The 9th Annual Woodshop Tasting - Saturday, September 20th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uber-beer-geeking
not_sure_if_want.jpg

I went to this last year and had a great time. Just coincidence that I was in the area and a local friend couldn't go. Definitively going to see if I can get back there for this and hopefully with some friends.

We're set. Our first San Diego Woodshop...

Saturday, September 20th from 10AM to 6PM

Downtown Johnny Brown's
1220 3rd Ave, San Diego, CA 92101

Tickets $40 - onsale immediately - cost includes a custom glass, unlimited draft pours from our specialty kegs, beer-and-cheese pairings, beer floats, beer infusions, blind tasting showdown, access to the bottle-share

(Note: Specifics on a full food menu are still coming together, but our plan right now is to have a special food menu for the event, with reasonable pricing ~$10, but with the cost for a full meal NOT included in the $40 base ticket-- so you can choose if you want the extra food or you want to eat before/after)

Email blast going out tonight/tomorrow from [email protected] , which will include some more info about the event. Send an email with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line to make sure you're on the list, or if you got the emails from the last event, I've got you covered.

Feel free to email or BM me if you have any questions.

Should be one hell of a thing.

**** yes. I was almost not going to go, 1) because of Zwanze day, and 2) I might have been out of the country. Now my trip is postponed and this being in San Diego is perfect!

I was just thinking, maybe us TBers should meet up for a big breakfast before the fest. I know I am going to need to load up on food to make sure I don't get too sloppy drunk.

edit: hmmm this place might do perfectly.

http://www.brians24.com/menu/breakfast.html

Pastrami Reuben Omelette
Pastrami and sauerkraut covered with melted Swiss cheese. Served with pickles and thousand island on the side.

Last edited:
IN!!!

dankbeers619 (Kyle) and I will be there along with @MayorsAssistant.

jmgrub you coming down for this one?

Looking to get a hotel near the concourse so I can just get all kinds of snake-wasted.

I was just thinking, maybe us TBers should meet up for a big breakfast before the fest. I know I am going to need to load up on food to make sure I don't get too sloppy drunk.

edit: hmmm this place might do perfectly.

http://www.brians24.com/menu/breakfast.html

Pastrami Reuben Omelette
Pastrami and sauerkraut covered with melted Swiss cheese. Served with pickles and thousand island on the side.
Or, if we really wanna get stuffed, we could carpool over to Hash House.

Or, if we really wanna get stuffed, we could carpool over to Hash House.

Don't think I've ever seen food portions that big for such a reasonable price anywhere else. I always clean my plate when I'm out to eat and **** if I couldn't even make it 2/3rds of the way through my pancakes

I'm not a fan of their food per se, last time I ate there everything was bland as ****. But if you're looking to reinforce your gut with carbs and protein as a dam for the high-ABVs, it's a pretty damned great place to be.

...or, if y'all are really brave, we can find a Chinese buffet.

son of a ... right when I thought I was in the clear I was just informed my trip might be happening, meaning I will be gone for at least a month starting Sept 14th. At least I haven't bought my tickets yet.

Kinda bummed it's in SD. Always love that it's been within 30 minutes of my house in the past. Not too often we get epic beer events here in LA. I'll think about this...got a lot of options that day. Will likely depend on who else I can wrangle to make the drive or not.

Kinda bummed it's in SD. Always love that it's been within 30 minutes of my house in the past. Not too often we get epic beer events here in LA. I'll think about this...got a lot of options that day. Will likely depend on who else I can wrangle to make the drive or not.

In the same boat. Drove down and back up the same day for Full Pint's thing and I felt drained due to traffic and sun. Having it in L.A. for me meant I could uber that ride home. Gotta think about this one since Woodshop is an epic of an event.

In the same boat. Drove down and back up the same day for Full Pint's thing and I felt drained due to traffic and sun. Having it in L.A. for me meant I could uber that ride home. Gotta think about this one since Woodshop is an epic of an event.

Knowing what Woodshop has to offer, there is NO WAY I'd consider driving back to LA afterwards. So, I now have to factor in hotel costs and travel time for that weekend. Would still like to go, but with LA Beer Week starting then and Shelton Bros Fest later in the year, might have to pass up on it this year. :(

All email invites have been sent out as of first thing this morning, to those of you who have signed up for the email list and have been expecting them.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you didn't get an invite and you thought you were on the list already, or if you want to be added to the email blast.

Ok serious question: I can get a ride home after Woodshop but I'm contemplating getting a hotel nearby to bottleshare/crash afterwards. How many of you out-of-towners are going to stay in SD?

I'm going to wait to see what afterparty plans are before I commit, but I don't want to book a room until I gauge interest.

Edit: How many of you locals are booking a room downtown?

Ok serious question: I can get a ride home after Woodshop but I'm contemplating getting a hotel nearby to bottleshare/crash afterwards. How many of you out-of-towners are going to stay in SD?

I'm going to wait to see what afterparty plans are before I commit, but I don't want to book a room until I gauge interest.

Edit: How many of you locals are booking a room downtown?
I was also contemplating booking a room downtown if any locals are going to be doing afterparty debauchery, especially since it won’t cost me much more than Ubering back home.

Just to clear up some confusion and a few questions I have been getting regarding attendance capacity and availability of tickets, now and in the future:

Woodshop 9 is NOT sold out yet.

I'm not really sure where the confusion stems from, but I apologize if I said anything that was unclear.

Also, let me just point out that in the past we have opened up a little extra space after "selling out" on occasion. Specifically, at The Hermosillo last year we got a permit with the city to expand the liquor license to include the parking lot outside, which greatly increased capacity. So, in the end, we *technically* didn't "sell out", as we could have fit some more people outside in the parking lot area if we wanted to. But we did far exceed our original target capacity, and ended up with a crowd that I think all would agree was plenty for the size and amenities we had.

Also, back at Woodshop 5.1 at Blue Palms, we got permission from the Music Box operators next door to expand to include their lobby area, once again allowing for significant spillover space and more tickets available, closer to the event date.

At Downtown Johnny Brown's, we will have no such opportunity to expand. Once we are at capacity, that's it.

That said, it's always possible that there are a few last-minute cancellations among attendees who have already paid, and as the tickets are non-refundable, I try to be accommodating, make it easy, and help out with finding a replacement. So I'll keep a "waitlist" if and when we sell out, and just let people know individually if someone is looking to unload any tickets. There have never been a lot of those, but each year we have at least one or two, and I'll help out if I can.

Let me know if anyone else has any questions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back