The classic 'is this an infection?' question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc513

Reaction score
I've been brewing for 5 years and I've never really payed that much attention to how the krausen looks. But I usually remember it looking pretty uniform. Not separated into bubbles and 'brownish, yeasty-ish stuff'. If it matters, it's a smash beer with Maris Otter, citra hops, and WhiteLabs California V ale yeast.

MfGguzz.jpg

how long has it been fermenting in that picture ?
Did you have lots of star san foam in the fermenter ?

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

yeah, I wasn't too worried. The picture was taken on day 2 of fermentation. There may have been an excess of starsan foam in the fermenter.

eww, gross. what's all that baby poop stuff floating on top?

normal. maybe your just not used to a really vigorous high krausen phase. Happens when you pitch sufficient and active yeast.

Looks like hop residue pushed up during high kreusen of fermentation. My advice is to never get worked up about how things look until you know how things taste. I don't know that I've had 2 fermentations look the same and have learned from experience to trust my tongue over my eyes. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back