The ArKeg...Do Want!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/arkeg/

I'm not sure if this has seen the rounds here or not but Wired has a video and write-up on the ArKeg which is an arcade cabinet (running MAME, I'd wager) with a kegerator built into the side. Their two major qualms, no cupholders and no drip tray, could be solved quite easily I imagine. They do call the 1/6 bbl keg a corny keg, which as I understand it, is not correct but it could be modified for homebrew fairly easily. So what's the verdict. Anyone gonna drop the $4k or build their own? Looks awesome to me... :rockin:

If I'm going to be drinking and playing video games I think I'd rather be sitting down rather than standing at a machine.

I'd pass.

Give me a sofa, a big screen, a 6 tap keezer, and a console system and I am a happy man.

Oh. Wait. I have that already.

Haven't actually turned on the console in 3 years tho'.

A friend of mine homebrews sometimes and he has a vintage Astroids machine in his house. Not sure if it's working ATM, but his brother is very good with electronics and from what I hear, it's not too hard to replace a few caps and resistors to get them running again.

He has mentioned making it into a kegerator and either run Astroids, or install a MAME system so he can choose from tons of classic games.

Really, you guys? There is something magical about playing arcade games with the correct equipment. Playing Street Fighter with anything less than a full arcade joystick is missing out... Maybe it's just me ;)

I built a MAME arcade a few years ago. It's right next to the arcade in the game room. I don't really see an advantage to having the kegerator in the arcade except for bragging rights.

I do a lot of arcade stuff. I have a few machines I've collected and quite a few boards. But honestly, I tend to end up just playing MAME using my joysticks:
sticks.jpg

They're just hacked up $10 USB gamepads.

On the rare occasion I do need a stand up setup (like for a Street Fighter IV tournament), I cobble this together:
arcade.jpg

I'm working right now on getting some Wireless 360 joysticks together. There's a place near me that does cash tournaments for SFIV and I'd love to be able to use a proper joystick instead of a gamepad (especially since I use charge characters like Blanka and Balrog).

But never have I had the desire to put a kegerator in the MAME cab. A kegerator's footprint is perfect to live side-by-side with the arcade machines. That's good enough for me.

I do a lot of arcade stuff. I have a few machines I've collected and quite a few boards. But honestly, I tend to end up just playing MAME using my joysticks:
sticks.jpg

They're just hacked up $10 USB gamepads.

On the rare occasion I do need a stand up setup (like for a Street Fighter IV tournament), I cobble this together:
arcade.jpg

I'm working right now on getting some Wireless 360 joysticks together. There's a place near me that does cash tournaments for SFIV and I'd love to be able to use a proper joystick instead of a gamepad (especially since I use charge characters like Blanka and Balrog).

But never have I had the desire to put a kegerator in the MAME cab. A kegerator's footprint is perfect to live side-by-side with the arcade machines. That's good enough for me.

You appear quite young in that picture. I bet you get carded a lot!

Yeah, that was one of the neighbor kids. Funny how this sort of thing will bring them out of the woodwork.

If I'm going to be drinking and playing video games I think I'd rather be sitting down rather than standing at a machine.

Yeah, if I ever get around to building a MAME cabinet (I've had the buttons and encoder for a couple years now!) it's going to be a cocktail cabinet.

Back