Blonde Ale The Crowd Pleaser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Saflager S23
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Any
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Beer coloured
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 14C/58F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days +. Cold/lager in fridge.
Tasting Notes
Light yeast fruitiness with interesting malt flavour and balanced bitterness. Very quaffable.
I've brewed this beer a few times now and it has become my 'go to' for events where there will be a lot of non-craft beer drinkers. I'm tentatively calling it a 'blonde ale', even though it's really a lager, because that's how it drinks (and BJCP guidelines say that blondes can use lager yeast). It has a really nice, lightly fruity nose supported by some very tasty and interestingly layered malt and enough hop to make it balanced and easy to drink. This is a very drinkable beer that will keep everyone happy. The yeast is important - S23 in the 56 to 60F range produces some quite pleasant (IMO) fruity esters without any higher alcohols or harsh flavours. It sort of tastes like a lager/ale cross. For a bit of added hop, 1/2g per litre at flame-out gives a noticeable but not in-your-face aroma and flavour (I've used centennial and citra which were both excellent, but mostly brew this without the flamout hops).

Grain:
Pils Malt: 30%
Pale Malt: 30%
Vienna Malt: 30%
Dark Munich Malt: 5%
Dextrose: 5% (leave this out or replace with flaked corn if you're adding flame-out hops)
Aim for an OG of 1.045
Mash at 64.5C/148F for 75mins.

Hops:
Gold Cluster@60 mins to get to 22IBUs total (including the bitterness from the 20 minute addition)
Gold Cluster: 1/2g per L or 2g per gallon at 20minutes
Optional: 1/2g per L or 2g per gallon of any hop, eg. Centennial, Citra, at flameout.

Ferment:
Chill to below 14C/58F before pitching the yeast (S-23 dry lager yeast). Ferment at 14C/58F for 14 days (it should be finished in 7 to 10 days). Crash chill in the fridge for a week minimum then bottle or keg. Enjoy! I'll post a picture when my current batch is ready in about a weeks time.

Here's a picture. This one has 1/4 g/L of Nelson Sauvin at flameout. Quite delicious.

upload_2018-11-26_18-29-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-26_18-28-36.png
    upload_2018-11-26_18-28-36.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 81
1/4 g/L of Nelson. So 5 grams in 5 gal? That is about 1/6 oz. Doesn't seem like that would do much.

1/4 g/L of Nelson. So 5 grams in 5 gal? That is about 1/6 oz. Doesn't seem like that would do much.

Yep, thanks for picking up, it was a typo. Was meant to be 1/2 g/L (10 grams, or about 1/3oz, in 5 gallons). Gives a pleasant and subtle hop flavour without throwing the beer out of balance.

Back