have an opinion about flying dreams? Is Tackle box the same people that had strange brew?

The Tackle Box is indeed in the last location that Strange Brew occupied, but the guy that got the pub up and running is not Brian. Not sure what Brian's been doing since he closed down the store, haven't been over there in a couple of years now.

As for Flying Dreams I need to check that place out. They have an eclectic looking beer list...

Cheers!

Thanks for the info about tackle box, that wasn’t exactly clear on their website. I’m stopping in RI on the way up to visit a friend and contemplating a stop @ the Jack’s Abbey beer hall. Sure I could just pick some up at a packy but it’s not the same!

Thanks for the info about tackle box, that wasn’t exactly clear on their website. I’m stopping in RI on the way up to visit a friend and contemplating a stop @ the Jack’s Abbey beer hall. Sure I could just pick some up at a packy but it’s not the same!
They also often have things you cannot find at the packy.

The Tackle Box story certainly had a sad start. Brian had decided he needed to become a brew pub because the retail store revenue was plummeting along with the home brewing population. But the town of Marlboro was against the idea and dragged Brian for a good two years, stalling on issuing permits and putting up all kinds of requirements that cost a lot of time and money to implement, before he was able to finally open his brewery space. He had a couple of beers on tap to start and eventually iirc he had 6 or so taps running.

Along the way Brian had decided to lease out the space that became The Tackle Box to another brewer (that would be Adam) which made for a curious paradigm. Adam put a lot of time and $$ into his space going through the same hoops as Brian had to get permits, etc. But at some point I believe Brian had to close down as the financials were not working, which put Adam in a pickle as the building he was in was about to lose its tenant. I suspect lawyers got involved the rest of the way...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back