Thank god for understanding wives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
I came home to what looked like a beer god was slain in my laundry room. No blow off tube on an imperial stout = wort from the ceiling to the floor to even a room over. I was only half Way through cleaning when she came through the door and... Laughed. Thank you jesus!

I actually commented to my wife after I had cleaned most of it up that I should have got video and pictures. There wasn't time for pics as I knew she would be in any minute. I can go get a picture of the cieling that I've yet to clean if you'd like lol. Even when I walked in to and saw it the carboy was still going off like a geyser. I had to VERY quickly sanitize a blow off tube so I hope I didn't infect anything but I doubt it with as much gas as it was putting out. This thing actually shot the airlock off of the ceiling, in to the floor and bounced it across the apartment in to the other room. I got a beer trail to prove it. All this with a brewers best included yeast that was sitting on the shelf for god knows how long!

I'm just lucky I came home when I did, by the look of it it had blew the airlock not 10 minutes before I walked in. I doubt I'll ever use an air lock again. Lol. And to her credit she busted out a magic eraser and helped me scrub down the walls haha.

Hey, you're in Louisville too! I'll come by and try it when it's ready if you need a 2nd opinion on whether or not it's infected... haha

dmbRedGetta said:
Hey, you're in Louisville too! I'll come by and try it when it's ready if you need a 2nd opinion on whether or not it's infected... haha

Lol I'll be the judge of that but I'm always looking for someone to brew the next explosion with.

I just took a small taste of this brew after 5 days and it taste great already. There are a few flavors that need to mellow out but all in all I think it will be one of my favorites yet. Should be worth the mess for sure.

I had a 5g batch of a peanut butter porter blow the lid right off of the bucket it was fermenting in. Sounded like a shotgun. Luckily it was in the shower stall in the spare bathroom (my new favorite fermenting spot) and was easy to hose down. I definitely err on the side of blow-off tubes now, though!

SWMBO was entertained after she realized we weren't under heavy gunfire.

I just took a small taste of this brew after 5 days and it taste great already. There are a few flavors that need to mellow out but all in all I think it will be one of my favorites yet. Should be worth the mess for sure.

My garage still has streak marks from my oatmeal stout spewing all over the wall and ceiling, beer turned out to be awesome, just a shame that i lost 60% of it from the built up CO2 going old faithful on me... :mug:

Awesome story.. I pitched a imp stout a little warm one time and the next morning my oldest daughter comes running up the stairs yelling daddy daddy there's beer all over the bathroom and its dripping from the ceiling... We forgot to get pictures too but we all had a good laugh... Yup I cleaned it up...

When I brewed my very first beer, an old ale, I didn't have a blow-off tube. We'd just moved into a new place, and the basement -- which is where I was brewing -- was still a mess. I brewed on Saturday when my wife was at work (graveyard) and slept in on Sunday. When I got up at around 9:00 am, I decided to go clean up the basement. I was down there for a few hours when she came down and commented on how clean it was. Just then, I peeked into the corner where I'd left the bucket and noticed that the lid had blown off and there was beer all over the place.

"Oh," she said. "That must have been the explosion that shook the floor."

"Huuhh?????" was all I could say.

"Well, after I came home from work, there was an explosion and the floor shook, but when I went downstairs things looked fine, so I thought it might be nothing."

Shortly after that, we came to the understanding that if there was ever again an explosion that shook the floor, I was to be notified immediately. We DO have a gas furnace.

When I brewed my very first beer, an old ale, I didn't have a blow-off tube. We'd just moved into a new place, and the basement -- which is where I was brewing -- was still a mess. I brewed on Saturday when my wife was at work (graveyard) and slept in on Sunday. When I got up at around 9:00 am, I decided to go clean up the basement. I was down there for a few hours when she came down and commented on how clean it was. Just then, I peeked into the corner where I'd left the bucket and noticed that the lid had blown off and there was beer all over the place.

"Oh," she said. "That must have been the explosion that shook the floor."

"Huuhh?????" was all I could say.

"Well, after I came home from work, there was an explosion and the floor shook, but when I went downstairs things looked fine, so I thought it might be nothing."

Shortly after that, we came to the understanding that if there was ever again an explosion that shook the floor, I was to be notified immediately. We DO have a gas furnace.

LOL! Good thing it wasn't anything serious! Well, you know what I mean :)

I hear ya...this just happened to me last night with a Stone IPA Cloner (Yooper's). Saturday I put about 5.25 gallons of wort into a 6 gallon glass carboy, pitched, and left it in my basement. I used slurry (WLP001 and stuff) from a previous batch, which as suggested by others, took off with a "boiling" fermentation...awesome! I thought there was plenty of volume to contain the krausen, so I didn't use a blowoff setup. I checked on it last night to find hop pellet sludge and other goop all over the couter, three feet high on the overhead cabinents and all over the floor. The pressure didn't dislodget the stopper/airlock thankfully, but instead used it sort of like a mortar tube to blast the krausen all over my basement. I laughed and was acutally impressed at the power of the mightly yeast army...my wife less so, but smiled and said...clean it up! ha ha.

Back