The Avengers Themed Coffin Top Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
IMG_0270.JPG

As you can see I like to make my brewing gear a little different from the normal things.
This Gaddis kegerator has served me well and will now become my primary fermentation chamber.

So now I’m just starting to build a proper keezer, the main reason is my 2 year old son has seen me pull the taps and tried to do it himself. Which he knows he’s not allowed to do. So in an effort to prevent this and to keep my boy safe, it’s time for an upgrade don’t worry my existing fermentation chamber will become something pretty fun and nerdy too.

So the theme is an avengers themed keezer.
The starting freezer is below.

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

Lid removed to build a collar.

IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG

Collar built.

I wanted to build a collar so I could penetrate the interior as I keep my co2 bottle outside the unit. The idea being to have the motor dump hold some of my special beer I buy to keep them cool etc.
the freezer I have also has small wheels attached to the bottom so no need for a stand.

Managed to sort a couple of small revisions to the keezer. And because it looked so good I even toyed with the idea of turning it into a standard keezer. Save me building a coffin box. But my thoughts prevailed. For now.

Anyways. I managed to get a good run at this over the weekend and instead of insulating I took the hard road and double skinned the collar with standard wood 8x2. Then I added a 90x18 too for a flat edge to lay my lid on.

I managed to trim out the right side after painting the existing grill. Once the liquid nails is dry I’ll remove screws and do the other 2 sides.
All in all starting to come together.
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG

The front trimmed out.
I had to cut holes for the drain and the main freezer controller as well
Had 44mm and 82mm hole saws which I borrowed and worked pretty well I think. The big holesaws tend to rip the timber to shreds which is a shame but I can work with that.

The left side to go. Then the final pieces of trim to go on before I make a start on the top.

Looks like I’m going to have some left over timber for the coffin top as well which will be good.
68C12AFC-FB36-4FFE-96BD-7A43250405F9.jpg
08F987BF-07EF-4035-A4DC-81975EE1C846.jpg
9BA699B2-755C-4E2E-B9DA-07805CD5BCE9.jpg

IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG

Starting to look like a real thing now.

Trim completed on the base unit and sorting the lid for a plywood piece and then the ply top to go on. The insulation lip has to be removed to give a good seal based on the design I went with.
Posters have been ordered and enroute.

Next step is the coffin box. Before measuring up the bar top etc. just to be sure.

IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0985.JPG
C35DA6A7-EC61-4E39-91AB-12C69618FD29.jpg
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1021.JPG

Managed some good progress over the holiday break.
Starting with the scoop out of the lid to flatten it off. I glued a sized piece of plywood to it and weighted it down.
While it dried I built the keezer top. And trimmed it out.
From there I built the coffin top and insulated it (dimensions: 540x230x395)
Then glued the top to the lid.

Next step before mounting everything is finish the inside of the keezer. I’ll be using the motor mounting for a shelf for bottle beers with 6 kegs inside.
I still need to no more gaps the inside of the collar and then paint to prevent moisture issues. I’m toying with the idea of actually using bitumen rubber paint which gets used to waterproof bathrooms etc. this would keep a lot of moisture off of joints etc. it would probably do the same treatment to the ply on the inside of the lid and the inside of the coffin top as well.

Things remaining:
- protect the collar and coffin top using paint or something similar.
- stain the wood.
- Cut 2 x ventilation holes for a computer circulating fan and a hole for pipes to come up and through
- Install a shelf/barrier for bottle stock
- mount the coffin top.
- mount pictures in frames and mount on white keezer gaps (gaps will be left for ventilation).
- install a electrical board for plugging items into on back of keezer.
- temp controller install
- finishing items (I.e. stickers and lights)
- Mount taps
-brew and fill kegs (during a month of sobriety in March)

-keezer christening party.

Long time no post.

With the government announced lockdown and all the items available to complete my project, I finally got there.
I have only minimal DIY skills, but think I did a good job of it.

This has now replaced my TARDIS Kegerator, and 5/6 taps are functional, whilst i await new tubing to arrive.

IMG_1976.jpg
IMG_1977.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1976.jpgIMG_1977.jpgIMG_1978.jpg

Back