Testing SSR outputs on an Auber controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage Iron

Reaction score
St. Croix River Valley in Western Wisconsin
I'm in the process of getting my new 220V electric controller fired up on a test run and am in need of some help.

I bought the Auber SDPR320 controller, a 40Amp SSR, and a heat sink also from Auber. The problem we seem to be having is that the controller will not fire the SSR even though the "run" light on the controller (mashing mode) is lit. At first I suspected a bad SSR, but after testing the SSR inputs with a 9V battery per Auber's test method, the red light on the SSR will light up when it's input contacts are connected to the 9V battery, but that same red light on the SSR will not light up when the face of the SSR says it is firing.

I'm wondering if there is a way to test (with an ammeter?) if those outputs are actually putting out or if the controller is bad. Does anybody know what I should set my ammeter to if I was going to test the two contacts on the rear of the Auber controller? (Contacts #6 & 7 on the diagram here: https://www.auberins.com/images/Manual/DSPR320_manual.pdf )

I've gone over all of the wiring inside my control panel and I believe everything is correct there, so I'm 99% sure this is a problem with the output contacts of the controller.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You should be able to measure DC voltage from the back of the Auber when it is on and firing.View attachment 617972
20190317_123850.jpeg

Have you double checked the polarity of the connections from the DPSR320 to the SSR? Terminal 7 on the DSPR goes to terminal 3 on the SSR, and terminal 6 on the DSPR goes to terminal 4 on the SSR.

And in addition to checking the voltage where @BeardedBrews shows, you should also check at terminals 3 & 4 on the SSR to make sure you don't have an open wire (unlikely, but not impossible.)
Brew on :mug:

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

Bearded-
I'll go ahead and check the DC voltage like your pic suggests. That's what I was guessing, but it's always nice to confirm before plowing ahead.

Doug-
1) Yes, that was the very first thing I suspected, but terminals 6 & 7 are connected correctly as you describe.

2) I don't believe there is an open terminal @ #3 & 4 simply because it was reading (RIMS) temp of the ambient water I had dumped into the system just fine.

Back in from the garage......So, here's what I've learned. First got the controller into "firing" mode:

IMG_2784.jpg

Then tested contacts:

IMG_2786.jpg

Nuthin............

IMG_2787.jpg

I'm guessing this thing is faulty. I even made sure my meter was working correctly by posting it onto a vehicle battery. I'm going to give Auber a call tomorrow. Luckily we're just inside their 90-day warranty!

Thanks for the assistance, you've been amazing.

Back