The commercial beer that made the hop famous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I was trying to put together a list of commercial beers that made a hop famous. I dont mind at all if different folks think two or twenty beers made a particular hop famous, just looking for whats best to calibrate taste to variety. I swore some one had asked this before but I can not find it.

i.e. centennial = bells two hearted

Founder's Centennial - Centennial, and it's much more available than bells.

DFH60 - Simcoe and Amarillo

Sam Adam's Boston lager - hops that should never be used in high quantities.

Founder's Centennial - Centennial, and it's much more available than bells.

DFH60 - Simcoe and Amarillo

Sam Adam's Boston lager - hops that should never be used in high quantities.

We don't get Founder's either!

And I'm sorry, but DFH isn't doing anything that wasn't done out here first. :)

I disagree. 60 minute is good, but I'd put it up against at least 5 others in SD and be confident that it just wouldn't hold up.

edit: I like that beer, too. I just think the hype is a bit excessive.

Well it's my go to IPA when nothing else interests me. Care to name those beers? I'd love to try them, if I can get them out here.

Well it's my go to IPA when nothing else interests me. Care to name those beers? I'd love to try them, if I can get them out here.

I'd go with Alesmith IPA (distributed by Stone, so maybe), Scuplin and Dorado from Ballast Point (doubtful you could get these since they're seasonal), West Coast IPA from Green Flash (another Stone possibility), and Duet from Alpine.

For out of SD, Pliny is a go to for me since it is always on at the bar I go to.

Beer is definitely regional though. I'm just spoiled by San Diego, because we're really the center of the IPA universe.

I can get West Coast IPA and all the Stone ones. I think Avery IPA is just as good as the Stone IPA. I would really like to try Alesmith.

I'd go with Alesmith IPA (distributed by Stone, so maybe), Scuplin and Dorado from Ballast Point (doubtful you could get these since they're seasonal), West Coast IPA from Green Flash (another Stone possibility), and Duet from Alpine.

For out of SD, Pliny is a go to for me since it is always on at the bar I go to.

Beer is definitely regional though. I'm just spoiled by San Diego, because we're really the center of the IPA universe.

We get Ballast Point and Green Flash, so I'll have to pick up a sixpack of their IPA's next time.

Ah, I'd thought Bells Two-Hearted used Cascade. No wonder it's so different from SNPA.

I like Both, but I gotta go with Bells by a slim margin. My favorite IPA so far.

Back