The Cascade Decision I Made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randmc

Reaction score
So a few weeks back adventures in home brewing was having a crazy sale on Cascade ops a pound was just $5. So in my infinite wisdom I decided to do what any logical person would do about 4 lb.

I brew a decent amount of beer, 10-20 gals a month, but I am now stuck with a lot of hops of all one variety. So now that my self restraint has been exposed, I'm looking to brew a beer with a lot of Cascade in it. Anyone have suggestions?

You can make a sick APA SMASH with cascade and pale ale malt.

My favorite pale ale is Willamette/Cascade.

I'm sure you've already thought of this but you could do a Cascade SMaSH. One of my favorite IPA's so far has been Resilience IPA (Grain bill is just 2-row and C60) which uses just cascade and centennial. Hell, make an all cascade NEIPA, 6oz in the mash, 6oz in the dry hop. Cascade blonde ale sounds good for the upcoming summer months. Cascade is great in porters and stouts as well.

Before this whole Covid-19 pandemic, a friend who grows Cascade for me wanted to brew either of the two recipes below that only used Cascade hops that he had found online.....

https://learn.kegerator.com/recipe-cascade-smash-pale-ale/
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/3984/cascade-pale-ale
We hadn't decided which on which recipe to brew, but I was leaning toward the SMaSH recipe so as there were less variables and the focus would be on the Cascade hops and their perceived AA% strength. He suggested a virtual brew day, but that isn't fun. Hopefully, someday we will be able to brew together again.

You already know your AA% so it is just a matter of what you want to brew.....

I have to 3rd the SMaSH. I made a beer with just 2-row and Cascade while dry hopping with some whole cone hops that I had grown from last year. Turned out great.

So a few weeks back adventures in home brewing was having a crazy sale on Cascade ops a pound was just $5. So in my infinite wisdom I decided to do what any logical person would do about 4 lb.

I brew a decent amount of beer, 10-20 gals a month, but I am now stuck with a lot of hops of all one variety. So now that my self restraint has been exposed, I'm looking to brew a beer with a lot of Cascade in it. Anyone have suggestions?

Do a Sierra Nevada PA clone. IIRC, it's a SMaSH beer, all Cascade. It was one of the 'originals' of craft brewing and is still one or the most legit, solid beer recipes around.

Brooo Brother

I'm sure you've already thought of this but you could do a Cascade SMaSH. One of my favorite IPA's so far has been Resilience IPA (Grain bill is just 2-row and C60) which uses just cascade and centennial. Hell, make an all cascade NEIPA, 6oz in the mash, 6oz in the dry hop. Cascade blonde ale sounds good for the upcoming summer months. Cascade is great in porters and stouts as well.
I like the idea of trying something experimental with these hops. I've never tried to mash hopping before maybe it's time to give it a shot

I like the idea of doing something experimental with these hops. Never tried mash hoping before

At first I was confused but I reread what I wrote and legit just told you to mash hop...LOL...I completely meant 6oz in the whirlpool. Might as well experiment however! haha

Cascade and Centennial are good together, experiment with different yeast as well as changing up the hop timing. Getting ready to keg a Cascade/Centennial IPA with 70% US-05 and 30% K-97. Cascade alone can make a great Pale Ale, it also pairs well with Simcoe.

I got a # during the sale and am going for a maltier version of sierra nevada...loooots of cascade...we'll see how it turns out!

At first I was confused but I reread what I wrote and legit just told you to mash hop...LOL...I completely meant 6oz in the whirlpool. Might as well experiment however! haha
So have you ever mash hopped?

Cascade really is a great hop (not saying that just based on my user name!). It works well in an NEIPA style beer mixed with the other standards (Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, etc.), it works great mixed with other hops in a West Coast IPA or APA, and it is one of the few hops that I use standalone (in a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale style beer).

I bought two pounds of it as well. I plan on doing a smash and try different yeast to exbeeriment. 90% 2 row pale, 10% Caramel (tbd L) 1 oz cascade at 60, .5 at 30 & 15 and 1 at FO. I plan to do four 4 gallons batches and put a west coast ale, east coast ale, English ale, and a dry English ale yeast (Nottingham). Just to see what profiles I’ll get with yeast alone. I plan to do two mashes and combine them in my larger kettle so the wort itself is the same. I am debating even splitting them further and try dry hopping with cascade in one set of four, citra in a set and azaca in another, 4th set not dry hopped, 16 single gallons going...I have a bunch of one gallons glass jugs from mead experiments.

I bought two pounds of it as well. I plan on doing a smash and try different yeast to exbeeriment. 90% 2 row pale, 10% Caramel (tbd L) 1 oz cascade at 60, .5 at 30 & 15 and 1 at FO. I plan to do four 4 gallons batches and put a west coast ale, east coast ale, English ale, and a dry English ale yeast (Nottingham). Just to see what profiles I’ll get with yeast alone. I plan to do two mashes and combine them in my larger kettle so the wort itself is the same. I am debating even splitting them further and try dry hopping with cascade in one set of four, citra in a set and azaca in another, 4th set not dry hopped, 16 single gallons going...I have a bunch of one gallons glass jugs from mead experiments.
What is your process for bottling out of the 1 gal fermenters? I am looking to do some similar small batch experiments but I can't think up a good way to bottle and carb.

So the next brew I'm doing is a DIPA/ double NEIPA which calls for almost 2 pounds of Citra at dry hop. I think cascade is a bit less appropriate to be used at those levels, but you could probably use it up pretty quick if you throw in a heavily dry hopped DIPA.

Just the same as I would for five gallon. Ignore the Lodo principles here because it is inventible transferring a single gallon to a bottling bucket and bottling. My recommendations is to purge the bucket with CO2, a smaller bucket might be a good investment and drill a hole to put your spigot on (interchangeable between 1-2 vs 5 gallon buckets), that way less CO2. Don’t force that last half bottle. One gallon always yields 8-1/2 bottle for me. But the first little bit in and out of the bottleing wand get aureate like a mother. So I start a bottle until the bubbles are gone, do the other 8, then pour the rest in that partial bottle. I drink that then and there as a tester. This at least limits some oxygen.

Last edited:
Hopsteiner had a report that mixing Cascade and Lemondrop at 5:1 would mimic Amarillo aroma and flavor.

Latest posts

Back