chico strain diacetyl rest needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beren

Reaction score
I'm making a blue moon clone and it had a high SG of 1.063, and in 6 days dropped down to 1.013, fast! I've been fermenting it at 67°F. Do I need to do a Diacetyl Rest? I Tasted the hydrometer sample and there might be an off flavor but it didn't taste buttery to me, it's likely do to the 6.6% ABV that I taste something off. Should I warm it to 70 over the weekend or cold crash it and keg it tomorrow? Still new at this :)

You might want to search “forced diacetyl test” in HBT. It is a simple method to check for diacetyl.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to let the beer sit on the yeast for 3-4 days at a slightly warmer temp to help clean up fermentation byproducts. I dont think a cold-crash is necessary for that beer.

Remember, ferm temp is usually 3-5 degrees higher than ambient temp.

Oh yeah. Wheat beer is supposed to be hazy heh. It's been a really long week.

If you've been fermenting at 67°F, then the diacetyl is probably taken care of.

Isn't diacetyl more an issue with lagers fermented at lower temps?

I've been doing it to everything I make, just raise it 3-5° for a couple days before I keg it. With the inkbird wifi I don't even need to get up. I just need to decide if I should make a mini batch and very low alcohol and blend it, or just keep it strong. I just wanted to get it into a keg today to force carb and sample ;-)

Back