The Danby DCR412 works great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a temperature issue - i got this fridge for free, and I think I know why. Even set to the warmest setting, the compressor runs continuously. It cools the fridge down to -10 deg C or so. Looks like I may need a new temp controller to get it up and running..

I set mine to about 1/4th of a turn or maybe a little less. Seems to be keeping the beer nice and cool and not freezing it like I did before heh.

Not sure if it is kickin on or off all the time tho.

I'm having a temperature issue - i got this fridge for free, and I think I know why. Even set to the warmest setting, the compressor runs continuously. It cools the fridge down to -10 deg C or so. Looks like I may need a new temp controller to get it up and running..

You can try adjusting the internal thermostat to adjust the temperature range of your mini-fridge. Check this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-set-internal-chest-freezer-thermostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

I'm in the process of trying to do this with a really old mini-fridge (not this Danby). My set screw is definitely altering the temperatures in the mini-fridge but I'm trying to get to lagering temps so ~40 to 60 degrees.

I just bought a used Danby DCR412BLS on craigslist for $65 bucks. Used my 1-wire temp logging setup to check if it can hold temp. Looks good so far.

Ball-lock kegs on the way. I'll post pics of the fridge mod on here when I get to it.

Oh and hello all! First post. On my second brew and looking forward to much more!

I bent back the freezer section. Created this scary looking double crack in the pipe. Can't tell if it's a busted pipe or just the paint. Seems like the paint. I put soapy water on it and didn't see anything before and after turning on the fridge. Also the fridge got cold enough to freeze over the cracks you see below. It's at about 40F.

I'll let it run overnight and see how it is tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Also I did a writeup on my progress so far. Going to keep updating as I go. Lots of pictures.
http://ch.illmachine.com/2012/04/modifying-danby-dcr412bls-for-homebrew-ball-lock-kegs/

20120412_203045.jpg

Good news! It seems to be working! I've had it running for two days now and it's keeping cold. Actually it's a little too cold as it froze the drink I threw in there (iced tea). Looks like I'll need to reattach the temp probe to the freezer section as it keeps on thinking it's too warm and then freezes everything.

Do you guys think it would keep cold after 2 days if there was a leak?

Ah phredrixxx looks like you have a BLS version too as the temp controller is on the right side and horizontal. Good to see the kegs fit in there with the controller in the original position

Yeah I agree that we'll have to razor back the railings. Doesn't seem like we'll have as much room as Bernie Brewer after cutting back railing. He has a different DCR412 than us though.

Did you put your CO2 outside the fridge? If so where did you drill the hole? Perhaps a photo? Thanks!

By chance are you the Diversity Brewing Company on FB? I saw The Kegerator Build photo gallery when I was doing research on the DCR412BLS and the floor looks the same.

If so then I see you left the CO2 inside the fridge. How's it function with the freezer tray up to it. Any issues to talk about? Not regulating properly?

Did you put your CO2 outside the fridge? If so where did you drill the hole? Perhaps a photo? Thanks!

I put mine outside. When I looked at the compressor hump from the back outside, there was already a circular spot of missing metal, so i put my hole there.

here is my ASCII side profile (x marks the spot):

Code:
              |
   _________x_|
  |
  |
  |

Ah ok-- so we're looking at a side profile of the compressor hump? Got it. Also do you have a DCR412BLS model?

Ah ok-- so we're looking at a side profile of the compressor hump? Got it. Also do you have a DCR412BLS model?

that's what's ticked off on the sticker on the back anyway:mug:

it is a side profile of the compressor hump, yeah. the hole is directly above the left side of the compressor itself. here's a picture from the back outside, pretty bad quality, but hopefully it shows what i mean:
IMG_0411.jpg

Thanks CorneliusAlphonse for the pic. It helped me identify the plastic 'hole' you were talking about. It's right above the compressor. Does the heat from the compressor mess with your CO2 line?

Also did you ever figure out the temperature issues you were having? Mine is stuck at 32-34 at it's hottest setting. :(

I think I've identified the factory adjustment screw on the DCR412BLS. It's a little hard to get to but I just drilled a hole in the plastic casing. I've made my adjustment and will let you know how it works out.

More details on my web log.

2012-04-17_211124.jpg

Thanks CorneliusAlphonse for the pic. It helped me identify the plastic 'hole' you were talking about. It's right above the compressor. Does the heat from the compressor mess with your CO2 line?

Also did you ever figure out the temperature issues you were having? Mine is stuck at 32-34 at it's hottest setting. :(

I've never noticed anything, but I guess I don't pay particularly close attention, either. My CO2 regulator is kind of broken for pressures between 10 and 15 psi, somehow, so my carbonation is always a bit off. I'll get a new one sometime, haha..

As for the temperature issues, I see you've tried making an adjustment. I never bothered, I just picked up an external aquarium temperature controller. sorry can't be any help there.

Yep, Diversey Brewing Company is me lol.
I left the CO2 tank in the back on the hump and no problems to report. I think I did have to unscrew and then reattached the temp control just to a higher hole (to allow clearance for tubing), but it was really simple; I didn't have to rewire anything. The little big of hang on the CO2 is just me not pushing it all the way back; there are no spacing issues with the CO2 tank and the kegs.

kegCO2.jpg

Horray the adjustment screw worked! I'm now sitting around 43 avg at my hottest temp compared to my previous 32-34. I'll have to do some more adjustments to get it just right but good news!

Below you can see the initial temp compared to the new adjusted temp. I strived to put the temp probe in the same place so hopefully I'm not just dreaming.

2012-04-18_123250.JPG

Just in case anyone wants this. Someone PM'd me asking for it.

Internal Height, with bent back freezer tray: 28 inches

Internal Width (left to right): 18 inches (remove 1-2 inches from 18 if you don't shave down side railings)

Depth to compressor hump from door, after removing door shelves: 10.5 inches

Depth to bent back freezer: 12.5 (could be more if you bend it back more. I got scared)

anyone have issues with fitting a ball lock on the right side where the temp controller (Danbys not aftermarket)? To say it is snug would be an understatement..

yimg-1108128080-101--339931178.jpg

I had to remove mine from the wall and push it back. Then it worked fine. I can take a pic if you want.

This thread was really helpful! Thanks guys. I thought I broke my freezer line, but I tried it today and it got way to cold. I drilled my hole in the plastic casing and gave the coarse screw two twists. Now I'm sitting at 40 F! Next step is drilling my hole. My plunger shaft is just under 7/8 thick. Which I feel a bit strange sharing on the internet.....

Any recommendation on hole size? Should I go 7/8 or go big with 1 inch?

Hi, everyone. I have an opportunity to purchase a DCR412BLS for around $60 and I'd like to do the same conversion everyone else has on this thread, BUT... I have a 10# CO2 tank, and I really want to put it inside with two ball lock kegs. Is there any way it could fit - like maybe getting creative and laying it on its side atop the kegs, or something similar. What do you think - is there a way to make it fit?

I have a 10# CO2 tank, and I really want to put it inside with two ball lock kegs. Is there any way it could fit - like maybe getting creative and laying it on its side atop the kegs, or something similar. What do you think - is there a way to make it fit?

Short answer, my guess is no, as in no, not even close to fitting a 10 lb tank and two kegs. A 10 lb tank is pretty large IIRC. I also think, not positive, running a full tank on it's side is not a good idea.

Hey guys, i know that this thread is quite old, but I have a question regarding the BLS version of the fridge. I have a Johnson Controls unit that I would like to use to get a very solid regulation on the temperature of my fridge as I transition it to a Kegerator, and I would like to pass the probe through the side of the fridge. I know people have used temp guns and other methods to locate the lines, and I have looked at the manual for the fridge (which shows that there are lines in the sides, but not really detailed as to where they are.) Can someone give me a measurement from the top and back of the unit as to a good place to drill without hitting a freon line?

I had also been a bit timid on bending the freezer box down until reading through this thread, and now I feel a lot more comfortable doing it, so this thread has been very helpful so far.

Latest posts

Back