The Alchemist thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All. What's the availability of HT or HF in Burlington or Mont Pelier? Wife's leaving Monday for a three day business trip and willing to stop in a liquor store if she's not in a wild goose chase. Is it readily available or does it get gobbled up in 10 minutes like everything in Chicago? I know Alchemist site has locations with days for deliveries but curious if there's truck chasers or if it sits on shelves?

Appreciate the info in advance!!

Hey All. What's the availability of HT or HF in Burlington or Mont Pelier? Wife's leaving Monday for a three day business trip and willing to stop in a liquor store if she's not in a wild goose chase. Is it readily available or does it get gobbled up in 10 minutes like everything in Chicago? I know Alchemist site has locations with days for deliveries but curious if there's truck chasers or if it sits on shelves?

HF is not available outside the brewery. Alchemist gets grabbed up pretty quick (few hours usually) but I would imagine locals chiming in would be more accurate. Don't think heady will be an easy grab though

Montpelier would be on Thursday at the coop in the AM I believe. I think Wynooski (in proximity to Burlington) is a Tues or Thursday. I'd recommend the Alchemist's website which has which stores get deliveries and when.

Monday drop in Burlington @ Healthy Living. They get plenty and I'm sure if she calls ahead she can learn what time it drops. Usually morning, mid-morning. If she's not in the Burlington area and is in Montpelier, then beverage baron in Barre is a Monday drop too.
There are truck chasers, but have only seen them in summer.
She should be fine @ either place. Alchemist website delivery locations are as accurate as you're going to get.

Thanks for the tips dudes, Waterbury looks like the spot given she's there wed morning

Can someone send some Heady topper to someone in Texas for me? I can pay money, ZJs, beer, I need to finish up a badass MAW box.

If anyone happens to be in the Waitsfield area today, they are doing a charity event at Waitsfield grocery & deli. You can purchase Sip of Sunshine, Focal, and Heady by the case ($86/case, 1 case limit for each variety), still have plenty left at 1145

Still have a couple cans of that first round of Petit Mutant. Anyone try one recently? Has the brett gone to work? I know he recommended against aging it, but I was curious.

Still have a couple cans of that first round of Petit Mutant. Anyone try one recently? Has the brett gone to work? I know he recommended against aging it, but I was curious.
Had one about 10 days ago....I was shocked at how fresh the cherry profile was. 4 of us agreed, it could have sat for another 1-2 years. Great beer, just not a lot of development thus far.

Had one about 10 days ago....I was shocked at how fresh the cherry profile was. 4 of us agreed, it could have sat for another 1-2 years. Great beer, just not a lot of development thus far.

Interesting, as it has well over a year on it at this point. Does the can have anything to do with that, I wonder? Anyhow, thanks. I should get into one and see what's up.

Interesting, as it has well over a year on it at this point. Does the can have anything to do with that, I wonder? Anyhow, thanks. I should get into one and see what's up.
I had one recently too and I'll say that not much has changed - I suspect that's because there's almost no head space (oxygen) to allow for reactions to occur...or at least that's the idea of a journal article I read once on the subject.

I had one on New Years and I thought it was awful. I also thought it was pretty damn bad fresh, so I really can't say it got MUCH worse, but I thought it got worse.

/just one man's opinion

Is Focal released more often these days? How easy/hard is it to get compared to Heady? Is there a production schedule?

Focal is distributed only to a few local bars at the moment. Once the new brewery is fully functional, Focal will be an on site only beer there. Heady will still be distributed as is currently, but Focal will no longer be doled out to pubs and will not be on the Alchemist delivery schedule.

My girl and I hung out with John a bit at the release party, and then a couple weeks ago discussed it with a well informed barkeep at Three Penny.

I thought Edit: Petit (thanks drgarage) changed for the worse over time, but I haven't had a B1 can since around the 6 month mark. New ones are a little more Brett and a little less Cherry tartness but maybe more cherry sweetness, IMO.

Last edited:
Focal is distributed only to a few local bars at the moment. Once the new brewery is fully functional, Focal will be an on site only beer there. Heady will still be distributed as is currently, but Focal will no longer be doled out to pubs and will not be on the Alchemist delivery schedule.

My girl and I hung out with John a bit at the release party, and then a couple weeks ago discussed it with a well informed barkeep at Three Penny.

I thought Petit changed for the worse over time, but I haven't had a B1 can since around the 6 month mark. New ones are a little more Brett and a little less Cherry tartness, IMO.

I drank a B1 Petit at the 1 year mark and thought that it changed a little bit, but was mostly just crisper. It had the same (basic) flavors, but they all felt slightly more distinct and less muddied. I am very happy with how it's aging, and plan to keep my remaining 4 pack for a bit longer. Haven't tried B2, sadly enough

I had b1 & b2 of Petit Mutant recently and b1 had not improved at all. B2 tasted like cherry pie. Not a lot of funk/brett character to it. I don't think these beers were meant to age nor do they age well.

Charity event per Jon who talked to store owner, he posted earlier in this thread. One time thing, AFAIK.

First place I've heard it was available retail. Cans in restaurants- Stowe, Waterbury, Burlington(idk), but no talk of it going to stores regularly.

if any of you guys get focal i'd love you up with chicago goodies

Just had a can tonight at the Bench in Stowe...it's really good, much better than the truck sale cans in October, IMO.
Not being a dick, but I'd be happy to send some next summer when the new brewery opens up. Non-heady brews are tougher to come by as the truck sales are whenever they are and the last publicly available Focal was at their fundraiser at ECHO - with the last batch of PM. (with the exception of the stuff at Waitsfield market)

Crusher cans would be very welcome too. That **** is ****inamouth.

Anyone know or have an inside tip on what The Alchemist is bringing to VBF this year? They are only pouring on Friday and I REALLY hope it's more than just HT.

If anyone finds out please pass along info.

Maybe they're just switching formats away from the truck sale to things like the fundraiser.

Yeah, I think they're going to be sticking with the lottery system for upcoming releases. At least until the new facility is open. Which is unfortunate because I used to love going to the truck sales.

Anyone know when Alchemist stuff is released besides heady? I'm love to do a trade for some of the other stuff. I know outside of Heady their stuff is rare. Thanks for any knowledge!

Back