The brewery is finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Mash

Reaction score
I started off with a 3 tier system but got tired of climbing a ladder to get the HLT up and down. The other drawback is it could not be moved under my patio cover. I switched to a 2 tier because I like to gravity feed the boil pot so an extra pump is not necessary.

The HLT and MT are electric and the boil pot is NG. There are 2 spa timers in the little box for setting start times and the rest of the eleectronics are in the big box.

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

I assume you bought that setup? If so, linkie please. If you built it, your my new hero.

Well, yeah, it's pretty cool I guess... :rolleyes:

But I'll throw in the monkey wrench for fun. The fact of the matter is you will never be finished!

:p

Well, yeah, it's pretty cool I guess... :rolleyes:

But I'll throw in the monkey wrench for fun. The fact of the matter is you will never be finished!

:p

I know, I said I was finished when I built the 3 tier...

The pots are made out of old pool filter housings, I got them from pool guys for free, I just gave them beer...

umm . . .did you say that you had that outside on your patio? is that just when it is in use?

on a completely un-related note, i was wondering when are you brewing next and where do you live? i have been planning on steal ... urr.... umm ... i mean buying one like that.

Great stuff. I think I recall seeing some of your set up on a different board a while back and it influenced me to try and source some of the pool filter covers, to date though it's been easy to find kegs than these covers.

Please PM me if you have a constant source for them.

Great stuff. I think I recall seeing some of your set up on a different board a while back and it influenced me to try and source some of the pool filter covers, to date though it's been easy to find kegs than these covers.

Please PM me if you have a constant source for them.

Unfortunately they are very hard to come by these days. Every once in a while one of my connections calls me to trade for beer and the ones I get go to club members.

Mine are 30 gallon pots, here is what they look like when I get them but this one is 40 gallons...

LargeMashTun.jpg

Is that a water filter for a swimming pool?

Yes, it is a stainless steel diatomaceous earth filter. People are switching to the new composite filter housings and just throwing these out.

Once the paint is removed and they are cleaned up they make really nice pots & fermenters.

I use them for fermenters but the could be used for kegs, it would just be pretty difficult to move a 30 gallon keg around.

I chopped the tops off of a couple kegs and welded them onto the pool filter lids. I had to build my own dip tubes to get down the the bottom.

Foamy2.jpg

This shows under the lid and my old 3 tier....

Fermenter02.jpg

Unfortunately they are very hard to come by these days. Every once in a while one of my connections calls me to trade for beer and the ones I get go to club members.

Mine are 30 gallon pots, here is what they look like when I get them but this one is 40 gallons...

They have been hard to find. I had a guy on craigs list that said he had a couple but he never came through.

What brewing club are you a part of?

I have the plastic version of what you have....

Impressive... you suck... communist!

They have been hard to find. I had a guy on craigs list that said he had a couple but he never came through.

What brewing club are you a part of?

I belong to the Maltose Falcons. They built a system entirely out of the 40 gallon filters.

These filters are a lot more work then converting kegs since they have a 4" hole in the bottom. They are much nicer looking though...

I remember seeing pictures of your gravity system, nice update!

I just did an update myself, but mine has to be mobile, so the result isn't as sleek and well contained. Take a look...

086.JPG

I belong to the Maltose Falcons. They built a system entirely out of the 40 gallon filters.

These filters are a lot more work then converting kegs since they have a 4" hole in the bottom. They are much nicer looking though...

Just printed out my membership form on Wed (I've been thinking about joining more and more...I keep running into members both here and around town in LA...bout time I did it I think). I'm going to take it to the shop next time I need to pick something up.

Maybe I'll see you at the next meeting.

Very nice! But posting those pictures without some explanations of the components is just a tease!

Tell us about your process - how it all works (in step form) from start to end. (Please?)

Some initial questions:

- You say your HLT and MLT are electric and I see two SSR's in the control panel but neither have heat sinks. Why? How big are the elements? The wire sizes "seem" to be 15A (max) so is that why? Is the backplane enough of a heat sink?

- By the looks of it you have 3 different power supplies in there. What are they for?

- You've got 2 other components in the bottom left and right of the control panel that I can't make out what they are...

Nice work!

Kal

The heat sinks could be external like mine, from the inside of the box you cannot see them. You dont want your heat sink in the box...

I remember seeing pictures of your gravity system, nice update!

I just did an update myself, but mine has to be mobile, so the result isn't as sleek and well contained. Take a look...

086.JPG

I really hate to thread jack, but if you can mount all the other components, like the reg, pump, etc.....why not mount a burner and have it sunk into the lower platform? It'd probably be safer, more aesthetic......and just as portable.:confused:

Back