The Big Three should die

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Coors light, they are officially calling this "The Wisconsin Pack."

img_2879-1.jpg

I personally would like them to fire up the way back machine & brew their original recipes from when they first started brewing & getting popular. It wasn't until the 20th century that they started thinning them down to appeal to women so they'd buy'em too. That'd be cheaper than buying up craft breweries. Would definitely be better beer against the craft offerings of today.

I personally would like them to fire up the way back machine & brew their original recipes from when they first started brewing & getting popular. It wasn't until the 20th century that they started thinning them down to appeal to women so they'd buy'em too. That'd be cheaper than buying up craft breweries. Would definitely be better beer against the craft offerings of today.

Several major breweries have released the old recipes. I know Stroh's has gone back, and Michelob has their "Original Lager". That one brings back the memories from when I was a teenager and my friend and I would sneak bottles and head off to the barn to drink 'em and shoot stuff with the BB gun.

And here I thought it was just me? :D Old recipe for Stroh's? Do you mean the blue cans/labels of today? Tastes a bit different than when they had the old, Bohemian style lager label ( like Shawshank Redempsion). Dang spell checker quit?...along with left click in reply mode? Anyway, the hops are a bit more floral than I remember?...

And here I thought it was just me? :D Old recipe for Stroh's? Do you mean the blue cans/labels of today? Tastes a bit different than when they had the old, Bohemian style lager label ( like Shawshank Redempsion). Dang spell checker quit?...along with left click in reply mode? Anyway, the hops are a bit more floral than I remember?...

Maybe you have a virus;)

WTF. You want me to mix my own Cheladas? Normy don't think so. Not to mention I can't make enough blonde to fill the void. BMC is needed.

Or it's getting manic depressive...it just did it again a couple minutes ago. It forgets how to spell, locks up, won't left click.
Anyway, If they wanted their beers to appeal to non-beer drinkers, they should've kept the regular brew & made a lighter one. Rather than making it lighter then making a lite beer.

Lowering the ABV was also so you had to buy more.

Coors had Batch 19. I liked that one but it looks like it is no longer available. I was hoping it would jump an archive series where they would utilize old in-house recipes.

Boys....I hope the Big Three don't die because....

1. They make MY beers taste a lot better.
2. I got a brother-in-law that works for them...he loses his job, I'll be supporting his butt too!

Boys....I hope the Big Three don't die because....

1. They make MY beers taste a lot better.
2. I got a brother-in-law that works for them...he loses his job, I'll be supporting his butt too!

I always go under the theory that we kinda need the big boys.

How many of us started by drinking quality craft beers... I can tell you I tried a Duck Rabbit Milk stout early on and it was like drinking tire smoke in my mind. Later on while distributing for MC I got my hands on a few cases of Coors Lite. At the time I wasn't a beer drinker, but figure ehh it's free I'll learn to like it. By the time I finished I kinda liked, it. Problem was in college everybody drank it, and "mine" became "theirs" so I branched out, nobody would touch my Guiness...till they did...so i branched out again and again and began to learn about great beer...

I feel like a lot of industries are like this. In the paintball world people complain about the wal-mart brands, but guess where most of us started..

I, OTOH, do not wish for the big three to die.
“Luckily I’m not dying,” [Tim Duncan] cracked [about retiring]. “I’m just moving to another chapter.”
"Losing Tim made it absolutely imperative that we keep [Manu Ginobili]," Popovich said Thursday. "To lose them both at the same time, it would've been like death by a thousands cuts. It would've been awful."
News of basketball player Tony Parker’s death spread quickly earlier this week causing concern among fans across the world. However the July 2016 report has now been confirmed as a complete hoax and just the latest in a string of fake celebrity death reports. Thankfully, the San Antonio Spurs star is alive and well.

Can someone change the title of this thread to Big Two please.

A lot of hate in here but nice to see some support too.
If you don't like Big Two beer, then don't buy it.
If you think the laws are unfair, tell your political representatives.
If your representatives don't listen, vote them out.
If you want to retire early, invest in ABI stock. Have you seen the dividend payouts?

People say Bud, Miller and Coors taste like piss and are terrible quality but I don't know many beers you can keep in a hot car trunk or a garage for a month throw it in a fridge and drink it on a 100 deg F day and have it taste the same as it did when bought from a store.

Who makes better beer? Bud Miller Coors - or - Heady Topper, Dogfish, 3F, Boston Beer Co, Russian River?!? I mean come on...

Sorry man. I have been reading this thread and have laughed my head off on some of your (and other's) comments. You want to really bring in the "who makes better beer" debate as an argument? That's like asking the defendant in court, "so when exactly did you stop beating your wife, Mr. Jones?". It does not compute nor is it credible.

My personal thought (again--MY THOUGHT ONLY) is that if you hate InBev, SAB Coors then just simply don't buy it. Does it serve a purpose in society? Yep. Does it weaken a society? Nope. Are local economies being supported by them? Yes. Are the profits being shipped off American soil? Yes and No. Find out via their annual report. It's online.

They are a publicly traded company in America. You want to invest in them? Do so as you wish. I believe that you will find that they are a fairly sound investment.

Now tell me a homebrew that you've made that has been as consistently clean in flavor as they have. Don't get me wrong, it's not as flavorful as an IPA, a stout, a porter, or whatever beer style you want to name. But it is clean and is very consistent. This is not an argument point but a reference point.

Long story short: don't buy it if you don't want to. We all have freewill and that in itself is worth so much more than blaming all the troubles out there on some big, bad corporation that donates a lot of money in our world.

People say Bud, Miller and Coors taste like piss and are terrible quality but I don't know many beers you can keep in a hot car trunk or a garage for a month throw it in a fridge and drink it on a 100 deg F day and have it taste the same as it did when bought from a store.

Don't even get me started on how long it sits in a warmish staging area at the warehouse, hot truck for delivery and the back room of the grocery store you buy it from... but by god it still tastes exactly like it does the moment it rolled into the warehouse weeks ago. Maybe not amazing...but consistency that boggles the mind

Sorry man. I have been reading this thread and have laughed my head off on some of your (and other's) comments. You want to really bring in the "who makes better beer" debate as an argument? That's like asking the defendant in court, "so when exactly did you stop beating your wife, Mr. Jones?". It does not compute nor is it credible.

My personal thought (again--MY THOUGHT ONLY) is that if you hate InBev, SAB Coors then just simply don't buy it. Does it serve a purpose in society? Yep. Does it weaken a society? Nope. Are local economies being supported by them? Yes. Are the profits being shipped off American soil? Yes and No. Find out via their annual report. It's online.

They are a publicly traded company in America. You want to invest in them? Do so as you wish. I believe that you will find that they are a fairly sound investment.

Now tell me a homebrew that you've made that has been as consistently clean in flavor as they have. Don't get me wrong, it's not as flavorful as an IPA, a stout, a porter, or whatever beer style you want to name. But it is clean and is very consistent. This is not an argument point but a reference point.

Long story short: don't buy it if you don't want to. We all have freewill and that in itself is worth so much more than blaming all the troubles out there on some big, bad corporation that donates a lot of money in our world.

Honestly almost every beer I've made I think is better than there's. Just like almost every hamburger I've BBQ'd is better than McDonalds. I can't drink their pisswater.

And no, it's not at all like asking that, that question (when did you stop beating your wife) is a load d question. Who makes better beer is not loaded.

And does it serve a purpose? Yes, a useful purpose? Maybe. Does it harm society? Yes yes and yes, by using their huge power to put smaller and better quality companies out of business. To cheapen the overall quality of beer in A,Erica. To turn beer away from a think where you enjoy a quality beverage to a lets get f'd up beverage. Not to mention the misogyny they help perpetuate throughout the years, they have hugely damaged society. They donate a lot of money to help solve problems they created. And they don't even do enough. Sorry, but I see pretty much nothing redeeming about them and am 100% positive that we would be better in every aspect that they touch if they didn't exist.

Honestly almost every beer I've made I think is better than there's. Just like almost every hamburger I've BBQ'd is better than McDonalds. I can't drink their pisswater.

Sorry... I'm just not following this at all.
You make better beer than them so they should be out of business.
You make a better BBQ. Should McDonalds be put out of business too?
There's nothing new with large business squeezing small business. It occurs in all areas of commerce.
According to your logic, if I make better beer than you, you should find another hobby?

And does it serve a purpose? Yes, a useful purpose? Maybe. Does it harm society? Yes yes and yes, by using their huge power to put smaller and better quality companies out of business. To cheapen the overall quality of beer in A,Erica. To turn beer away from a think where you enjoy a quality beverage to a lets get f'd up beverage. Not to mention the misogyny they help perpetuate throughout the years, they have hugely damaged society. They donate a lot of money to help solve problems they created. And they don't even do enough. Sorry, but I see pretty much nothing redeeming about them and am 100% positive that we would be better in every aspect that they touch if they didn't exist.

Perhaps you're thinking too much..
When I'm having a craft brew, I'm not thinking about the "overall quality of beer in America." It almost sounds as if you're being forced to drink what you don't want.
If you honestly think big beer has "damaged society", it might be a good idea to take a break from home brewing and pick up a newspaper.

Lord, please allow me to take a breath and decipher the rhetoric of those that are always the victim. Amen.

I once saw my Uncle Joe pour Budweiser over his cornflakes one morning because he didn't have any milk in the house. :tank:

In collage I substituted marshmallows for milk in mash potatoes once and that didn't work either.

Edit: They are both white...I was a freshman 1st time away from home and mom did all the cooking growing up. I don't follow that logic making beer thankfully. Well, not usually...

I'd be happy if they'd just focus on themselves and not still trying to "buy" tap space and shelf space away from others....

I'd be happy if they'd just focus on themselves and not still trying to "buy" tap space and shelf space away from others....

Can they do that? I swear we weren't allowed to buy shelf space in NC

The distributor is not allowed to purchase shelf space or exclusivity, furnish equipment like draft coolers, offer loans or create a feeling of obligation, or offer discriminatory promotional pricing. They are supposed to provide all retailers the same pricing.

^This was always the ruling I lived under when working for a distributor. Heck it was technically illegal for me to break down my own boxes and clean up after myself in a store...ALE gave me hell about that once because it gave an unfair advantage leading to preferential treatment.

I'll admit it was cutthroat - especially in the smaller sections if I was Distributor A and had 1 facing beside Distributor B I was encouraged to push B out if they hadn't filled their spot...and occasionally we were encouraged to remove other distributors POS stuff from locations.

Sorry... I'm just not following this at all.

You make better beer than them so they should be out of business.

You make a better BBQ. Should McDonalds be put out of business too?

There's nothing new with large business squeezing small business. It occurs in all areas of commerce.

According to your logic, if I make better beer than you, you should find another hobby?

well no, first I didn't say they should be out of business, there is no should or should not, I was simply saying that things would be better if they were, but I guess I theory yeah, maybe that does mean that they should be. A company that makes an inferior product should not be in business, it's kind of how capitalism works.

But to be fair to me you should read the post previous to mine, I was just responding to it, they person before me said to name a homebrew better than the Budweiser, Coors, etc... Please look at the context of this.

And yeah, it happens all the time, of course. But does that mean it's right? WalMart squeezes lots of small businesses that make better products out of business and I don't think that's good for society. Squeezing someone out of business because you make a higher quality product vs, squeezing someone out because you have more money and therefore more power to do shady things are two very very different situations.

And no, I shouldn't find another hobby, you are comparing apples and oranges. A hobby is not a business. But if I tried to make a business out of my homebrewery then I probably should not be in business because many other professionals make a superior product than me, that's why I am not a professional brewer.

Perhaps you're thinking too much..

When I'm having a craft brew, I'm not thinking about the "overall quality of beer in America." It almost sounds as if you're being forced to drink what you don't want.

If you honestly think big beer has "damaged society", it might be a good idea to take a break from home brewing and pick up a newspaper.

No, again i am responding to questions that were posed, I also don't think about that every time I have a beer, nor did I ever say I do. Please please please under and that this is a discussion and in discussions people think. I don't think I'm being forced to drink anything, that's a silly statement. But factually many small breweries are being pushed out of business not because they are inferior products, but because the big 3 have a virtual monopoly and control means of distribution, and whatnot.

But sometimes when I am having a beer, or more likely shopping for a beer, I do think about that. See, I live in Japan where the big beer companies have stopped craft beers from being common because of their huge power. For decades they have made laws that made microbreweries pretty much impossible to start here because they have so much power. They have made homebrewing illegal here, so yeah I do 100% think that is wrong, do you disagree? Do you think it's ok to use your money to influence governments to make laws to make your competition illegal? I know you think it means I "think too much" but it's hard not too think about it when I'm having to pay 6$ for a bottle to go or 10$ for a pint because of shady deals that big companies have done to control the industry. Sorry if that overthinking it but you don't seem to realize how harmful big business can actually be unless people keep them in check.

And I do read newspapers, please respond to my assertion that they have damaged society rather than just calling me uneducated because I need to pick up a newspaper (an odd assertion since right before that you said I was thinking too much) you failed to mention any of the examples that I stated about the harm they do and just insulted me. Please try to keep this discussion civilized and refrain from using fallacies, I look forward to you telling me how my claims are wrong point by point instead of silly distractions. Thank you.

See, I live in Japan where the big beer companies have stopped craft beers from being common because of their huge power. For decades they have made laws that made microbreweries pretty much impossible to start here because they have so much power. They have made homebrewing illegal here, so yeah I do 100% think that is wrong, do you disagree?

This makes all the difference in the world here - I know you weren't responding to my statements, but yea I've a feeling we all assumed you were in the US. Being in Japan makes things a bit different, and yea you're obviously more educated on the laws,regulations, and market there than we are. A lot of what you said in the last post validated a good amount of what you said previously.

^This was always the ruling I lived under when working for a distributor. Heck it was technically illegal for me to break down my own boxes and clean up after myself in a store...ALE gave me hell about that once because it gave an unfair advantage leading to preferential treatment.

I'll admit it was cutthroat - especially in the smaller sections if I was Distributor A and had 1 facing beside Distributor B I was encouraged to push B out if they hadn't filled their spot...and occasionally we were encouraged to remove other distributors POS stuff from locations.

Quote from same article:
"Corruption now exists at the distributor level. Powerful distributors determine which beers make it to the shelves".
^ this is the rule followed around here.

And or control the taps as the example I gave earlier of first hand knowledge from my local pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back