the big debate (secondary fermentation)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agdarnell

Reaction score
Ok so im on my second batch and I got a 5 gallon glass carboy not only to be able to do a secondary but also to be able to free up the primary bucket to start another batch a week early... So today I went to check out what was happening in the carboy and it looks exactly the same as when I racked it into it from the primary.. Am i suposed to see a difference I kinda thought it would be bubbling a little bit more than it is.. like I said im just begining so sorry for the stupid question.

Hopefully most of the fermentation work was done before you racked to secondary. Secondary is more of a clean up and clear up. Keeping the beer on the yeast for a little more time will help get the beer fully fermented and it will start to clear some as well. The best way to check is to measure the gravity of the beer. It should stay the same for a few days - you'll know it's done fermenting and now just aging and getting better.

Many people don't even bother racking to a second vessel. You can keep your beer in the primary fermenter for a couple of weeks with no problem. I do it. When you transfer you can introduce more oxygen or potentially other nasties if your sanitation isn't good.

Nope once you move it to the secondary you may not see any action what so ever. I do the same as you to keep the primary open to start a new batch...its what I like to do but it seems to be up to the brewer so there may not be a good answer if its needed or not but the fact you see no action is normal

Do you have a hydrometer? Use that to determine your current SG (specific gravity). Also, how long you ago did you put your beer into the primary/secondary, and what yeast did you pitch (put into your fermentor)?

Extract or All grain? If extract, what did your recipe state your OG (original gravity) should be? I would guess that you did not use your hydrometer upon transfer to primary, but extract recipes are usually pretty close to what you should get by following the recipe. Now we need to determine whether you are at FG (final gravity) or close to it.

Take a reading, which should indicate whether fermentation is occuring/done, and post back with some more info (i.e. recipe, OG, current gravity, etc.).

Do you have a hydrometer? Use that to determine your current SG (specific gravity). Also, how long you ago did you put your beer into the primary/secondary, and what yeast did you pitch (put into your fermentor)?

Extract or All grain? If extract, what did your recipe state your OG (original gravity) should be? I would guess that you did not use your hydrometer upon transfer to primary, but extract recipes are usually pretty close to what you should get by following the recipe. Now we need to determine whether you are at FG (final gravity) or close to it.

Take a reading, which should indicate whether fermentation is occuring/done, and post back with some more info (i.e. recipe, OG, current gravity, etc.).

I am doing a Left Coast Plae Ale, I did check the gravity when I first brewed it was 1.044 the original gravity on the recipe sheet is 1.045. It is an extract brew and I would have liked to check the gravity before moving to the carboy but my friend is the one that ownes the hydrometer and to be honest after buying the carboy i was to impatient to wait for him to bring it over before i racked to it :cross:

No stress. You may want to check a gravity before you are ready to bottle so that you know that it has finished fermenting. Upon transfer to secondary, the beer will typically not show many signs activity, especially if it has fermented to FG. I imagine it has finished, but trust your hydrometer.

Ok thats good to know that I shouldnt notice much of a difference in a secondary. Now onto another question.. like I said im not doing the secondary for any other reason than to be able to do other batches earlier by freeing up my primary bucket I know that alot of people think that the secondary fermentation is unnecesary but is it going to hurt the brew at all??? Or is it just easier to not deal with racking it into the secondary??

P.S. Go giants!!!!!!!!

This is a highly debatable subject. I dont secondary unless I rack onto fruit, or I use a very low flocculating yeast. Mainly I only primary. Less chance of oxidation, less chance of contamination, less work/time, etc. Plently of people secondary without issue, so its really personal preference. Up to you.

After 2 weeks in secondary you'll see a nice yeast cake at the bottom of your carboy. Your airlock won't go nuts after xfer, but some residual fermentation may take place if not at FG.

Personally....I always go secondary. I see clearer beers and I can start another batch earlier. Win....win. I know of the debate, but whatever. I want more beers faster. I guess I could do a ton of single stages, but I have the carboys/buckets. I use them.

my advice is that if you do primary only, make sure that you primary ferment in a transparent glass or plastic better bottle carboy... that way you can "see" it clearing out... with a bucket its hard to judge

skidaddytn said:
my advice is that if you do primary only, make sure that you primary ferment in a transparent glass or plastic better bottle carboy... that way you can "see" it clearing out... with a bucket its hard to judge

When you say to do it in the glass carboy to see when it's clearing out what exactly would I be looking for? Just to see when it's done fermenting?

After fermentation is done i usually notice the cloudiness disappearing with each additional few days it is left i have left a batch for a whole month and it really cleared well

Ok thats good to know that I shouldnt notice much of a difference in a secondary. Now onto another question.. like I said im not doing the secondary for any other reason than to be able to do other batches earlier by freeing up my primary bucket I know that alot of people think that the secondary fermentation is unnecesary but is it going to hurt the brew at all??? Or is it just easier to not deal with racking it into the secondary??

P.S. Go giants!!!!!!!!

Boy the times are changing.

It used to be that people were afraid to do long primaries because they thought it would harm the beer, so most people used a secondary.

Now it has swung the other way and people are afraid to use a secondary because they think it will harm their beer, so now many people do primary only beers.

In my opinion, both ways can be done poorly and give less then desireable results. On the other hand, both ways can be done well, and produce fantastic beers.

Either way is fine. Try it both ways and decide which YOU like better

As others said, you won't see much going on during the secondary. Eventually it will start to clear up. Then check its gravity and if it looks good, package it up.

Back