The dangers of unsecured high-pressure gas cylinders.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy ****! Now why did the guy not back his car up? He got out instead? Obviously I'd piss myself if I were him, but I wonder. I cannot believe how far those cylinders just kept flying. Even the cars on the other side were flipping a u-turn and rolling back to a safer distance.

Ummmmmmmmmm...awesome vid that has NOTHING to do with Co2.

Your CO2 tank would behave in a similar manner to those flying cylinders if you broke the valve off. I'm certain they would explode (with no flame) if in a vehicle fire as well.

I know I've said this like 100 times on the forum but I'll say it again anyway. After 10 years in the oilfields, (mainly working around natural gas), I am SCARED to death of pressure!! I will spare everyone my war stories. I give it the respect it commands, even if it isn't combustible.

I always secure my propane cylinders when transporting them.

Your CO2 tank would behave in a similar manner to those flying cylinders if you broke the valve off. I'm certain they would explode (with no flame) if in a vehicle fire as well.

You bet your sweet ass they would, a valve flying off with 750 lbs of pressure behind it is pretty DAMN dangerous!!

I don't think they would explode. The tanks have safety release valves that would vent the CO2 out. If anything, they would help extinguish the flames.

Those two cylinders flying around at the end of the clip was pretty wild.

I was NOT doubting the respect due C02.

This would is an epic "LOOK AT THIS!!!!!" thread. The lesson, though valid, is lost in the pyrotechnics.

Skip ahead to about 1:35.

Last edited by a moderator:
In high school shop class the instructor pulled on the gas/acetylene torch hoses a bit too much. ...and whamo we have lift off! That thing spun around like a top on steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back