Thames Valley II Diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
I recently made an English bitter with Thames Valley II and Wyeast suggests a diacetyl rest with this yeast. It's been in the
primary for 8 days now. I was wondering if I could throw it into the fridge and start to chill it while still doing a rest, like setting it at 65, dropping it to 60 tomorrow, then down to 55, then crash. Normally I'd give it another week on GP, but I'm out of beer :(
There is also a Belgian special dark in the fridge already, just chilling out. Will it affect it if I bring up the temp? It's gonna be in there another 6 weeks at least.

Give the thames valley II another two-three days at 70ish for a diacetyl rest, then crash cool to serving temperature. I've been using this strain a lot lately, it does produce some diacetyl but cleans up well and makes an excellent pint by day 10 or so.

Raising the temp on the Belgian dark shouldn't be a problem.

Let me get this straight: your bitter with 1882 (the exact same style I will be making and strain I will be using this weekend) has been fermenting at room temp for 8 days? Has it hit FG? If so...when? It may be the case that your d-rest is completed. Do you detect any diacetyl in your beer?

Just took a reading. I tend to not take a reading until I wanna make a move. Call it lazy, call it cautious. It's at 1.012. Call it done. I brewed on 7/6 so it's been 9 days.
I taste no diacetyl, but there was a very slight slickness on the tongue. But it is warm and flat, and I have been drinking.

Latest posts

Back